Aggressive Dog Or Not?

At a new off leash park I take Zeus and Kirah to, there's a pair of female American Staffy puppies (I believe are about 6 and 10 months old) that also frequent the park.

Twice now, Zeus has been baled up by one of the females almost to the point of a full fight breaking out if I don't step in. What confuses me about this dog is that it shows no sign of aggression towards other dogs although I have witnessed it bullying a Golden Retriever puppy (male).

Its owner puts her back on the lead but she still barks and lunges if Zeus comes too close to her when playing with the other dogs. I've been watching Zeus closely but he only ever plays with the other dogs and shows no aggressive behaviour at all. He flops down on his back and makes little barky puppy noises (he's nearly 3 though) and is just so happy and smiley.

The sister of the Staffy plays fine with Zeus and the others it's just the black one. I did hear the owner say that maybe she's prejudiced against male dogs but I seriously doubt it.

Could it simply be a matter of two dominant dogs and she feels threatened by Zeus thus her need to attack him? I'm just worried that if I don't step in or if she gets in a mood, she'll go at Zeus and as he's such a doofus, he'll get seriously hurt.

I know the easy answer is to not go to the park but I don't see it fair that Zeus misses out because of one grumpy dog. I was just wondering what you all thought about this female's behaviour. Is it considered a DA dog or aggression??

Not sure but I suspect the owners will have issues of their own with two female Amstaffs of a similar age in the house. :(

My male dog is a target for dominant/aggressive dogs. One dog slipped its collar from 100m away to race down and attack poor Champa (who was on lead minding his own business at the time). Some dogs just seem to give off a certain energy/persona/whatever which offens or stimulates certain other dogs.

I know the easy answer is to not go to the park but I don't see it fair that Zeus misses out because of one grumpy dog. I was just wondering what you all thought about this female's behaviour. Is it considered a DA dog or aggression??

Exercise Zeus at other times and places. He doesn't have to miss out.

The behaviour doesn't sound good. Would need to see it to give an opinion on the dog's mood.

I'd leave when I saw them arriving - and tell other owners to do the same... maybe the AmStaff owners may get the hint that their dog needs some proper training before it's allowed to play with others. From experience, talking to certain owners has little effect, but being completely snubbed by everyone else in the park can have them rethink the situation.

T.

Or you could chat,to the owner and make sure that you can both access the park at differing times...

I would not be taking my dogs any where near it, if it is acting like that and it is only 10 months old...

I also believe that some dogs just seem to be targets for other dogs for whatever reason.

If the pup is behaving aggressively towards your dog - its aggressive!

All the rest is just "why".

Act on the behaviour you see and avoid the dog. It's quite clear the owner won't act to manage the dog's behaviour up front so its down to you to keep your dog safe.

I don't care about why dogs want a piece of mine - I just avoid them. :shrug:

Interesting question.... One of my dogs hates german shepards, dont know why. Its just german shepards one day he even went at a fully black one i didnt even realise was a german shepard.

He is always put on lead and taken from the park when a german shepard comes in though, its his fault so he leaves

I've been in a similar situation. As others have said, it's not worth the risk. If your gut feeling is aggressive behaviour, & your dog is uncomfortable like mine was, I would find alternative exercise or leave the park as soon as the problem dog arrived.

I just can't be bothered with the stress of dealing with idiot owners anymore so we very rarely go to our local off leash park.

I would take Zeus to another place to exercise or change the time of day you go so that you avoid the problem dog. Not all dogs have to like each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree.... does the pup react like this with all dogs or just yours?... I wouldnt call it an "agressive dog" if this behaviour was displayed only around your dog....not only that but is there frothinng of he mouth, hackles, snapping? the pup could just be really bad mannered

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

Does it actually have its hackles up or anything? My aussie boy was never taught by other dogs how to play properly, so really tackles little dogs and is a very vocal dog. You should see him play with the schip. Everyone thinks he's attacking it, but he's not, it's just how he plays. Schipperke doesn't know any different, so plays along with the aussie. Rusty just bowls the schip over, barking then mouthing him, and making lots of weird noises that come from barking with his mouth closed. Just some food for thought.

I do however, put him on a leash whenever I see a small dog off leash also, until we get to it, if it's a terrier or a sturdier small breed owners say they're fine with it. Just because he is playing though, it is still unnacceptable to just let him do so, a) it's unfair for the dog ivolved, b) the owner may be uncomfortable with it

I've witnessed her harassing a golden retriever puppy and a boxer in the same way as Zeus but luckily other owners step in before it turns sinister.

I can't remember if there were raised hackles but the growling and snarling indicated aggression to me. In the two instances both she and Zeus have met up, a full-on fight would've broken out if I hadn't stepped in to separate both dogs. Luckily I've been able to get to Zeus and keep pushing the other dog away until her owner comes to get her.

And I know it's not just rough play because Zeus himself is a rough player with mouthing and "tackling" but there's never any snarling.

I haven't been back to the park since but that's due to work. I might head out there earlier this afternoon before this dog and owner arrive.

is there frothinng of he mouth, hackles, snapping

.... ;) two of the most aggressive dogs I have know have shown no really noticeable things like salivating a lot ..they just come in like a missile.

True Pers... I learned that hackles up does not mean aggressive (it can but not always).

We have a very large Labrador at the local dog park and when he comes barreling in for some fun, his hackles are right up.

He is just very excited - I have to admit the first time he came running at Ziggy and I when we went, I was afraid for Ziggy but Ziggy ran right up to him and they just started playing...

The last dog to attack Ollie years ago just came running across a football field with her tail wagging and she launched herself at him and grabbed a hold of his cheek and started to shake him and pull... Horrible situation... But Ol was fine in the end...

Trying to work out dog language is challenging for us mere humans...