New Vic Microchip Advertising Rules

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering they are saying the pup was flown from QLD to Vic at 5 weeks old by a registered breeder l dare say it's a scam.

I noticed that and thought it rather strange.

Maybe we have a rogue breeder here in Qld.

Could be a case of the purchaser now wanting to dispose of the pup and has thrown a spanner in the works by selling the pup on.

That is if the seller is telling the truth.

I totally agree the advertisement sounds to professional and the seller appears to know what they are doing.

But we all jump to too many conclusions and we must always remember many an innocent has been hung.

Personally I would be contacting the local authority regarding this matter and taking it as far as possible.

This is just the type of thing that many of us said would happen over the advertising of chip numbers.

If people are caught early over this and something is done and it is well publicised it may make others think before they try the same thing.

Each Brand has an individual starting sequence of number I believe.

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure.

I am like most breeders, I just comply with the rules and have never asked how the mumbering by each compay is done.

After speaking to DPI yesterday they said their only concern was that the advertiser may be using a yahoo or gmail account which can be easily closed and that's the end of that. So there's the loop hole. Honestly the seller could be anywhere in Australia selling this puppy as being in Vic, they won't supply a name or number just account details for a 50% deposit.

My poor puppy has been a victim of identity theft.

Edited by Sir Sniffalot

I would be insisting that they act, or the whole legislation may as well be binned.

As is the norm, those that do the right thing wear all the costs whilst the grubs carry on as usual.

Edited by Crisovar

I would be insisting that they act, or the whole legislation may as well be binned.

As is the norm, those that do the right thing wear all the costs whilst the grubs carry on as usual.

Exactly.

After speaking to DPI yesterday they said their only concern was that the advertiser may be using a yahoo or gmail account which can be easily closed and that's the end of that. So there's the loop hole. Honestly the seller could be anywhere in Australia selling this puppy as being in Vic, they won't supply a name or number just account details for a 50% deposit.

My poor puppy has been a victim of identity theft.

Is there any chance the controlling body of your state could be of any help ?.

Lets face it this could happen to any breeder anywhere in Aust.

I would be reporting it to them as a heads up as to what's happening.

l decided to contatced the seller myself and enquire about the pup they are selling using my microchip number, below is the reply l got.

Hi there,

Coco is a purebred american cocker spaniel puppy aged 13weeks,She is up to date on shots,micro chipped,not fix,wells socialized toilet trained and house broken.She will be coming with all her accessories and papers.I bought Coco from a breeder in Queensland,when she was just 5weeks.She likes playing with kids and even befriend strangers and other animals,as she would play very much with the kids we meet every time we go for walks at the park.Coco is like a kid to me now,I won't spent most of the day with her,feeding and training her following the instructions on the manual given to me when I got her from Jason(breeder),because i have no time to take care of her,Coco is a little bug that you would want to have as a companion,when you think of a cocker spaniel with a gorgeous face and good complexion on her coat,Its Coco you think of.photos will prove am right.She is good with humans,obedient and devoted.submissive and befriend children very well as mentioned above.Its very difficult and painful for me to give her away just now,but honestly I cannot do otherwise than getting a very nice home where she will be happy.

I am willing to accept $650 as re homing fee for her and all accessories,not leaving out any.

I know there are a lot of families out there just like yours,who are interested in Coco,but I really need to make sure she get the right home by imposing an adoption fee and asking a few questions like the oneslisted below.

What experience have you on this breed in general?

Will you be willing to send me,or her breeder photos as she grows?That's what i have been doing since I had Coco from Jason.

How many hours at most will Coco spend alone if you were to get her?

If you can assure me to take good care of Coco by giving convincing answers,we can take it from there and see where it leads us to.I have no problem organizing her transportation to you.let me know where you are located.

looking forward to your response.

Regards

Can you ask her for a copy of her microchip papers from the vet, just to confirm? Say you've been scammed before and are really wary of things so you like to double check everything. Especially as she said she got her at 5 weeks, which sound so dodgy it's not funny. And she just wants "convincing answers", not "honest answers"?

I don't care where the dog is advertised. It is always a case of "buyer beware".

I know of a pedigree dog breeder who falsified health stats and posted them around the forum and web. They did not like the lab result, so changed it to suit their requirements.

At the end of the though, if a breeder wants to do this, then they are only opening up themselves for legal action. However I think it is a good lesson learnt by anyone considering a dog.

A warning for anyone purchasing a dog.. Please make sure you see the "REAL" documents and ask for a copy of them. No use taking the word of any "breeder" that all is in order. People lie. Known fact.

In my puppy packs, I supply certified copies of all relevant health checks done on the parents.

Minimax,

Another thought to buying the puppy at "5 weeks"....

