Natural Remedies

Anna H

I am mainly using the Benedryl so that we can try and get some sleep at night....

Yes I can totally empathise!!!! I had three cases of it back to back... one after the other in three dogs. One got better and the next one started with it... Thank goodness for using homeopathics as they all got over the acute stage of coughing within four days. All up though... we wouldn't have slept for nearly two weeks without using cough suppressant at night! :laugh:

Two of the dogs were vaccinated to C5... the other to C4. :shrug: there are obviously plenty of strains out there not covered by C5... makes me wonder why we bother with the extra vaccination (more money for vets and pharmaceutical companies I guess).

NB: the dog vaccinated to C4 actually was less ill than the other two.

Edited by blacklabrador

Hmmm... that hasn't been the first time that I've heard that dogs vaccinated with C4 were less affected by KC than those vaccinated with C5...

Makes you wonder :laugh:

"Seal Like" is definately the best word to describe the coughing... almost a honking noise, very annoying!

My two definately have not lost their appetites in any way.. still wolfing the food down as per usual. I would always go see a vet if I was suss that the virus was getting out of hand, but at this stage, we are coping... that, and the vet will only probably try and prescribe anti-biotics (for a virus?!?! Go figure) which I don't want to use unless they actually need them. They are bringing up a bit of sputum, but it is only clear/frothy white stuff, so not worried there.

Thanks for your help guys... I'll let you know how we go over the next few days.

Last Q tho... How many days is it considered 'normal' for this coughing to continue?

I have read that the course of the virus can be 2 -3 weeks... I found that after the coughing was over Poppy in particular would cough when she pulled on the lead - some some residual airway irritation which was triggered by the pressure on her throat - she was only about 18 weeks when she got it.

Be careful with honey as it "can" take the breath away. The best way to give honey is to buy the honey in the squirty pump packs and write 'dog' on it, they way you wont get it mixed up with your honey and get slobber on your toast. With the dog laying on it's side, lift the flew and pour the honey in the side of the mouth on the top gums, this way it wont take your dogs breath away.

For kennel cough, the "usually" need OAB's and soft foods (even soaking the biscuits in some cases).

Benadryl (cough mixture) can be brought over the counter at most good chemists and pharmacies, it's "usually" what the vets prescribe inconjunction with OAB's anyway.

Good Luck,

Elise

Well, good news... we are all getting a bit more sleep at night now. Both aren't on Benadryl anymore and only cough when they've been playing hard in the backyard.

Looks like I'll be able to take them out for walks again soon... woohoo!

Thanks for your help everyone...

Great News, just keep an eye on them, my pooch appeared to have recovered from her cough and was still eating fine and being a silly goose and ended up getting a 2nd bout which turned into bronchitis, she was anti-botics for close to a month but at the time I wasn't aware of other medications except for the anti-botics and just did what the vet said.

Abbey has also always been immunised against Kennel Cough but picked it up when she was young from the new puppy next door. The new puppy had been chosen from the pound and Abbey and her loved each other on sight and spent all their time with each other at the fence. Puppy had a slight cough but had been protected by her mother's milk. Abbey though, got a horrible bout of it. I took her off to the vet and she was put on some anti-biotics and some cough medicine. Cough medicine was a lovely pink colour, so when she was coughing and hacking up flem, it came up pink. :laugh: Still, it was a horrible thing to watch your dog go through. Made me really feel for those parents whose babies get whooping cough.

post-22-1111933784.jpg

Guest starprincess

Hello, this is my first post here.

My 12 year old English Cocker Timmy has had Kennel Cough before and he seems to have a cough that occurs occasionally...

Would Benadryl be ok to use on an old dog? He previously was using Linctol Cough Suppressant.

How much would I give him?

If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated from Timmy (and myself!)

:rolleyes: