Best Crates For Trialling & Classes

Hi,

Since trading in my canopied ute for a hatchback, I've only had occasional opportunities to go to trials or training, and I've mostly made do without a crate. My wire crates are just too big to fit satisfactorily, so I was wondering about a soft crate. I would appreciate any suggestions on the best crates (or other methods of confinement) to use at trials for medium to large dogs (border collies and possibly my GSD).

Something tough enough to withstand a youngster would be ideal, but comfort for the dog and portability are probably more important...if I'm taking the pup and will need to crate him, I'll just have to fit in the wire crate somehow.

K

I have a roof racks with a basket on my Mazada and it holds 2 very large soft crates, my chair and a floor mat ( have yet to unpack from yesterday :laugh: ). If you are young/strong enough you could chuck a wire crate or two up there.

you can buy the compost bin panels to make up a crate. you assemble them 2 panels on one side, and one on each end the 2 on top to make a large sized crate. it collapses down quite small and will fit in any car. you buy 2 at $25 each (from buntings or similar and assemble with zip ties looks just like a crate.

You can get soft crates that fold up into a bag just like a camping chair. This would fit in any car. sounds like it is just what you need :thumbsup:

I've had this style...they weren't bad, but they are really fiddly to set up, and the door is only on the long side, so you don't have a lot of options for setting it up if you're at a busy competition

you can buy the compost bin panels to make up a crate. you assemble them 2 panels on one side, and one on each end the 2 on top to make a large sized crate. it collapses down quite small and will fit in any car. you buy 2 at $25 each (from buntings or similar and assemble with zip ties looks just like a crate.

Ohh I never thought of that, I was looking at buying ccrates pen but that just bigger will do just nicely!! Thanks for the tip!

I Have an Impreza hatch, so it's not that roomy once the crates, gazebo, chairs and dogs get in. The wire crates can make a mess of your boot and interior if you are squeezing them into a smallish space- definately try and get some sort of cover to protect the interior. If you are having to manoeuvre crates into the back seat and someone is parked next to you, you or the other car could end up with scratches from the wire crates too. I'm told there are also crate carriers that mount to a tow ball (if you have one), it would be easier to load the wire crates onto than roof racks.