Puppy Instructions

minimax

If you were looking after someones puppy for them, whether just for the day or for a few days/overnight what info or instructions would you want left?

I've done some sheets up with all her vet details, and will attach copies of her vaccination details and microchip details, but I can't think of anything else someone would want or need to know.

I've listed what her usual diet is, what she's allergic to (nothing), her favourite games and toys, and any little "personality quirks" she has - what else should someone know?

Discuss what happens if they puppy is injured (or dies) while in your care ... are you responsible for costs etc even if it is an unfortunate accident ... ie all care, no responsibility.

Discuss what happens if puppy requires urgent medical treatment and you can't get in touch with them - are they happy for you to make welfare decisions etc.

Find out what the household rules are - is puppy allowed on the furniture, on the bed, do they have have to sit before eating, are they crate training. Is puppy scared of anything ... do they have issues with other animals / storms / vaccum cleaners etc.

Agree as mentioned above. Medical information is especially important.

If I leave my dog with someone who does not know everything about her they get a ~2 page document that covers feeding (amounts, times, location, command), play information, emergency phone numbers (vet, me, emergency vet, other people who can make decisions regarding her outcome), any relevant medical history (or recent obs that may be relevant), pet insurance details, information for when walking (I have a reactive dog!!) and commands (the word and in some cases the hand signal and what the behaviour should look like).

I do go a bit over the top, but my last dog had intensive medical requirements!! But if it is saved as a document it only takes a moment to update it to be relevant!! People who look after her regularly do not have to get this all the time!!!

I reccently house sat and looked after a dog, I have to say more information is better than not enough - I was missing information that would have been very useful in terms of dealing with the dog day to day.

Also something that I think could be important in some circumstances might be information on training methods - my dog does not do well with aversives in many situations and she is very sensitive if yelled at (or if someone is yelling angrily near her even if it's not at her), so that is important information for people who look after her.

Yeah I do go over the top a bit don't I??!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Also something that I think could be important in some circumstances might be information on training methods - my dog does not do well with aversives in many situations and she is very sensitive if yelled at (or if someone is yelling angrily near her even if it's not at her), so that is important information for people who look after her.

Yeah I do go over the top a bit don't I??!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't think that's over the top at all, it's all important info!

If I was leaving my dog in the care of family/friends (which I will be) I would detail my feeding routine. I don't just put the bowl on the ground and say eat; she goes to her crate, I place the food on the ground, call her to me, go through basic training and only when I say "it's yours" can she begin. By basic training I mean sit, stay, lie down, shake/hi five. Takes like ten seconds.

She runs to her crate at dinnertime now =]

From a boarding kennel point of view clients sign that vet treatment must be sought ,costs etc etc.

We will try withing reason to fill the needs people want BUT some people want extreme,s so you also need to find a happy middle ground that both parties are happy with & both parties can complete.

Not all family/friends are dog savvy & want to do all the extras, after all there doing you a favour & not all understand that doing the exercises incorrectly or not the way we would means they can learn bad habits so this is where i believe what we would do & what we expect others to do must be realistic & simple for them to want to do & complete .