Feeling Frustrated

After much thought, my partner and I decided to adopt another rescue dog, and as we have a large property I decided we would go for one of the larger breeds that perhaps otherwise wouldn't be easy to home. I found a gorgeous older dog and gave the rescue place a call; the lady I spoke to asked me to fill in an online form. The link was on the dog's page.

So I filled in this form and sent it off; no response after a month.

I filled it in a second time and send it; again it has been a month with no response.

I've called again and left a message but still waiting for a return call.

Feeling frustrated! Aren't rescues keen on homing their dogs? I would have thought that even for some reason we did not suit their requirements, we would have received at least a courtesy email or call.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty poor form imho.

Is the dog somewhere you close you can go meet her? Probably in foster care I just realized so prob not that easy

Hope you get an answer soon

I would love to go meet her if they actually got back to me. It was love at first (web)sight and now it feels a bit disappointing tbh.

Thanks for your message too will respond shortly

Same thing happened to me - about 6 or 7 times. I eventually gave up on rescue.

I "thought" I had a good home to offer but apparently either something about my application rang alarm bells with them or they were just too busy to get back to me. Either way, you have to REALLY want that rescue dog and be very persistant, patient and prepared to fill out a lot of forms and be open to a lot of scrutiny. Also, best not to get too attached to a dog until you are actually taking him/her home. The one dog we did get to meet and were basically told that she was ours, was given to someone else the next day due to a office bungle.

The dog may even have been rehomed and they just haven't updated the site. That happened to us a few times also.

Edited by WeimMe

Same thing happened to me - about 6 or 7 times. I eventually gave up on rescue.

I "thought" I had a good home to offer but apparently either something about my application rang alarm bells with them or they were just too busy to get back to me. Either way, you have to REALLY want that rescue dog and be very persistant, patient and prepared to fill out a lot of forms and be open to a lot of scrutiny. Also, best not to get too attached to a dog until you are actually taking him/her home. The one dog we did get to meet and were basically told that she was ours, was given to someone else the next day due to a office bungle.

The dog may even have been rehomed and they just haven't updated the site. That happened to us a few times also.

They keep bumping her on petrescue so either she is still available, or they are bumping it for exposure?

I don't mind being persistent after all they must be very busy, but I work in sales full time and even on my busiest days can squeeze in a quick 1 minute call at least to let someone know I will be back to them ASAP.

Kajtek very cute puppy! Lots of awwwwwing from me :D I wouldn't mind a puppy but trying to pick up something that might not be so easy to find a foster home for; ie older dogs/needing large spaces to keep. We are priveleged to have acreage so it's nice to use it to give something back.

Edited by tunagirll

There is no excuse at all for not gettting back to people. It is very unprofessional. Unfortunately there are alot of new rescue groups coming on to the scene that are not as 'shall I say' reputable as others. I hope this does not deter you from welcoming a dog into your life that really needs that second chance. Sadly there are too many of them out there.

Who could know. The foster carer that I did get to meet up with told me that they were not returning calls/emails because they thought that a friend of theirs wanted the dog. Don't feel too bad if for any reason you get passed over. I learned from that particular person that they had knocked back applications simply because they didn't like the attitude of the prospective owner. After all this time I would personally be assuming that either the dog is no longer available, or that for some mysterious reason, you are not deemed suitable.

Tunagirll I had pretty negative experiences with 2 of the 'foster-out'-style rescues in WA too. The first group I called I had to call 4 different people before I found anyone who even knew where the dog was :eek: Turned out it had already been adopted by a fosterer anyway. The second group just didn't get back to me for ages, by the time they did I'd already adopted Fox since I assumed it was a 'no' (which it was).

I ended up getting my dogs from Shenton Park & K9, who were both great :shrug:

I went through a similar thing when I was looking to get a rescue pug. They ignored me so often I ended up buying a puppy.

Are there other rescue organisations you can try? Ones like might be a little more interested in actually finding good homes for dogs?

i tryed rescue and found it too many hoops for me to jump threw for no dog.

i bought leo the first dally off the trading post.... i think they only had one application as i payed for him and they kept him for another 2 weeks... i think i payed the same money they paid to buy him as a puppy and he was 11mo old.... do i regret it? no.... but it seems often the rescues of some the lessor available breeds (eg non kelpie) then the fosters have some one in mind for the dog.

with sophie she was dumped with her 3 other sibblings on woodbyne from the forum. i did not need another dog... but as she was a dally and leo was such a nice dog i thought i could foster her and find her a home. she did go on a trial but it did not work. she was returned and by that time we had worked out she was not being re homed...

there is a dog out there with your name on it but it may not be the regular rescue crowds. i was deemed unsuitable due to working most days for 6 hours... and not having a colour bond fence... i do have 488 acres.. and plenty of know how.

i do feel your frustration, but keep on looking.... as your new dog will come to light... and maybe you need to look at places other rescue like direct at a pound, local notice board or the local trading post.

tunagirl - so far the Vet here is not having any luck finding a new home for the little guy I'm fostering (or his brother). Our town is very small and a bit oversaturated with pups at the moment. I'm starting to get worried about the future for this awesome pup so if you're interested, please please give them a ring on Monday. I'm happy to answer any and all questions about him!

MAR12_127kja.jpg

I went through a similar thing when I was looking to get a rescue pug. They ignored me so often I ended up buying a puppy.

Are there other rescue organisations you can try? Ones like might be a little more interested in actually finding good homes for dogs?

Hopefully I wasn't one that 'ignored' you. I made it a point to contact people although I did receive several text messages over the years with messages such as 'I would like to adopt a pug, do you have any?' or 'I am looking for a rescue pug can you call me'. Neither would likely get a response if it was by text.

tunagirl - so far the Vet here is not having any luck finding a new home for the little guy I'm fostering (or his brother). Our town is very small and a bit oversaturated with pups at the moment. I'm starting to get worried about the future for this awesome pup so if you're interested, please please give them a ring on Monday. I'm happy to answer any and all questions about him!

MAR12_127kja.jpg

He's gorgeous Kja. :love: