Found: Aussie Shepherd

percyk

My friend lives in Glenwood...she rang just now with the news that a golden/merle type marking aussie shepherd wandered into her house late this evening

no collar

friendly

overweight somewhat

didnt appear hungry nor thirsty

will be taken to the old northern rd baulkham hills vet in the morning to check for microchip

and hopefully reunited with owner

it is very late i know and chances are that noone can help before morning anyway but please pm me if you hear of anyone missing this beautiful dog

my friend may be forced to take the dog to blacktown holding facility if theres no microchip...and we are both worried what will become of this animal if he isnt microchipped

maybe aussie shepherd people could help out?as in....should the dog be impounded...could someone bail him out after the seven days expire?

neither my friend nor i can look after this dog and we know that the pound is the right way to go...just hoping this can be avoided

and the owner is located tomorrow

thanks in advance for any leads or advice

Oh no! From what I understand there are not too many dodgy Aussie breeders around so hopefully there is a microchip!! Good on you and your friend for trying to help.

Hopefully you'll get a hit from here if not a microchip, if not please PM me, I'll check throughout tomorrow. I'm in Canberra but I can probably arrange to come get him/her to look after I need be, I have an Aussie here and could manage to put up another one ;)

Fingers crossed owner will be found ASAP!

Oh no! From what I understand there are not too many dodgy Aussie breeders around so hopefully there is a microchip!! Good on you and your friend for trying to help.

Hopefully you'll get a hit from here if not a microchip, if not please PM me, I'll check throughout tomorrow. I'm in Canberra but I can probably arrange to come get him/her to look after I need be, I have an Aussie here and could manage to put up another one ;)

oh thank u so much saxonpup

is it actually illegal to keep a dog even if youre looking for the owner?

something is in the back of my memory...is it not something akin to stealing to keep it on your premises>

i know that the pound is the obvious option

but both my friend and i would be horrified if our actions led this dog to being pts

doesnt bear thinking

ill just hope the owner can be found tomorrow

really goes to show that collars and tags are a must

couldve been home safely by now if that were the case

I know there has been discussion on here about having found dogs at home rather than taking them to the pound but I don't think it's illegal...I'll take the risk if need be anyway. Personally I'd much rather my dogs be in someone's home than a pound, so long as they were trying to find their owner.

I also agree about tags, again people on here talk about the risk of injury from collars, which is fair enough I guess, but I feel the risk of them getting out is higher and I'd rather they have my number and address on them. Having said that, they can slip collars, chew through, just been washed etc etc.

I'm confident you'll find an owner by microchip :) but if not, happy to help.

Hopefully you find the owner with a chip then.

The pound is the best place for him. It is where people will be directed to look for their dog if they start calling around.

Having a dog "cared for" entirely out of its local area is simply a stupid idea and results in the chances of the actual owner being found reduced to nearly zero if he is not chipped. It is the good intentions that often end up with the bad results. Plenty of people would like a"free" Aussie shep but doesn't mean you should have someone else's.

Scan him for a chip in the morning and then either let the pound collect him from vet or take him to pound on monday. If he gets impounded and the owners find him, they will then be encouraged to collar and tag him in case he gets out again in the future.

If you are worried that his owner can't be found from the pound, you can always put your name down for first option to adopt him after his time is up.

Hi There,

please contact the ASCV or ASCNSW if the dog is not 'chipped. I don't know about the NSW club, but I know that the ASCV has an active rescue group and we have brought dogs over from interstate before to also re-home, or re-homed and supported if the foster carer is interstate.

helps them from ending up at a pound.

Feel free to PM me. Permission to cross post?

oh thank u so much saxonpup

is it actually illegal to keep a dog even if youre looking for the owner?

something is in the back of my memory...is it not something akin to stealing to keep it on your premises>

i know that the pound is the obvious option

but both my friend and i would be horrified if our actions led this dog to being pts

doesnt bear thinking

ill just hope the owner can be found tomorrow

really goes to show that collars and tags are a must

couldve been home safely by now if that were the case

Yes, technically the person who found the dog cannot keep it or anyone else while 'actively trying to find it's owner'. Because there are many variations to 'actively'. You can send to the pound (I think you have to) but it's then that rescue groups can assist and at times, they can help find the breeder etc etc and work out a fate for the dog. Most pounds are able to work with rescue groups in this sense, even if the dog does have minor behavioural issues.

Dasha there is no way I'm after a "free Aussie Shep". I have my own, along with other animals and have no interest whatsoever in taking someone else's. If I did I wouldn't post about it on the Internet.

I'm not going to explain the full possible course of action that I, percy and percy's friend might take should it turn out that the dog is not microchipped but don't lose sleep about me trying to steal someone's dog.

Hopefully you find the owner with a chip then.

The pound is the best place for him. It is where people will be directed to look for their dog if they start calling around.

Having a dog "cared for" entirely out of its local area is simply a stupid idea and results in the chances of the actual owner being found reduced to nearly zero if he is not chipped. It is the good intentions that often end up with the bad results. Plenty of people would like a"free" Aussie shep but doesn't mean you should have someone else's.

Scan him for a chip in the morning and then either let the pound collect him from vet or take him to pound on monday. If he gets impounded and the owners find him, they will then be encouraged to collar and tag him in case he gets out again in the future.

