Feeling Frustrated

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some rescues have a cover-all questionnaire to fill out in application to adopt any of their dogs, then when a potential adopter may have not answered one or more of the questions with the "correct" answer, they are automagically ineligible to adopt ANY dog from that organisation. To me that seems a little stiff - not every dog is going to have the exact same requirements to be happy, safe, and much loved by the people applying to adopt it...

T.

I got this impression from one particular rescue organisation too. I got a call back a month later just saying "not suitable" without much more discussion.

But when we went to the shelter to adopt they sat down with us and actually talked to us about the application and why they wanted certain things for the dogs - and we agreed to change some of our plans. Easy peasy. The 'correct' answers may not be obvious to people outside rescue or who haven't owned a dog for a while, but not everyone out there in rescue realises they sometimes just need to talk to potential adopters instead of taking the application as gospel.

Edited by Weasels

LOL! I've been getting some strange texts since PetRescue started sharing profiles on Trading Post. My favourite:

Some person texts around 10pm (!!): "I want to buy the kitty you have on Trading Post"

Me: "Which one are you asking about? We have more than 20 available for adoption."

Person: "Just send photos of all of them and I'll pick one"

Me: ........

Janey

I didn't know that PetRescue were putting dogs in the Trading Post ... that explains the text I got this morning "Interested in the purchase of the puppy you have for sale on tradingpost please do get back to me via my email ****gmail.com" . Rather odd since I only have 2 seniors on PetRescue and one has been adopted. I had a look at the Adelaide Trading Post online but couldn't see my dogs anyway. I texted back 'Which puppy are you referring to?" but haven't heard back.

When we have people coming to look at a particular dog, we also have a few others lined up ready for viewing also - based on the potential adopter's initial phone conversation. If the original dog doesn't suit, at least they can view other options in case one does click with them. It's amazing how many people will come to look at one dog, but eventually decide that a dog of a different breed or size works better for them. Even if they leave without a dog, at least they are happy that we spent the time to try to match them with a dog that would fit into their lifestyle - and we don't try to force dogs on anyone - that only leads to unsuitable matches.

One problem that rears it's ugly head regularly in rescue is that while most people in rescue are great with animals, they sometimes lack people skills...

T.

I've heard this so often! There are some doozies around.

I've rehomed to disabled and elderly people, neither they nor I are "perfect" but they offered the perfect homes for the dogs' needs.

Absolutely! It's about matching the right dog with the right people.

I also prefer people to call or email me if they're interested in a dog. I don't use online forms at all, I'd rather have a chat to a prospective adopter and visit them in person. But then, I'm a small, independent rescue, home most of the time, and I'm lucky enough to be able to do it that way :)

Look as someone who wants to adopt, I totally understand and appreciate that it's important to get a dog that's been dumped once before, into a suitable and stable home with someone who is going to look after it properly and for the long term.

I just don't appreciate being left hanging. I've been looking at this dog for literally months (while its home wanted ad gets renewed every few days), filled out forms. called and finally spoken to the rescue place. And now once again a week later I am left hanging with nothing more than a 'if we find something we think might be suitable we'll call you'.

And in the meantime some other dog somewhere goes begging for a home while this drags out.

I've spoke to my partner and he is a bit put off by it all now same as me. I know we WILL get another rescue but now we need to decide what we want to look at again.

Just to cheer things up a little, here's a video I made the other day of our adopted grey. While we planned to go through GAP again (who are awesome!) this guy just kinda popped up, and we just kinda ended up taking him home :)

http://youtu.be/fusDOd17_aI

Yes some of the rescues here leave a lot to be desired in terms of their communications and PR! My mum had the same issue with SAFE.

Same thing happened to me - about 6 or 7 times. I eventually gave up on rescue.

I "thought" I had a good home to offer but apparently either something about my application rang alarm bells with them or they were just too busy to get back to me. Either way, you have to REALLY want that rescue dog and be very persistant, patient and prepared to fill out a lot of forms and be open to a lot of scrutiny. Also, best not to get too attached to a dog until you are actually taking him/her home. The one dog we did get to meet and were basically told that she was ours, was given to someone else the next day due to a office bungle.

The dog may even have been rehomed and they just haven't updated the site. That happened to us a few times also.

They keep bumping her on petrescue so either she is still available, or they are bumping it for exposure?

I don't mind being persistent after all they must be very busy, but I work in sales full time and even on my busiest days can squeeze in a quick 1 minute call at least to let someone know I will be back to them ASAP.

Kajtek very cute puppy! Lots of awwwwwing from me :D I wouldn't mind a puppy but trying to pick up something that might not be so easy to find a foster home for; ie older dogs/needing large spaces to keep. We are priveleged to have acreage so it's nice to use it to give something back.