How Old Have Your Last Dogs Lived?

Blackdogs

Aust. Ch Nokomis white Deer (Imp UK) my darling Sylvester aged 10 years heart failure 1999. Pied boy

My Heart dog Mjosa Guy De Gaultier, Bear, passed June 10th 2011 aged 13 years old age, I still cry for this beauitful gentle soul :cry:. Brindle boy.

Aust. Ch. Ravanian Royal Raver, KoKo, he was one month shy of his tenth birthday, May 1997 heart failure. he was a beautiful black mask fawn, I do not have a picture of him on the computer.

There are more but it is sometime since they have passed, as I have had this breed for 30 years this year, the above are just some of them and are so very dear to my heart.

post-6593-0-99356400-1331361655_thumb.jpg

post-6593-0-90329500-1331361675_thumb.png

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not one of mine have passed away on their own but have had to be pts.

Sam at least 17yrs - Samoyed cross we think - Congestive heart failure.

Sandy 18 yrs - Labrador - Heart attack.

Danny 11 yrs - Border Collie - Prostate cancer

Cindy 15 years - Border Collie - Kidney failure

Spark nearly 14 years - Border Collie - Lymphoma but had survived a fatal Mast Cell tumour at 11yrs.

Gina 14 yrs - Border Collie - Stroke.

Shadow 5 years - Border Collie - Brain damage from bacterial meningitis.

Dharma nearly 11yrs - Border Collie - Lung Cancer.

Millie - Golden Retriever. 16yo. Was pts after her old age degeneration of her spine finally saw her unable to get up.

Phoebe - Golden Retriever. 16yo. Aspirated some vomit after getting part of a chicken frame stuck in her stomach. Lungs too damaged so was pts.

Sally - JRT - 16yo. Had a liver tumour which suddenly ruptured one hot day and she passed away. Was healthy up till this day.

Ruby my gorgeous heart dog, miss her every day! stafford cross - 9yrs old PTS cancer (several forms) and bad arthritis (she only had three legs)

Neo my partners heart dog, amstaff - 10.5yrs PTS suspected brain tumour (sudden and very dramatic behaviour changes)

nehkbet, hugs! you have had the worst luck with your pets passing so young... lucky they had the best of homes for the time they were here!!

KInd of a sad thread

Ailsa - Mini Foxie 19 years - died at home - heart

Wallce - Jack Russell 18 years - PTS - he was still in good overall health but he had been deaf since he was sixteen and when his sight went - we were unable to leave him alone as he got very distressed, very sad and I still tear up when I think of him, he was just such a great dog.

Craig - Mini Foxie - 4 years - road accident.

Gem - Collie (family dog) - 16 yo. pts due to old age when his back legs gave up on him.

Speedy - Fox Terrier (found in the street as a 6 mo puppy), suspected Liver failer on Christmas day - 15 yo pts

Harry - Shih Tzu (found in the street, approx age 5. No one claimed the charmer!)- Severe heart issues after I had him 1 year. Vet gave Harry 6 months but with meds and extra care, Harry (my heart dog) was with me until 12 yo - Suspected Brain Tumour - pts :cry:

Molly - Jack Russell (dumped by the family of previously deceased owner at 9 yo), approx 13 yo - Cancer - pts a few months ago. Sweet, sweet girl.

Ricky - SBT rescue - PTS at 16 years 9 months May 2011. We had been managing pancreatitis for quite a while, then came cancer, then old age blindness and deafness, then dementia, then some minor strokes and mobility issues. She probably would've kept going but she was becoming an accident risk anytime we weren't home.

Miss you still old girl.

Bundy - SBT Rescue - PTS at 12 years 4 months. Bundy was Ricky's son. She gave birth to him the day she entered my temp care. He was rehomed but came back to me at 6 months old with severe epilepsy as the owner was going to PTS him. I worked closely for 3 years with a naturopath and my vet and he eventually ceased fitting and came off the drugs that kept him in a constant stupor. Unfortunately he had fairly extreme seperation anxiety and was terrified of oh so many common noises. He was PTS because something had scared him while I was at work one day and he'd gotten his legs tangled into wire fencing that he tore from the garage trying to escape to help. It damaged the nerves in his spine and wasn't fixable. Even my vet was very sad but she put him on pain meds and we spent one more day together just lying on the bed cuddling and enjoying his company before we took him in to PTS late in the afternoon. He's finally at rest.

Rest in Peace Budda-Boo.

