The Smart Id Tag To Get Your Pets Home Quicker

Nellc

Many of us now have smart phones and for those that have a (free) QR reader application you will know about the square 2D bar codes that are around. Here is a new type of pet ID tag that contains more than just Fido's name and phone number. Scan the tag with your QR app and it will bring up Fido's web profile containing, contact information for his owners including phone, email, FB, Twitter etc. Also vet information such as contact details, current medications, allergies, vaccinations and microchip number. YOU control how much information is visible.

Take a look at the FurCode tag at http://furcode.com/aff#oid=1018_5

For those with foster animals, the profile can be changed as your fosters come and go. FurCode supports rescues and shelters, discounts are given for multiple tags.

Many of us now have smart phones and for those that have a (free) QR reader application you will know about the square 2D bar codes that are around. Here is a new type of pet ID tag that contains more than just Fido's name and phone number. Scan the tag with your QR app and it will bring up Fido's web profile containing, contact information for his owners including phone, email, FB, Twitter etc. Also vet information such as contact details, current medications, allergies, vaccinations and microchip number. YOU control how much information is visible.

Take a look at the FurCode tag at http://furcode.com/aff#oid=1018_5

For those with foster animals, the profile can be changed as your fosters come and go. FurCode supports rescues and shelters, discounts are given for multiple tags.

bounce

Thanks for posting!

Great product. Free international shipping. Notice that they have a lifetime replacement guarantee for the collars.

Great product idea, but I'm not so sure about all the reviews on the side suggesting it's an alternate option to microchipping.

Tags and collars are easily removable. Microchips, a fair bit harder. They could work well together.

Great product idea, but I'm not so sure about all the reviews on the side suggesting it's an alternate option to microchipping.

Tags and collars are easily removable. Microchips, a fair bit harder. They could work well together.

Agreed, the reviews at the side aren't good. If you get rid of the 'charm bracelet' and do only the one tag, your dog could be impounded for not displaying a local registration tag . . . and in the US, for not having a rabies tag.

I love the idea. Planning on getting some.

But seeing as they have a link on them, you could easily set up your own site with the pet's profile and then just engrave a tag with a link to it. Probably cost about the same.

Edited by fuzzy82

l would worry with all that info available to anyone who found the dog they could keep it and make it feel right at home, know which vet not to go to for vaccinations, when to feed and what not to feed plus any meds it might require. If your facebook link is on there too they would even know what the real owner looks like.

You might get a ransom note via email.

I'd never rely on one of these over a good old fashioned phone number engraved on a tag for the reason AussieDog mentioned - not everyone has smart phones. You might say "well most people have smart phones" but if you lose your dog don't you want everyone to be able to access the info?

Many years ago our lost dog was reunited with us after 3 weeks missing ... because of a phone number scatched on the back of a rather faded council tag ... so I do prefer a tag with just a current number on it.

It sounds like a good idea but how many people would even known what the tag was and that there is a phone app to read it.

What happens if the person who finds your dog doesn't have a smart phone?

I don't have a smartphone.

There is a web like to the dogs profile on the other side. If you have internet access then you still get the information to get the dog home.

l would worry with all that info available to anyone who found the dog they could keep it and make it feel right at home, know which vet not to go to for vaccinations, when to feed and what not to feed plus any meds it might require. If your facebook link is on there too they would even know what the real owner looks like.

You might get a ransom note via email.

You control how much information is visible to the public or just not fill in those areas.

Smart phones don't necessarily have smart owners :laugh:

I've had my Samrt Phone for 2 yeras, and am only just catching up with it, but I know it will always be smarter than me. Everytime I think I understand it there's an upgrade (for the phone but sadly not for me)

I honestly had no idea what those little hologram things on ads were for until a few weeks ago. I don't think I'm alone.

If you have a hologram or whatever their called on the tag, your best hope is an honest 14 year old finds your dog!

I am getting used to my phone too and all the things you can do/add on to it. With so many people having mobile phones now and the newer ones so high tech, it is good that you can get instant contact details to return a dog (or cat) to it's owner withough having to find a vet to scan for chip details.

Hasn't anyone else found a stray with a phone number, only to find that the number has been disconnected . . . anyone know what fraction of the microchipped dogs out there have up-to-date contacts?

Sure, not everyone has, or knows how to use, a smartphone. But there are probably 1000+ smart phones out there for every microchip scanner. And the teens and 20 somethings know how to use them even if you don't.

The really big advantage of this product is that it lets you update information instantly. For example, my sister's dog escaped from the back of the car when it was parked when she was halfway through a ~400 km trip. With this sort of tag she could have, in effect, sent a message to whoever found the dog, giving up to date contact details and offering a reward.

QR technology is a bit new . . . but it's growing rapidly.

Hasn't anyone else found a stray with a phone number, only to find that the number has been disconnected . . . anyone know what fraction of the microchipped dogs out there have up-to-date contacts?

Sure, not everyone has, or knows how to use, a smartphone. But there are probably 1000+ smart phones out there for every microchip scanner. And the teens and 20 somethings know how to use them even if you don't.

The really big advantage of this product is that it lets you update information instantly. For example, my sister's dog escaped from the back of the car when it was parked when she was halfway through a ~400 km trip. With this sort of tag she could have, in effect, sent a message to whoever found the dog, giving up to date contact details and offering a reward.

QR technology is a bit new . . . but it's growing rapidly.

Oh I think it has advantages, for sure. But in conjunction with other ID forms not as a replacement.

Most definatley in conjunction with a microchip. You can update your details 24/7 and the changes are applied instantly. I recently captured a young dog on a "mission", the owner had just come home from work and hadn't latched the gate properly. If the dog had a tag I could have had her home in 5 mins but she didn't, I had to detour to a vet to scan her and ended up being late for work.