Town Split On Dog Shootings

Maxiewolf

oh and I would be charging you for the cost of replacing the chickens and the price of the ammo used to shot the dogs. ;)

charming.

I think you left out time and effort...give the dog-owner a break. Have some understanding considering the circumstances...she explained what happened.

RIP dogs and chickens.:(

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would probably shoot the dogs too if I found them on my property molesting my livestock. Whether they were first time escapees or not is irrelevant. Roaming dogs damaging livestock is nothing new to farmers, and if I were one I would be sick to death of it. I'll be darned if I would go to the trouble to catch an unknown dog at my own risk and return it to its owners.

The way the person disposed of the dogs could have been done better, though I'll bet that with those kinds of actions that they were sick of roaming dogs and wanted to make a statement that would get noticed.

If people love their dogs they will go to whatever it takes to make sure the dogs do not leave their property.

If the dogs leave the property then the onus is on the owner, not the livestock owner. If someone leaves your gate open, its your fault for not padlocking it or leaving your dogs inside a locked kennel instead of a yard that is not really secured.

Too many times I've seen dogs wandering free and I'm sick of being accosted by dogs loose on the street. Its time owners realised that it is THEIR responsibility to keep their dogs in.

catching the dogs - sorry, not always an option, esp if they are riled up already from running around after livestock. And Dog-owner - you say you would have repaid - does that mean that you are still yet to do so, or now have no intention of doing so - whether or not you agree with what occured, your dog still inflicted damage on the farmer, and he is entitled to compensation from you - sorry, agree that whilst the farmer could have handled it a little more tactfully, you were the one in the wrong - your dogs got out, which meant they weren't too securely contained, and went off to cause havoc, which you are responsible for. As someone dealing with the aftermath of a $3000 and rising vet bill for a thoroughbred horse who will now never race, and has the most horrific leg wound from a dog attack (we believe from the neighbours dog that we have issues with, but can't prove it was the one who did it), believe me, if I had the chance to have shot the animal who did that to my horse at the time, you had better believe I would have put a shot into it too.

I'm sorry that you lost your dogs Dog-Owner. I hope the landlord has made an apology to you for letting the dogs out, I know it wouldn't help much. I hope you and the town get over what has happened.

Something like this can happen to anyone- all it takes is for someone to leave a gate open....and it wasn't Dog-Owner who left the gate open, as stated in their first post:

"Our landlord accidently left the gate open when he was doing some maintenance on the back of our house.

They were securely in their yard apart from this instance."

i]"your dogs got out, which meant they weren't too securely contained,"-[/i]Linda K

Linda K, I understand you are angry about what happened to your horse, but being bitter doesn't help you or Dog-Owner or the farmer. In the incident described, what else could Dog-Owner have done to make the dogs more secure? It doesn't matter how high the fence is or how many padlocks are on a gate when a landlord can come in and leave a gate open. The dogs didn't "get out" of a secure yard, the yard was unsecured by another person, who unfortunately as a landlord has rights of access to make repairs.

I think I would disappear old mate farmers dog to teach him a lesson in manners.The punishment should fit the crime.Whats a few chooks worth anyway.Its not like they were pulling down a prize bull.yes you can shoot dogs on rural property and I have done myself but you also have to use a little common sense.Some farmers are just wankers.

Dog-owner , I am very sorry your dogs did not receive the instant death they should have , if shot. :( :( That must have been very hard for you to discover...and I would have been devastated.

I live in the bush, and have both had a dog shot, and shot a roaming dog. Both incidences are soul destroying.

My kelpie, Jack was 12 years old, almost blind, toothless and deaf. He followed our tyre scent down to a neighbour's house...where he had been before ... and they shot him and threw his body on their tip. They had seen him on plenty of occasions ..... We were not terribly forgiving. they had no stock anywhere close ...

The dog we shot was a pig dog ...and we tried for a couple of hours to catch him, using food, and our own dogs - he would not be caught :(

next morning his owner came looking ..we were honest, and we all cried together - he was able to take his boy's body home for burial ...

It is never ever a nice thing, but when the poor dog does not die immediately, that is just cruel and uneccessary

When we lived in rural SA OH used to have a job which entailed going onto many different vineyard and farm properties. I often went with him just for the drive. Nearly every property had a dog. Not one of them had the dogs behind fences. They ranged from large purebred dogs to mutts and crosses of all sorts. Seemed like no one cared where their dogs wandered, or had the stupid attitude that dog wont leave property cause that's where it's fed.

Dog-owner...your landlord needs shooting along with the neigbour that shot your dogs to shreds!!

Wow sounds like "lets all get our guns out and start shooting" WTF.

Like someone said "whats a few chooks" may they RIP. To me it sounds like this is the first time these dogs got out and like the dog-owner said she could not comment on the note he left which sounds like he wrote some pretty nasty things....hey anyone think of shooting him?

Lets shoot the landlord, the dogs have already been shot....plenty of blame to go around.

I tell you if anyone tried to shoot any of my animals god help them, I wouldn't get a gun to shoot, I have my own brand of punishment.

Sound harsh, well don't give a rats arse what people think, but I think the dog-owner is getting a pretty raw deal here and the majority members popping up like Americans who shoot first and then think.

God help us :confused:

Wow sounds like a lot of dog owners need a reality check.

It is not ok for dogs to roam at large and menace, worry or attack livestock.

For those of you that think it is just a few chooks, that is simply irresponsible.

Spend a few months working on the land or for a rural vet and go out to calls for mauled animals.

Just a few chooks :mad

What a horrible situation.

The idea of someone else leaving doors open etc gives me the heebies. I'm in a rental property at the moment, and it was vacant for some time before we occupied it. Subsequently it's requiring a good deal of maintenance.

The number of tradies that come to the house, let themselves in, and then because they don't want to open and close the front door and screen door while going in and out to the van, they leave my front door wide open, and fix the screen door so it stands open too. Even when I've said to them 'please watch the pets with the front door', they still don't get it. I end up standing guard at the front door while they come and go.

In context, I have a dog and six cats - I always contain the dog when there are tradies or whatever coming to the house. With the cats, however, it's difficult. I can't shut them in a room for the entire day just because tradies might turn up at some point in a six hour window. When they hear the front door, they run and hide, so I can't round them up. It's getting to the point where, when I answer the door, I'm going to have to give the tradies a 'before you work in my house' speech (which, however nice I try to be, may make me look like a fruitcake and rub them up the wrong way).

For those of you that think it is just a few chooks, that is simply irresponsible.

Spend a few months working on the land or for a rural vet and go out to calls for mauled animals.

Crisovar,

I agree. All life is precious whether chooks, dogs, or livestock of any kind. It makes me dismayed to read answers here that trivilialse the death of the chooks who probably died a horrible death. All animals deserve respect.

I have seen some of the most gut wrenching sights after dogs have attacked livestock, it is not easy to erase those things from your mind. No foal deserves to be mauled before it has even been freed from its sack, or its mother mauled while she is still down. How would the sight of 50 bloodied birds some dead some still attempting to flap about sit with with most people.

It is soul destroying to have to face this time and time again because dogs run free.

The animals that meet their end with a quick bullet are the lucky ones.

Crisovar,

I agree. All life is precious whether chooks, dogs, or livestock of any kind. It makes me dismayed to read answers here that trivilialse the death of the chooks who probably died a horrible death. All animals deserve respect.

I am not triviliasing the point of the death of the chooks, but forum members seem to think a gun is the answer to about anything here..."lets shoot the landlord" etc etc.

From what I read the dogs were always secured in their own backyard and the one time that the landlord did the wrong thing, the landlord gets the blame (don't you think he feels bad for his actions?), the dog-owner has been dished out crap from others as well.

It seems easy for some of you to get out your gun and solve the problem - SHOOT TO KILL...way to go...... :mad

What do you suggest landholders do whilst dogs are mauling their stock???

The dogs wont be wearing flashing signs saying "this is an oops moment"

I live with knowledge that if my dogs got out and went wandering that they too could be shot. Of course I would be devastated, but how can I blame the landowner, it is simple, I can't.

Edited by Crisovar

I am not triviliasing the point of the death of the chooks, but forum members seem to think a gun is the answer to about anything here..."lets shoot the landlord" etc etc.

In my quotes I said nothing about using guns - I advocate a "can't happen" approach on the part of owners of all dogs. If owners figure that some day a gate may be left open and house their dogs accordingly the "oops moment" would not happen and neither livestock nor dogs would lose their lives at all.

Edited by Scales of Justice

Guest Willow

To add another point of view...a few years back my SIL was having some major renovations done on her house. She shut her dog in the garage every day before she went to work, away from the house, so he didn't bark at the builders from the yard. She lioves in a country town, and her dog is a Dally. One day a friend said "I've seen your dog wandering in town every day this week...that's not like you, what's going on???!!!!" Turns out the builders "felt sorry" for the dog being in the garage for a few hours, so every morning after she left for work, they let her dog out and turned him loose off the property to wander the town.

Thankfully nothing happened to him, but she tore strips off the builders....she HAD secured her dog and he was deliberately released to wander.

Who is at fault here???!!!! :mad

Sorry I dont need a reality check I live on the land and have done most of my life.No its not ok for dogs to roam at large constantly but if old mate had of taken the time to find out he would of seen it for what it was an accident.We are not talking about marauding pitbulls we are talking about a couple of terriers.It was not a prize bull it was a couple of chickens and the article does not even say if they were killed so most likely not.Does that warrant their death to you?I am not a do gooder or a city slicker but I am an animal lover.I dont have any chooks because a few years ago I lost 32 in about 6 months.Mostly to foxes but also had seen the neighbours dog on my property and expect he had his fill as well but as I never saw him I cant say for certain but should I have shot him anyway.He was on my land afterall.

What ever happened to giving people the benefit of the doubt.We are not talking about dogs attacking and maiming large amounts of sheep,cattle or other livestock that is a different story and yes they should get shot and we have shot dogs for this,no problem.If it was a dog you have never seen before and it was hunting livestock and not caused any damage I would return it to owner or find them and tell them what happens to dogs that do that.Then they cant say they werent warned.Everybody makes mistakes and not all farmers are on massive pastoral leases with feral dogs killing large amounts of stock,a couple of chickens isnt going to see him bankrupt.Its not just the killing of the dogs its waht he did afterwards that annoys me and that is indefensible.If he treated my dogs with such disrespect his would disappear also.Shooting them I could accept but not treating them in that way.Plenty of farmers will see it the same way as animals are nothing more than livestock to them and a means to an end but it doesnt mean you have to be a heartless c**t your whole life.I have a dog here I have had for a month she was going to get a bullet for killing sheep so I took her.She is a lovely dog and it is as much the owners fault for allowing her to be put in that situation and I dont think it warrants her life for it but hey thats just me and yes I live on the land too.

I take it his allotment size was ok to let of a firearm in? In qld it's a minimum of 40 acres. Many an unlicensed tough guy on a 5 acre rural residential block has found them selves in the poo big time, more than people with roaming dogs causing chook loss.

Rip dogs/ Chooks.

shooter could have gone about things better, people can run themselves out of town by such poor actions.