Found: Aussie Shepherd

percyk

Is it so infeasible to think that the pounds couldn't have a site where a description or notice of "found" dogs could be put up? Even for a nominal fee, if it is time and hence money they'd be concerned about.

My preference, if something were to happen that my boy was able to venture out, would be for someone to take him in, have him scanned, and me be contacted without him having to go through and endure the pound system, at least for the first little while.

I agree Erny and I believe if you find a dog and contact your local vet. And ours do have a AH pager number and are happy to chat and arrange to meet you next working day to scan said dog, then you have done the right thing and it is clear you are not holding the dog illegally. If the dog isn't microchipped then let the pound procedure begin.

okay!

all good!

my girlfriend is a champion

lol

she rang round all the local vets with no answer

decided to go to blacktown holding facility since old northern rd baulkham hills only hold dogs if injured

on the way she spotted a vet ...open

the vet gave her the scanner...since the dog was too heavy to get in and out of the car

g/f couldnt get a tag...but vet finally came out and did the job in the car...hooray!

name and number located

but not answer

so the pound looked like an option

but

my g.f is no quitter so she kept ringing the numbers and got answer

result:

took the dog back to its home in same suburb but long way from where it was found

grateful owners wanted to pay off her mortgage as a reward

but she said no

thats the kinda gal she is

she settled for the box of choccies

lol

( ok...slight embellishment there to make u all gasp ...lol)

hooray for microchips

and yeah i agree with erny

id rather get my dog back in the short term via a neighbourly act and be spared the penalty and the dog not being unnecessarily subjected to the sights and sounds and smells of fear at the pound

collar and tags people!

and a microchip scan at the vet

two easy ways to locate a lost pooch quickly

thanks for all the offers of help and advice

youre all champs!

really goes to show that collars and tags are a must

couldve been home safely by now if that were the case

i just hope the owners think of ringing round the pounds

lots of people dont even realise that the pound should be their first port of call

The dog might have been wearing a collar when it went missing and lost it along the way and most people know about pounds and would check with a pound first before doing anything else.

Glad the dog returned home but sheesh some big assumptions here.

I only just saw this as i live in Glenwood, i do know someone with an aussie, but its a girl and very well behaved :laugh:

If i ever find a lost dog i take it to the vets on the other side of Old Windsor road, which comes under Baulkham hills council, which means the dog gets to to to HP , instead of BP, not somewhere i would wish any dog to go.

really goes to show that collars and tags are a must

couldve been home safely by now if that were the case

i just hope the owners think of ringing round the pounds

lots of people dont even realise that the pound should be their first port of call

yes big assumptions and they were right

my gf and i reading the posts now...having a cuppa

and yep the dog had no collar

the owner slipped a slip chain on him...didnt have a collar even at home

my gf told them on the phone as she was getting ready to turn and head back to their home that they should consider getting collar and tag and sure enough when she handed their pet back...they said theyd 'been thinking bout it'

and as far as the pound...they didnt ring any pound even tho the dog had been missing since yesterday afternoon

so

no

not all people know what to do

didnt even really realise thatd thered be a fine/penalty to be paid at the pound

at all

'Glad the dog returned home but sheesh some big assumptions here'

yeah sometimes dogs do lose their collars during their misadventure but i know of lots of people who dont have collars on their dogs when at home...fears of strangulation or even wrecking the fur around the neck prior to a show

Edited by percyk

I only just saw this as i live in Glenwood, i do know someone with an aussie, but its a girl and very well behaved :laugh:

If i ever find a lost dog i take it to the vets on the other side of Old Windsor road, which comes under Baulkham hills council, which means the dog gets to to to HP , instead of BP, not somewhere i would wish any dog to go.

ok thats good info juice..thank you

so you prefer hawkesbury pound?

would you mind sending a pm with details of that vet that feeds into hawkesbury

is it the one near bunnings? i dont know the area very well but my gf is looking for a new vet in the area ....has glenwood got a good vet?

I do not think keeping a dog at your home overnight is a big deal, especially if it is found in the evening or at night when most vets and pounds are closed.

As long as it is taken to the vet or pound the next day and scanned for a microchip.

I do have a problem with people who hold onto to dogs for days without notifying or taking the dog to the local vet or pound. That is a sure way of making sure the dog is never found by its owners

I dint have a problem with overnight and taking to the vets, but if no chip is found I'd rather my dogs go to the pound and not kept by someone (which I know the Op wasn't trying to do, but it is what saxonsmum seemed to be implying).

I dint have a problem with overnight and taking to the vets, but if no chip is found I'd rather my dogs go to the pound and not kept by someone

me too and I'm not about to put collars on my dogs either for "just in case they get out". My dogs play hard and part of that is grabbing ech other around the throat, no way I am risking coming home to a couple of dead dogs. The chances of that happening are much, much higher then of them getting out.

I dint have a problem with overnight and taking to the vets, but if no chip is found I'd rather my dogs go to the pound and not kept by someone

me too and I'm not about to put collars on my dogs either for "just in case they get out". My dogs play hard and part of that is grabbing ech other around the throat, no way I am risking coming home to a couple of dead dogs. The chances of that happening are much, much higher then of them getting out.

Agree.

Pro-K9 was at an official doggy event some time back and a stray dog was attracted to the sight because of all the other dogs there. Lovely dog. A bully breed, STRONG as an ox (tore my hands even with a good lead)but so friendly - didn't seem to have a vice in his body. I couldn't leave him to wander and merely hope he'd meander home so at the end of the event I took him to the local Vet for chip scanning.