2481160170048736690S500x500Q85.jpg

Tobias, newfoundland dogs December 2011 from Lymphoma...he was a Rescue we took on at age nine

2765870010048736690S500x500Q85.jpg

Nugget...Australian Kelpie died in his sleep at the grand age of 16 October 2010, Zacky newfie, A rescue who was mistreated and had 4x strokes with us, before we PTS him at age eight (microchip gave age) May 2008

1387674522048736690S500x500Q85.jpg

Abbey, newfie...My heart dog, she had HD and died of a sudden heart attack at age nine, so sudden May 2007

2238593530048736690S500x500Q85.jpg

Fred, working kelpie, best work dog ever...He was PTS at age 17, very weary, nearly blind and deaf....became extremely confused :( November 1998...Our year from hell Three dogs died and two horses within three months. :cry:

2864881930048736690S500x500Q85.jpg

Jessy newfoundland dog...Died during Surgery age eight. Sadly her best pal Cody the Rough Collie died a month later...she died due to the stress of losing Jessie at 11 years old, September 1998 and October

1086966299048736690S500x500Q85.jpg

Lobo Terveuren.....PTS at 15, due to severe pain from arthritis and unable to control, May 1985

Josh Newfie cross....Was hit by a truck at age ten, because some bloody fool left our gate open....he was such an awesome dog, loved by all and loved everyone, August 1990

Little Brick, Border cross..He was bitten by a snake at age 2 ....such a waste of a good little worker, 1987

We still miss them all, they were all great dogs, that were truly loved....makes me feel sad just seeing all their faces tonight. But they will always be remembered.......... :cry:

Edited by newfsie

I'm loving reading all the stories... it does read like an honour roll... all these lovely dogs waiting for us at the Bridge...

My Woosie died in 2004 - and I still choke up when I think about her or try to talk about her. It's going to be a great day when we are finally together again and cross the Bridge - that will be my heaven...

T.

Tara (Doberling Miss Marika) dobermann 13yrs old. Given her wings in 2004 after a seemingly minor fall that she never recovered from.

I still think of her most days and hold off getting another dobe because I know they will have a hard time meeting my expectations.

ETA - she is the black beauty on my AV.

Edited by greydobe

This thread is so far removed from the scientific data-type thread I envisaged. Incredibly moving, so interesting.

My heart dog was hit by a car at age 11 and died instantly. She was an intelligent, intuitive little terrier x. The first dog that was really mine. She was with me through so much.

Thank-you for cementing my love of dogs and changing the course of my life. I love you and miss you.

My last lost love was Strolchie, my 6 year old GWP, who ran away with his brother Struppie into dense bush area.

He was missing for one week, he had swam a river, because of cold weather/rain affecting his arthritis, was not able to swim back with his brother, unable to be located. The following morning, I found him drowned, he had tried to come home, but was too weak to climb up a small bank covered with thick bull rushes. My husband had, in his excitement, forgotten to close the farm gate, after a tractor was delivered. I still fret for him. He just loved to pose for me, see photo. I was so proud of my boy, and life was wonderful while I had him.

P10002452.jpg

Sadly, other pets I lost over the years:

Lumpy-GWP-1 1/2 year old, took with me when horse riding, got killed by car when crossing hwy, my mistake.

Merkel-GWP-16 years old, had to be put down because of old age.

Raudy-GWP-14 years old, developed heart failure because of tooth decay.

Haegar-GWP-6 1/2 years old, was injured by wild boar when pig hunting, pig tusk sliced him open and damaged outside of heart.

Clarky-GSP-1 3/4 year old, snake bite when taken hunting.

Benjie-grey Kelpie-8 years old, tick paralysis.

Bobby-Stumpy Tailed Blue Heeler, 2 years old, distemper.

Guest donatella

Reeva 16 Weimaraner PTS heart problems

Mischka 16 Weimaraner (her sister) PTS the next week, she went off her food, wouldn't drink, was dehydrated, wasnt the same dog, couldn't live without Reeva so the family decided at 16 it was her time too :(

Edited by donatella

Our two lovely Golden Retrievers both lived to 16.

Molly our oldest became extremely incontinent and had a real struggle in getting to her feet on slippy tiles. After 8 months of her struggles and us trying to help, though we loved her dearly, it was our saddest day when we finally gave in and decided to call the vet to our home and say goodbye.

Max , our boy, lived a year longer but started to suffer with terrible episodes of going ballistic and banging into windows as he ran around the garden with some sort of fit. Then he started getting epilepsi fits that was very scary. In the end we again had to make that terrible decision to let him go peacefully.

Our two darlings was our children that we never could have and we still miss them dearly. However, we now have Milly, our Maltese Shitzu who also is loved equally as much but who is totally different in personality. She rules the roost (almost!).

I believe that living in Australia, giving our dogs 2 walks every day plus love and caring as a family member helped to give our Golden's a long and happy life.

This is my first posting and I am not sure if I am going to ve able to add photos but will try. If I am unable to, could someone tell me how to do it?

Shopaholicros

Edited by shopaholicros

Guest Clover
:cry: Reading this thread. so many beautiful dogs lost, but many have lived long great lives by the sounds of it. Edited by Clover