Inquest Into Death Of Ayen Chol To Examine Council Policies On Identif

tybrax

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/ayen-chol-inquest-to-examine-registration-of-restricted-dog-breeds/story-fn7x8me2-1226300185880

A CORONIAL inquest into the death of little Ayen Chol will examine if the dog that mauled her to death in front of horrified family members was an American pit bull.

At a pre-inquest hearing yesterday Coroner Kim Parkinson said she will investigate the identification of dangerous dogs including American pit bulls and various cross breeds.

Ms Parkinson also said she will investigate the policies of Brimbank Council in identifying and controlling restricted breeds.

Four-year-old Ayen died on August 17 last year when the powerful pit bull strayed into the family home in Lahy St, St Albans and launched an unstoppable attack.

Ms Parkinson described the death as a tragic event that affected a number of people, particularly the relatives of the dead child.

She said the inquest was not a commission of inquiry but it would look at dangerous-dog regulations before and after the attack and if anything could be learned from the fatality.

A number of people who were witnesses to the death will give evidence, but the little girl's mother Jackline Ancaito will not be required to testify to save her further distress.

Ms Parkinson said the inquest would hear from a vet and a veterinary nurse about the killer dog's demeanor after it was captured and about the way it was confined by its owner.

Lasor Josevski has been charged with one count of owning a dog that attacked and killed a person, two counts of owning a dog that attacked and caused serious injury, three counts of owning a dog that chased or worried a person and one each of owning a dog at large and owning an unregistered dog.

He is due to appear in Sunshine Magistrates' Court in April. The coroner heard it was hoped to have his case completed before the inquest.

Mr Josevski and his son will be called as witnesses at the inquest.

During the incident, Ayen's 31-year-old cousin Anglina Meymout fought desperately to fend off the vicious animal.

Ayen was clinging to her mum's leg when she was fatally mauled.

Ms Meymout suffered bites to her arms and hands as she desperately tried to beat the dog away with a table.

Her daughter, Nyadeng Goaer, 5, suffered scalp injuries as the berserk dog went for the children, who were watching television.

The tragedy unfolded when a cousin, who owns the house, was walking a family friend to the door and the dog confronted them.

The inquest will commence on August 27 and is expected to last a week.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heart goes out to this family, what a terrible thing to have to go through.

Ms Parkinson said the inquest would hear from a vet and a veterinary nurse about the killer dog's demeanor after it was captured and about the way it was confined by its owner.

I wonder if this information will be made public. I'm particularly worried by the statement 'confined by its owner' - is this a statement suggesting it was allowed to fee roam, or was it constantly shut up inside and was never exposed to the world at large?

My heart goes out to this family, what a terrible thing to have to go through.

I wonder if this information will be made public. I'm particularly worried by the statement 'confined by its owner' - is this a statement suggesting it was allowed to fee roam, or was it constantly shut up inside and was never exposed to the world at large?

Coroner's reports are usually made public.

A CORONIAL inquest into the death of little Ayen Chol will examine if the dog that mauled her to death in front of horrified family members was an American pit bull.
Four-year-old Ayen died on August 17 last year when the powerful pit bull strayed into the family home in Lahy St, St Albans and launched an unstoppable attack.

This was, no doubt, a tragic incident, but should this not say "the alleged pit bull" instead of "the powerful pit bull"?

Also, as far as I recall, the owner did nothing to try and stop the dog, other than "call it"...... Nobody who wasn't there can know if the attack was unstoppable. The owner may have been able to pull his dog off the child easily, if he so desired. Who can know, when he didn't even try?

This makes me even more angry, that the dog was described as "the powerful pit bull" when it is by no means proven that the dog was, in fact, any "kind of pit bull".

Lasor Josevski has been charged with one count of owning a dog that attacked and killed a person, two counts of owning a dog that attacked and caused serious injury, three counts of owning a dog that chased or worried a person and one each of owning a dog at large and owning an unregistered dog.

If it is unregistered, how do they propse to prove that it is an American Pit Bull Terrier? They do not even seem to be able to correctly name this breed, not to mention determine if an unregistered dog is a memebr of said breed or not.

This whole article seems very poorly presented, with emotinal words interjected for greater impact and to me it lacks any kind of professionalism and makes me afraid for any outcome of this "inquest". I can almost guarantee, that more BSL bull will follow, instead of real solutions to the problem of irresponsible, bad owners.

If the dog turns out to be a lab x staffy, some kind of mastiff x JRT or some other bizarre mix that may or may not pass a viual inspection as a "pit bull", we will probably either never hear about this again, or the media will ignore it and continue to call the dog a pit bull.

Why is this inquest focussing on the breed of the dog, not on the circumstances that it's owner kept it in and how it was allowed to escape? Why is the dog, and not the owner the focus of this whole thing, if not to allow for more BSL to be implemented :mad

This whole article seems very poorly presented, with emotinal words interjected for greater impact and to me it lacks any kind of professionalism and makes me afraid for any outcome of this "inquest". I can almost guarantee, that more BSL bull will follow, instead of real solutions to the problem of irresponsible, bad owners.

If the dog turns out to be a lab x staffy, some kind of mastiff x JRT or some other bizarre mix that may or may not pass a viual inspection as a "pit bull", we will probably either never hear about this again, or the media will ignore it and continue to call the dog a pit bull.

Why is this inquest focussing on the breed of the dog, not on the circumstances that it's owner kept it in and how it was allowed to escape? Why is the dog, and not the owner the focus of this whole thing, if not to allow for more BSL to be implemented :mad

The inquest will examine all issues relating to cause of death.

As for the quality of the article, I'm only surprised you expect better from the media. They are more interested in selling column inches than objective and factual reporting.

Wait for the Coroner's Report.

Hm, yes, my bad, I always expect factual reports and then return to my corner in shame after getting served this kind of fudge >.<

That Coroner's report will be a very interesting read and I hope somebody links to it once it is released, because I always seem to miss these things when they happen :p

I am also extremely interested in the dog's behaviour after the attack up to its death. Surely it must have been obvious to the owner that the dog was likely to be dangerous if released, so why keep it in such an urban area? This death could most likely have been prevented by sensible decision making by the owner.

Edited by BlackJaq

Why is this inquest focussing on the breed of the dog, not on the circumstances that it's owner kept it in and how it was allowed to escape? Why is the dog, and not the owner the focus of this whole thing, if not to allow for more BSL to be implemented

This!

While I can understand why pit bull owners are concerned about their breed getting yet more bad and possibly unwarranted publicity, what on earth does the breed of the dog have to do with this?

Any dog can be dangerous and sadly, this particular one was. On every account, this tragedy was caused by the owner of that dog and they should be held accountable.

Why is this inquest focussing on the breed of the dog, not on the circumstances that it's owner kept it in and how it was allowed to escape? Why is the dog, and not the owner the focus of this whole thing, if not to allow for more BSL to be implemented _______________________________________________________________

This!

While I can understand why pit bull owners are concerned about their breed getting yet more bad and possibly unwarranted publicity, what on earth does the breed of the dog have to do with this?

Any dog can be dangerous and sadly, this particular one was. On every account, this tragedy was caused by the owner of that dog and they should be held accountable.

Who says the inquest is 'focussing on the breed of dog"?? The media?

It's ONE factor be considered because coronials also look at how deaths may have been prevented. If the Coroner finds that the dog was not a banned breed and that council policies had no effect in preventing attacks by dangerous dogs, then that will be a GOOD thing.

Seriously guys, don't circle the wagons BEFORE the Coroner's report.

Edited by Telida Whippets

Why is this inquest focussing on the breed of the dog, not on the circumstances that it's owner kept it in and how it was allowed to escape? Why is the dog, and not the owner the focus of this whole thing, if not to allow for more BSL to be implemented _______________________________________________________________

This!

Who says the inquest is 'focussing on the breed of dog"?? The media?

It's ONE factor be considered because coronials also look at how deaths may have been prevented. If the Coroner finds that the dog was not a banned breed and that council policies had no effect in preventing attacks by dangerous dogs, then that will be a GOOD thing.

Seriously guys, don't circle the wagons BEFORE the Coroner's report.

I agree- the reporter has just targeted the most obvious thing. The article wouldn't be as amazing if you tried to blame it on a "lazy owner" or perhaps a broken fence as opposed to the killer dog!!

The focus thus far has been on the dogs so it gets an easy emotional reaction from the audience with no work at all by the reporter!