They scanned, found the owners' details and rang them. No answer. I had planned to hold the dog until the owners could be contacted. The Vets informed me that because they'd scanned the dog they were legally obliged to take the dog in AND that if the owner could not be contacted by the end of that day, they would have no option but to report to the pound and have the dog picked up. This dog was mature and as I said, strong as an ox .... and being a bully breed (mixed, I'd suggest - probably described as being a medium/large in size) I was sorely concerned that the dog mightn't make it through to adoption. But there was no way the Vets were letting me leave with the dog.

Fair enough that they couldn't give ME the phone number/owners' details - that would be confidential. But is it really law that if they've scanned them, the Vets have to keep them for handing over to a pound if the owners can't be contacted?

Just for those who might be curious : Happy ending to the story - they managed to get hold of the owners' friends. Turned out the owners were away and the friends were taking care of the dog. Anyway, they came, picked up the dog and saved it from a pound process.

The issue is mostly Erny, that people are just not honest anymore. How does a Vet know you are taking the dog back to the address you say you are? What if you give a false mobile no. because you really like the look of the dog and think you might keep it?

Also, I would be LIVID to the point of calling a solicitor if a Vet Clinic had scanned one of my dogs and then let Joe Citizen just waltz out the door again with it, what if they then demanded money for me to get my dog back from them? That is the whole reason why I chip my dogs.

Soooooo many things can go wrong, leaving a microchip positive dog at the Vet is just the way it has to be.

People seem to be very worried still about dogs going to the pound, 8 days is a long time to find your dog if you are concerted enough to go down and look through the pens.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Then there are the dogs that turn up on your property in the middle of a hard day's work, sending your own dogs crazy. Own dogs crated for everyone's sanity. You catch the dogs, ring the number on the tag multiple times and finally someone answers. The owner is working, can't get there, says it happens all the time and suggests you let them find their own way home. You insist on them doing something. Wait for owner's partner to ring back who then finally turns up, collects one dog and leaves old, arthritic dog to find its own way home :eek: Own dogs still not impressed with dog in yard and are still crated. Ring owner multiple times with no success. Old dog eventually wanders home.

Next time the dogs are going straight to the pound.

Then there are the dogs that turn up on your property in the middle of a hard day's work, sending your own dogs crazy. Own dogs crated for everyone's sanity. You catch the dogs, ring the number on the tag multiple times and finally someone answers. The owner is working, can't get there, says it happens all the time and suggests you let them find their own way home. You insist on them doing something. Wait for owner's partner to ring back who then finally turns up, collects one dog and leaves old, arthritic dog to find its own way home :eek: Own dogs still not impressed with dog in yard and are still crated. Ring owner multiple times with no success. Old dog eventually wanders home.

Next time the dogs are going straight to the pound.

Don't blame you, I got heartily sick on sending my daughter up the hill with next doors dog in tow each time it came into our paddock and chased my horses and Jersey cow. :mad

The last time I just penned the dog and let tehm come looking ofr it.

The owner still asked my daughter if she'd seen the dog, she syas "mum's penned him" so he hands my daughter a lead and asked her to bring it home for him!! :eek:

I have learnt to treat "repeat offenders" with less concern. They know where they live. Problem is, as you say, they make a nuisance and upset our own dogs.

The vet is the Sydney Animal hospital , its the location that makes a difference as to which pound they go to, Glenwood side of Old Windsor road means they go to Blacktown pound.

I admit i say i have found them on the other side of the road when i take them to the vets, as i know they will then go to hp, much nicer pound, and if not reclaimed more chance of making it out alive.

They are not my vet, used them once, never again, i go to Blair, from quakers hill vets , near schofields. :)

There's nothing wrong with taking a dog to get it scanned as a first action, it can be less stressful for the dog and owner than going to a pound. I think it's the location of where the dog is found and not the vet that determines which pound. If anyone lives in Glenwood area, the vet in the Kellyville Pets complex seems to be open all weekend and reasonably late too and they do scan if you take the dog in to them. I took a dog there a little while ago to locate the owner. Baulkham Hills Vet on Old Northern Road has held a dog while the owner was on their way when I took a previous stray there.

Re: Pounds- I would hate to be searching the Pounds while my dog was being kept somewhere else, but some pounds have bad reputations, so people are scared to leave the dogs at pounds. For this reason, Councils need to do more to promote their pounds as places for dogs to be kept safely so owners and pets can be reunited quickly.

Not all pounds/councils are that competent.

I've picked up an un-chipped dog before causing havoc in front of my house. Vets refused to hold it as 'it may not be vaccinated'. Council wouldn't do a God damn thing besides hand me a card with the rangers number and tell me that he probably wouldn't answer now anyway so either take the dog home or let it go. Not an option at that time.

Ended up walking the streets for an hour trying to find the owner before tying the dog up in a relatives yard and ringing the ranger repeatedly until he finally came and collected him. (quite a few hours later). No idea what happened to the poor thing...

I've also picked up a young un-chipped pup only to be told by the distressed vet nurse to 'please take her home, she'll die in the pound tonight it's so cold'. Luckily found the owner two streets over. Who hadn't thought to contact the pound.

I no longer pick up other peoples dogs.

Another win for microchipping. But it can add on time, if vets aren't opened. So I can understand a situation where someone kept the dog overnight. But council should be informed.

The Brisbane Council keeps a data base where finders and losers can call in with details of a dog. If both do, then the dog can be returned as soon as the owner can come get it. That's a pretty trouble-free and quick way of doing it.

If the dog's got current rego on its collar, it's even easier. The finder tells the Council person the rego number & they get the owner's contact from their data base & call them. Then switch owner thro' to finder to arrange pick-up.

Edited by mita