• Too expensive
    • Pet's too old
    • Too many prior conditions
    • Can afford to pay outright
    • Don't trust them
    • Pets should be euthanised if too costly to treat
    • Pets are healthy/won't need it
    • I have pet insurance
  3. 3. If yes, which company are you with?

• PIA
    • Pet Plan
    • Bow Wow Meow
    • Medibank
    • Pet Secure
    • Vets Own
    • PetSure
    • 1300 Pet Insurance
    • Rea Insurance
    • Pet cover
    • PROSURE
    • Other
    • Woolworths
    • I don't have pet insurance

Can't vote . It tells me I have to vote in each question, but I can't vote in question 2 as I have insurance.

Fixed it.

No, you haven't. Also PIA appears in the list twice

Fixed the PIA duplicate. What else needs to be fixed?

Edited by Blackdogs

I have 2 dogs with 2 different providers. Mia is with RSPCA - she came covered by them - with a diagnosis of HD. If I change her to Medibank Pvt - who Charlie is covered by - they won't cover HD as it is pre-exsisiting.

Esky, I know you were not asking me about 2 different providers but thought I would throw this in as a point of interest.

I have half my dogs covered- so answered yes. I am slowly saving up money to put the rest on there.

Up till last year I had been really lucky with my dogs but then had a shocker year!! My older dog is on it and the younger idiots, I would like to have my dogs covered by the time they are 5yrs of age. They do dog sports so the risk of injury is higher than the average pet so for me it seems like a no brainer!!

I don't have it any more. Was with pet plan. They refused to pay for some tests to see why Charlie was losing weight. They got a printout from vet which said he had a condition I had not stated. Nonsense. He had been to the vet because he was always eating things in the yard and vomitting. He had no condition. He was a puppy. He is fine now and doesn't eat yard things now. I was more interested in insurance for ticks but they don't do that. Probably because it's likely to happen. I doubt I will get it again

I'm considering getting it for my horse, but not for my dog - if something horrific happens, we'll see if we can afford it, otherwise I'd prefer to put him down. Especially if he won't have good quality of life - would much prefer him to be happy and healthy rather than on meds and the like. I guess I was bought up by my dad for whom pets weren't worth the money (he was concerned when I said I was gonna study equine massage :p "Nobody wants to pay money for that!" ) and if it got too sick you put it down. I kinda agree - to a point.

Financially, if I bought a dog off a breeder, I'm putting quite a bit of money into the animal, so I'd get it insured for sure.

As much as I love my animals, I won't go into a heap of debt if they get really sick. That's just me :)

Don't have it for several reasons.

1. I have too many animals to make it feasible! Guaranteed that if I took it out on some animals, it would be the non-insured ones that developed problems!

2. I think they are great if you insure the animal from the day you bring it home, but otherwise they will try to weasel their way out of paying. They pick through vet records and do anything they can to try and find a 'pre-existing condition'.

3. Too many things are not covered.

I don't have it any more. Was with pet plan. They refused to pay for some tests to see why Charlie was losing weight. They got a printout from vet which said he had a condition I had not stated. Nonsense. He had been to the vet because he was always eating things in the yard and vomitting. He had no condition. He was a puppy. He is fine now and doesn't eat yard things now. I was more interested in insurance for ticks but they don't do that. Probably because it's likely to happen. I doubt I will get it again

I have one dog with Medibank and the other with Pet Plan.

Medibank have paid out over $10K promptly (for Max for mostly emergency intensive care and follow ups afterwards) and apart from a small stuff up everything was done easily and quickly - most payments were paid via EFT within 10 days of submitting paperwork.

Pet Plan on the other hand kept trying to tell me that Remy had an ear infection (never had one in his life). They told me the claim (for eating something he shouldn't have) was being processed when in fact it was on the way back to me because I hadn't filled in some small area on their very complicated form. The processing time seems to reset when the form is resubmitted, so it will be something like 6-8 weeks easy, before I see any money from them. That is IF they pay it because although they have had the claim for 3 weeks on the second attempt, they still can't tell me if it is actually approved or not. Oh, and they only pay by cheque so with my unreliable service from Australia Post there is a good chance the cheque will go astray as well!

The upshot is I won't be renewing with Pet Plan. The bureaucracy is unbelievable and they don't trust your vet or their knowledge.