Hm, well I have to admit, I was assuming this:

At a pre-inquest hearing yesterday Coroner Kim Parkinson said she will investigate the identification of dangerous dogs including American pit bulls and various cross breeds.

Ms Parkinson also said she will investigate the policies of Brimbank Council in identifying and controlling restricted breeds.

Was what the actual inquest was going to be about.

Of course the author of this piece of erm..... rubbish could just be making up their own theory as to what the inquest is investigating.

I found these three lines very provocative to begin with, so didn't stop to think that maybe the real intent is different to the one stated here.

And yes, the whole breed thing sells. Makes me honestly doubt the average intelligence of the Joe Blows out thee who gobble this crap up like it is Ambrosia...

Hm, well I have to admit, I was assuming this:

Was what the actual inquest was going to be about.

And yes, the whole breed thing sells. Makes me honestly doubt the average intelligence of the Joe Blows out thee who gobble this crap up like it is Ambrosia...

It will be about what EVERY inquest is about. Determining the factors leading to, and cause of death of the subject and potentially making recommendations about how further such deaths might be prevented.

In the same way that Coroners made recommendations about pool fencing in child drowning cases for years.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/ayen-chol-inquest-to-examine-registration-of-restricted-dog-breeds/story-fn7x8me2-1226300185880

Very sad case :cry: ... but it is nice to see balanced reporting ;)

smh.com.au

From The Age

Coroner to probe tragic Ayen's mauling death

March 15, 2012

Get your Free CFD Trial Account Start trading today with GFT.

Dog regulations will be under the spotlight later this year when a coroner examines the “tragic” death of three-year-old Ayen Chol.

Ayen was killed by a neighbour's dog in St Albans last year in an attack witnessed by several people.

The dog's owner has been charged and is expected to contest the charges in court later this year.

Advertisement: Story continues below

Today, coroner Kim Parkinson said that in the inquest later this year she would examine how Ayen died, the nature of the dog attack, how Ayen came to be confronted by the dog, the arrangement of how the dog was secured and how it came to be at large on the day.

She said she would also examine the type of dog involved, how such dogs were regulated and what, if any, steps had been taken to regulate their management before and after the attack.

“The circumstances of the death of little Ayen are tragic and has clearly affected everybody concerned in this proceeding,” Ms Parkinson said.

“The inquest will be conducted in a timely manner and in a way that will minimise the impact for any further impact of this tragic event on the persons concerned.”

The Coroner's Court heard that the dog's owner told police the animal was a German shepherd but the council had supplied information suggesting that the dog was either an American pit bull terrier or a pit bull terrier.

Ms Parkinson said that Ayen's mother, who had given a comprehensive statement to police, would not be called to testify at the inquest.

But two women who were at the house and saw the attack would testify.

The dog's owner will also be required to testify. Ms Parkinson said that any application for him to be excused will be heard at the inquest.

The inquest has been scheduled for August for five days. Ms Parkinson said she was trying to ensure there was no significant delay for the family.

“In recognition of the distress that the delay may cause the family of little Ayen,” Ms Parkinson said.

Two neighbours who had contact with the dog on the night of the attack, four police officers, the council ranger, the veterinarian and a council manager will be among the other witnesses at the inquest.

It is listed to begin on August 27.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/coroner-to-probe-tragic-ayens-mauling-death-20120315-1v60b.html#ixzz1pHjLT2du

The Coroner's Court heard that the dog's owner told police the animal was a German shepherd but the council had supplied information suggesting that the dog was either an American pit bull terrier or a pit bull terrier.

I'm pretty damn sure that the police would know whether or not if the dog was a GSD.

Sounds like a jerk (and more) of an owner.

Edited by F11

Correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't a GSD look COMPLETELY different to a Pit Bull?

Is there any footage or photos of the dog in question?

Then again "Pit Bull" sells papers... "GSD" doesn't...

T.

As far as I am aware, there has never been a photo released of the dog. None.

I am glad they are having a Coroner's Inquest into this. At least we may find out some facts and explanations regarding the whole tragic incident. Step in the right direction hopefully.

the dog was a mixed breed i though, how are they going to determine what breeds made up the dogs breeding? I didnt think DNA testing could unequivocally identify what breeds were in the mix. and what is this going to prove anyway?