If you are worried that his owner can't be found from the pound, you can always put your name down for first option to adopt him after his time is up.

oh dont worry...noones intending to score a free aussie shepherd

but i dont think my friend had an option but to keep him overnight

she has two little kids and she didnt want to leave them nor bundle them up in the car to take to the vet which is about half an hour away at least and what with the expected delay there ...at least thats what the cliinic told her

so yeah...the pound is the obvious solution

i just hope the owners think of ringing round the pounds

lots of people dont even realise that the pound should be their first port of call

fingers crossed for a happy reunion tomorrow

Hi There,

please contact the ASCV or ASCNSW if the dog is not 'chipped. I don't know about the NSW club, but I know that the ASCV has an active rescue group and we have brought dogs over from interstate before to also re-home, or re-homed and supported if the foster carer is interstate.

helps them from ending up at a pound.

Feel free to PM me. Permission to cross post?

yes yes please

any help in creating awareness would be wonderful

ill post tomorrow if my friend has had any success in finding the owner via microchip...

i doubt that the vet will keep him there

so please cross post

this dog is lovely

doesnt appear to have any issues

I was just thinking about why the pound isn't option 1 in my head for a found/lost dog, I think in Canberra the RSPCA is more known than the pound and we know they are closed overnight (except maybe a cage outside, but it gets cold here!!). Also we have a lost/found list on the Domestic Animal Services (pound) website so people can match up lost and found dogs by description from home, without the need for dogs to go to the pound. Good system I think, ive seen it work within hours with dogs I've found and brought home.

Chip or no chip the dog should go to the pound.

Any rescue groups or good intentioned public can get it from there.

I would be so pissed if my dog got out because I was away for the weekend, get back on Sun afternoon and the dog is in another state..................

Would certainly look bad for the person or rescue group rehoming a dog before it had its allowed legal time to be re united with it s owner.

I won't lose sleep over it don't worry............ won't be my problem if the proverbial hits the fan.

Chip or no chip the dog should go to the pound.

Any rescue groups or good intentioned public can get it from there.

I would be so pissed if my dog got out because I was away for the weekend, get back on Sun afternoon and the dog is in another state..................

Would certainly look bad for the person or rescue grou

rehoming a dog before it had its allowed legal time to be re

united with it s owner.

I won't lose sleep over it don't worry............ won't be my problem if the proverbial hits the fan.

Please take the dog to be checked for a microchip, if none the pound is where this dog should be.

That is so the owner can actually find their dog.

Put your name on him if you want to rescue him when his time is up, IF it came to that.

People amaze me when they think they don't have to follow protocol.

Edited by Bite Me

Saxons pup - this dog is at NO risk of PTS. someone can put their name on him so when his time is up he can be sprung from the pound. There would be plenty Of people wanting to adopt him if his owners couldn't be found. Any smart rescue group would snap him up quickly.

Your intentions are good but if you hold onto a dog you reduce it's chances of being reunited with it's owner. Things get lost in translation eg Aussie becomes BC. Good owners go to the pound and eyeball the dogs so that nothing gets missed.

These threads make my stomach churn because i imagine someone holding onto my dogs if they get lost, all while I frantically search pounds and streets for them.

Saxons pup - this dog is at NO risk of PTS. someone can put their name on him so when his time is up he can be sprung from the pound. There would be plenty Of people wanting to adopt him if his owners couldn't be found. Any smart rescue group would snap him up quickly.

Your intentions are good but if you hold onto a dog you reduce it's chances of being reunited with it's owner. Things get lost in translation eg Aussie becomes BC. Good owners go to the pound and eyeball the dogs so that nothing gets missed.

These threads make my stomach churn because i imagine someone holding onto my dogs if they get lost, all while I frantically search pounds and streets for them.

oh im sure id be over and beyond worried if my dog went missing

but as i said my g.f had no option but to keep the dog overnight

she went around with neighbours late at night looking for a possible owner but then had to return home

nobody else would have anything to do with the dog as far as taking it anywhere or keeping it overnight and my gf is on her own and has young kids...wasnt goign to drive to blacktown pound and leave the dog in a cage

or go to the vet when it was near eleven pm

i just spoke to her and she had a sleepless night trying to keep the poor thing quiet

it does have some training as far as sit goes but is very unruly on the lead...she took him out this morning again for a bit but

its still early and people arent going to be pleased being woken up if she goes doorknocking

i am the one worried about the pound

i remember a story from here where a dog was pts despite someone putting their name down and offering it a home if the owner wasnt found

i dont remember the whole story and i dont know if it was a nsw pound either but thats the only reason i advised my friend to go to the vet first and check for a microchip

also i know that some people wont want to pay the fine for having a dog impounded ....so maybe if they get the dog back without it having to go to the pound...things might turn out ok

if the dog is a regular escape artist then there is a problem...

Is it so infeasible to think that the pounds couldn't have a site where a description or notice of "found" dogs could be put up? Even for a nominal fee, if it is time and hence money they'd be concerned about.

My preference, if something were to happen that my boy was able to venture out, would be for someone to take him in, have him scanned, and me be contacted without him having to go through and endure the pound system, at least for the first little while.

Edited by Erny

The Council here do have a Lost & Found page easy to use, easy to find, free to list, you can even upload a photo, people here rarely use it for Found animals, preferring to use facebook instead. Makes no sense to me, lots of lost animals listed and people are always ringing the council when they lose an animal, but those that find them don't think the same. :confused: