New Camera

huga

No noise reduction at all (I don't have any).

You should see them cropped to 100%, it has floored me. I am shooting an engagement party tonight and can't wait to see how it goes.

I 2nd Ange, but when I read up on dpreview and compared the 5DIII to the 800 there was no glaring reason to change, might do what someone suggested one of these days and try hiring them to compare - but I guess to get a proper comparison you would need to put the same lens on, so maybe a sigma or something, but don't know if the hire places do Sigma.

Edited by helen

Awesome pics as usual Huga. What did you upgrade from??? I was looking at the d700 as the d800 is way to megapixel rich, more than i think I need. Looking to move from dx to fx....is the difference noticable aside from the low iso benefits?

I upgraded from the D300s (although I have kept it as back up, it's still a good camera).

I am suprised at the amount of difference, I seriously didn't think I'd notice it that much. The biggest differences for me are:

- The quality in low light

- The full frame is lovely. My 24mm on the FX is sooooo wide. I love it.

- The detail when I zoom in is beautiful, I can crop so much more.

- There is far more detail in the darker areas.

- I seem to be able to blow my whites more and still recover them (I discovered that after shooting the engagement party on the weekend with my new flash).

- Everything is slightly sharper, especially eyes

- Backgrounds are different, bokeh is different - nicer, creamier.

• 5 weeks later...

Are you still loving the D700 Huga?

I'm thinking of jumping ship and going to Nikon and D700 is one of the cameras I have been look at.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind!

If you had the extra funds would you have gotten the D800?

Which Nikon lenses do you recommend as I don't have any?

Yes :D

Just took it for its first wedding run too. It's a thing of beauty :laugh:

All my images are tack sharp at 100%.

I don't think I would have upgraded (or maybe I would have, but it would be pointless really). I can't remember the specs, but I think they are 36 MP? Massive file sizes, especially as I shoot in RAW. It would be overkill for me. It would be handy to have the ability to take movies, but that would be for personal use, I wouldn't use that part professionally. It's a whole lot of camera (both the 700 and 800). I guess it depends on what you are using it for?

Lenses - I have the 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8 and 105mm 2.8. The 24mm is so very wide on the FX. I did want something wider when I was just using the D300s, but now I don't think I'll bother. I also have the SB900.

Edited by huga

:thanks: !!

Glad you are still loving the camera.

I will be using it for animal photography mainly with the odd casual family event thrown in the mix.

I was going to go over budget and get the D800, but I think it's a bit overboard for my needs, when I could use the extra dollars to buy some good lenses!

Will definitely get the 50mm as used that lens a lot currently on my Canon;

When looking online there was 50mm 1.8D & 50mm 1.8G, can I ask what the difference is?

Sorry for all the questions! :o

One has the autofocus motor in the lens and one doesn't. I can't remember which is which, obviously the more expensive one has it and the cheaper one doesn't. Only a problem with the entry level models that don't have the motor in the camera. Mine is the cheapy and it does a brilliant job.

One has the autofocus motor in the lens and one doesn't. I can't remember which is which, obviously the more expensive one has it and the cheaper one doesn't. Only a problem with the entry level models that don't have the motor in the camera. Mine is the cheapy and it does a brilliant job.

Awesome, thank you so much! :D