Can You Feel Your Dogs Microchip?

Cavstar

Half of my last litter has moved and all before they were 5 months of age. :mad

So are they now hard to scan? :(

That would be a big problem unless the operator was dilgent and went along the whole dog up,down and across.

Not a problem if the scanner does it properly but a problem with my boy as it may affect his movement which is why I will most likely get it removed. My bitch's has moved down to her shoulder as well, moved after 4 years, but it's not in a position to cause a problem. If either were to get lost I would be saying microchip is on right shoulder.

That would be a big problem unless the operator was dilgent and went along the whole dog up,down and across.

Not a problem if the scanner does it properly but a problem with my boy as it may affect his movement which is why I will most likely get it removed. My bitch's has moved down to her shoulder as well, moved after 4 years, but it's not in a position to cause a problem. If either were to get lost I would be saying microchip is on right shoulder.

I see, thanks Reb. As small as a grain of rice, but in the wrong place could be very irritating. :(

I see, thanks Reb. As small as a grain of rice, but in the wrong place could be very irritating. :(

They are a bit bigger then a grain of rice. I thought Fern had got a splinter under her skin at first.

No I can't feel my two but I know Stan's is down near his tail somewhere.That's where they found it last time he was scanned.

Did it start out between the shoulder blades?

Yes it did.Stan was my first foster and when I was filling out the paper work they kept running the scanner over him to no avail.She accidently found it when in her frustration(knowing he was chipped)ran the scanner down his back and beep there it was.Yes it worries me that if he ever got lost they would not find his chip.I don't leave collars on my dogs which I know now is against the law but I had a very bad experience from leaving a collar on when I'm not home.

Rebanne I did not know you could have them removed. :o

Guest donatella

Nope too much fluff although I did feel the scab at the insertion point for the first little bit.

Edited by donatella

I have felt a lot of dogs microchips while grooming them, some are much easier than others to find.

When Hamish was having his xrays done the vet questioned me about his chip, I told him he is done, he did him so keep looking. Took a good 5 mins or so but it is now located near his left elbow.

Some pounds only do a rudimentary scan at the spot they are supposed to be located in... if the chip has moved, then they won't find it. Scary, but true. I think it's just plain lazy myself...

T.

Makes you wonder how many chipped dogs aren't reunited with their owners because they were never scanned properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found my boys in about 3 seconds... But my dog is hairless :laugh: It's right at the base of his neck, hasn't moved a bit.

I can't find the 2 poodles chips but the hair doesn't help.

When our cocker arrived we could not find his chip anywhere, second vet came in with a different scanner and just as he had given up it beeped. The chip is down between his chest. He as was a rescue at 2 years and l do worry if he got lost no one would find the chip down under there.

So at dog training on the weekend the trainer was talking about dog handling.

She asked if we could all feel our dogs microchip which apparently feels like a grain of rice.

Everyone else in the class could feel their dogs.. except me :(

The trainer said sometimes they have been known to travel as far as the tail but given she's only 5 months old she thought it would be unlikely :confused:

Can everyone else feel their dogs?

Yes

So at dog training on the weekend the trainer was talking about dog handling.

She asked if we could all feel our dogs microchip which apparently feels like a grain of rice.

Everyone else in the class could feel their dogs.. except me :(

The trainer said sometimes they have been known to travel as far as the tail but given she's only 5 months old she thought it would be unlikely :confused:

Can everyone else feel their dogs?

Yes

edited to add: on 2 of our cavs and one of my tibbies.

I can feel Bella's microchip, it has moved around behind her elbow. I knew exactly what it was as soon as I felt it, I had volunteered at a microchipping day at the obedience club so knew exactly what they look like, and there was no mistaking what it was.

Not on my lot, too thick skinned

I have had one implanted into the fleshy part of my thumb once so I know exactly what they feel like anyway :laugh:

Now we can't lose you! :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't! Phew :)

When she goes to the vets next I'll get them to scan it so I know where it is :)

And note it down so next time you will know if it has moved significantly. :)