Did she actually pay for the pup fully at 5 weeks and it was shipped later at 8 weeks.. or did they actually get it sent down at 5 weeks????

I know myself, I have had people pay in full by 5 weeks. I normally ask for a deposit with the remainder to be paid when they collect their puppy at 8 weeks, or just prior to flying somewhere.

I also know from when I worked at the pound, there were a number of dogs that came in who were chipped, but no details were ever recorded against the chip. Damn frustrating when you are trying to find an owner for the dog.

As far as changing the chip, it has been toughened up and I believe Victoria is even harder. In a nutshell I sold a puppy to a person in Victoria. When I chipped them at 6 weeks, I thought I would register the chip straight into their name rather than mine and transfer it. (Never make that mistake again). At 7.5 weeks, they changed their mind and could not take the puppy. I later sold that puppy around 9 weeks. The hassle I had to try to get the chip back into my name so I could pass that onto the new owners was phernominal. While the puppy was in my name, and I could prove I was the breeder etc. They would not transfer it back to me. I could have "stolen" the puppy. As the person who bought the puppy, lived in Victoria, it was another set of rigmaoles. Essentially, they write a letter to the "owner" of the dog according to the microchip saying they have had a change of owner details and did they want to contest this. If not, send their form back and it would be transferred to the new owner. If not, then I don't know what they would do.

If they did not hear from the "owner" in 14 working days, they presumed they were not the owner of the dog and the transfer would take place.

Let me say, it was one stressful time. There was the possibility they then "wanted" the puppy thinking they could get it for free (as they wanted to pay the dog and the airfare off over 6 months - hence could not take the puppy at 8 weeks). Thankfully I had all records to contest this, however it would have been painful regardless.

We have caught out quite a few people using false microchip numbers on GT, it's a silly system, so easy to cut and paste and they don't get caught unless someone physically checks.

What were the repercussions for these people caught out, has it been acted upon?

No repurcussions in terms of fines or anything so far but we have had many ads removed from sites for breaching the rules. I figure, if you make it hard for them to advertise without a proper number they will be more inclined to do the right thing.

Same as sites like GT requiring proof of being a registered breeder to advertise over $500. Ads are reported and removed and quite often we see them pop back up under the $500 limit.

It may only seem trivial but it really does work.

Can you ask her for a copy of her microchip papers from the vet, just to confirm? Say you've been scammed before and are really wary of things so you like to double check everything. Especially as she said she got her at 5 weeks, which sound so dodgy it's not funny. And she just wants "convincing answers", not "honest answers"?

The lady that contacted me did so because the seller advised her that the breeder had not forwarded the papers or vaccination record and once it had been sent to them they would pass it on to whoever bought the puppy. So the savvy buyer googled the seller email address = found nothing, googled looking for an American breeder called Jason in QLD = found nothing, googled microchip number in the ad and found an old ad for my boy with the number advertised in it (As per Vic rules) and contacted me and asked for the pups papers.

The lady that contacted me did so because the seller advised her that the breeder had not forwarded the papers or vaccination record and once it had been sent to them they would pass it on to whoever bought the puppy. So the savvy buyer googled the seller email address = found nothing, googled looking for an American breeder called Jason in QLD = found nothing, googled microchip number in the ad and found an old ad for my boy with the number advertised in it (As per Vic rules) and contacted me and asked for the pups papers.

And you said, 'Sorry dear, not my puppy, you've been scammed bigtime'?

Sure did, then she got nasty, the original listing is basically the same as one of mine, it's a cut and paste job with a few important parts missing like l have english cockers not american and the pup is a black male not a gold female as advertised. She seemed to think l was the one running a scam like she'd caught me out for not passing on the papers to this poor soul that was having to sell their puppy.

Definitely sounds like a scam seller to me!

Not to mention - if I've tracked down the right one - that the same microchip number is being used to advertise a black male, and is also used in an ad on a different site - same wording, but in this ad there is no sex or colour listed, and this one has a photo of a gold puppy (not even sure that the photo is of a cocker spaniel, but the colour of the puppy is gold).

I don't think this is a seller who has been mislead by a rogue breeder, somehow...

ETA: Or DUH! The second ad could be your original ad Sir Sniffalot! I'm an idiot :dunce:

Edited by Allerzeit

Definitely sounds like a scam seller to me!

Not to mention - if I've tracked down the right one - that the same microchip number is being used to advertise a black male, and is also used in an ad on a different site - same wording, but in this ad there is no sex or colour listed, and this one has a photo of a gold puppy (not even sure that the photo is of a cocker spaniel, but the colour of the puppy is gold).

I don't think this is a seller who has been mislead by a rogue breeder, somehow...

That's the one, the black boy is mine that's how the buyer got my email and contacted me for the papers, the pic on the other site looks like a mismarked pup (gold with lots of white on it's face )