Guide Dog Puppies Bred By Jail Inmates

mrs tornsocks

Story in today's paper about some 'lab' puppies bred in Sydney in jail for the guide dogs.

In the picture gallery, mum looks very much like a golden retriever to me. Or maybe just a really dark yellow lab but I don't think so.

Did the vet supervising & the inmates not realise ???

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-nsw/yellow-labrador-puppies-delivered-by-inmates-at-emu-plains-correctional-centre-for-assistance-dogs-australia/story-e6freuzi-1226296363926

The article says dogs are to be used by Assistance Dogs Australia... not Guide Dogs ?

Cute pics..and I hope the pups become someone's security and help :)

I saw a presentation by Assistance Dogs Australia at Martin Place in Sydney. They are running a puppy training program in the juvenile facility (and adult holding facilities too?), where inmates are taught how to train a dog and care responsibly for an animal - it was having great success for both sides.

DId people not actually read the article.

It states they are for assistance dogs.

It was planned and organised as part of the inmate program for them to look after the mother then pups before the pups go to other prisons to be raised.

Assistance dogs used Goldens and Labs and crosses of the 2 so maybe the paper is the one getting the actual breed wrong but really the rest of the story looks pretty straight forward. No need to read more into it and make out that there is accidents and stupid people breeding dogs in jail.