Raw Diet Question

I have a staffy, greyhound and a foxie who are all doing well since changing to a Raw diet which i make myself. Do other DOLers use offal in their raw diets? What sort and how often? Would dried liver chunky pieces be the same as feeding raw?

Edited by skyesblue

I have a staffy, greyhound and a foxie who are all doing well since changing to a Raw diet which i make myself. Do other DOLers use offal in their raw diets? What sort and how often? Would dried liver chunky pieces be the same as feeding raw?

If you mean liver, heart, tongue and kidneys etc. yes. I use dried liver as a treat only.

I feed Liver & Kidneys at a rate of about 10% of their diet. I use natural dried Liver as treats and if they have had a lot of it they don't get as much in their raw.

Tongue and Heart are muscle meat and I do not count them as offal they get fed whenever I get them.

Tongue is good chewing. :)

I feed Liver & Kidneys at a rate of about 10% of their diet. I use natural dried Liver as treats and if they have had a lot of it they don't get as much in their raw.

Tongue and Heart are muscle meat and I do not count them as offal they get fed whenever I get them.

I do work on about 10% but they love the dried liver as a treat too.

Thanks for the info re tongue and heart. I didnt know that but it makes sense now i think about it. :o

granted, but heart, is classed as offal, but I too feed it as a muscle meat.

granted, but heart, is classed as offal, but I too feed it as a muscle meat.

Only because most people these days class it as awful ;)

from what i've read, dogs require about 15% offal/muscle in their diet whereas cats need about that to 25%; i have 2 dogs and a cat so when i make up their raw mix [5kg p/month], i work on 20% of that being offal/muscle [to raw meat ratio]:

3 kg raw [human grade] meat;

400 gm chicken/turkey neck;

300 gm offal; and

300 gm muscle meat

= 4kg

offal and muscle should be from a mix of species [if possible].

to that i add about 900 gm of low glycemic veg with the balance [to 1 kg] being carrot.

= 5 kg

30 serves for bob [the cat at 80gm per day] with 13 days per month [at 50 gm each per serve] for the dogs [the remaining 17 days comprise meals of fish and or chicken and or egg with a pumpkin/fruit mix]

Offal meats are nutritious but also very rich. Offal should be included at the rates described already - which are safe levels to feed your dog. There is such as thing as too much, especially liver - but it is important to feed as part of a balanced diet. I use dried liver (and other dried meats) as treat foods as others do. I only buy human grade offal from the butchers and freeze before using.

Haughty McNaughty, you are in Tassie I see. Aren't you aware that it is illegal to feed offal (even human grade) to dogs because of the hydatid risk??

ETA: <paste>It remains illegal in Tasmania to feed or allow dogs access to cooked or uncooked offal from cattle, sheep, goats or pigs. Offal refers to all internal organs from these types of animals.

Fresh livers and hearts from butchers shops and supermarkets should not be fed to dogs.<end paste>

http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/webpages/cart-6sa36r?open

Edited by ellz

Haughty McNaughty, you are in Tassie I see. Aren't you aware that it is illegal to feed offal (even human grade) to dogs because of the hydatid risk??

ETA: <paste>It remains illegal in Tasmania to feed or allow dogs access to cooked or uncooked offal from cattle, sheep, goats or pigs. Offal refers to all internal organs from these types of animals.

Fresh livers and hearts from butchers shops and supermarkets should not be fed to dogs.<end paste>

Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of this for Tassie. Does the ban here include chicken livers? I have read that poultry does not carry this disease. Looks like I've got some more reading to do. :) Thanks for the link - I'll have a look.

Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of this for Tassie. Does the ban here include chicken livers? I have read that poultry does not carry this disease. Looks like I've got some more reading to do. :) Thanks for the link - I'll have a look.

Have read the info on the DPIW site. For others who are interested, I have written to the department, seeking clarification on poultry. The information is quite specific regarding cattle, sheep, goats or pigs but silent on other species.

Have read the info on the DPIW site. For others who are interested, I have written to the department, seeking clarification on poultry. The information is quite specific regarding cattle, sheep, goats or pigs but silent on other species.

I've had a response from DPIPWE and they have advised as follows:

" The ban only applies to the contents of the chest, abdominal and pelvic cavities of sheep, cattle, goats and pigs – these materials are defined as offal for the purpose of the ban. The feeding of this material only relates to the feeding of dogs. You can legally feed these materials to your cat, and you can feed any part of a chicken to your dog."

This means chicken livers get the thumbs up! :D