Sore, Dry Paw Pads

My 7 month old Staffy has been a bit tender on his front paws the last week or so. I felt his paw pads (quite by accident when i copped one to the armpit mid night time snuggles in bed) and they are very very rough, on one paw pad there is a small crack (only very small and not deep, but i don't want it to end up worse!). The seem a bit tender to touch.

What can i put on his pads to soften them up and soothe them a bit? We live in Darwin and I imagine its combination of wet season rains followed by heat and humidity over and over again every day that's drying them out. We don't do any walking on super rough / rocky ground, it's mostly on grass when we go for walks so i'm not worried about them needing to be "tough".

Any suggestions on making his tootsies more comfy?

Why do you want to soften his pads? He needs tough pads to deal with walking "barefoot" over all kinds of surfaces, even if he doesn't spend time on rough ground.

If you genuinely think they are too tender, then see a vet. There's every chance that it's not the pads that are making his front feet tender.

But tough pads are NORMAL in a dog.

Edited by Telida Whippets

Why do you want to soften his pads? He needs tough pads to deal with walking "barefoot" over all kinds of surfaces, even if he doesn't spend time on rough ground.

If you genuinely think they are too tender, then see a vet. There's every chance that it's not the pads that are making his front feet tender.

He has seen a vet when i first noticed the slight limp on and off every now and then. Even to the point of getting Xrays done.

They have gotten rougher since then - and surely cracks are not normal? I do understand the pads need to have some toughness to them - but his seem rough and as i said, one has a small crack.

He has seen a vet when i first noticed the slight limp on and off every now and then. Even to the point of getting Xrays done.

They have gotten rougher since then - and surely cracks are not normal? I do understand the pads need to have some toughness to them - but his seem rough and as i said, one has a small crack.

My dogs pads sometimes have "lines" in them - but no flesh exposed.

If you really think they are't "normal", seriously see a vet.

I agree with Telida Whippets, the pads should be tough, but there shouldn't be any cracks.

I know my dogs in winter may get a crack in the pad. I assume this is due to the cold weather and like our own skin can dry and get cracks which can be quite painful. If I notice any small cracks, I squirt some sorbolene cream in the palm of my hands and massage into the pad. Usually at night so it absorbs into the pads. I find this works quite well and the cracks disappear in a few days.

If the cracks are quite deep and causing a lot of pain, see the vet to make sure there is no infection.

Good luck.

Rub some lanolin or vaseline into them at night then wrap with a light bandage to stop him licking it, and remove in the morning.Superficial cracks are normal, but if the cracks are so deep that you can see pink flesh and he is lame, something is not right.

Thanks for the info :) I will try tho - have all of them at home. The crack isn't deep and i can't see pink underneath or anything - im just a bit of a worry wort! He is not what i would call lame, and you wouldn't notice the slight "ouchiness" i see ocassionally unless you were looking for it too. Coming from a horsey background as soon as there is any irregularity in the gait i pannic!

Try rubbing in some Papaw Ointment (red tube or tub from chemist). My boys initially got paw sore when they started working on concrete or bituman for the first time. They gots cracks and while there didn't appear to be anything majorly wrong their feet ... they were definately tender.

My boys love the foot rubs and will lay on their backs with their feet up when they see the tube :laugh: