Puppy Bars

Moved over to general from off topic, as per a recommendation!!

Hi all,

So I have a new car after my last one being written off. This one doesn't have a cargo barrier installed (but I do have the old cargo barrier which I can get installed). But I'm tossing up the idea of leaving the cargo barrier out but having puppy bars installed. Kenzie is strapped in every time she's in the car anyway, and I'm thinking that possibly puppy bars might give me more versatile space.

So if anyone would like to share their opinions on the pros and cons of having puppy bars I'd love to hear them.

The other thing I was wondering - where do you get them?! My friend Google has told me of a place in Ferntree Gully in Melbourne, is this the only place?

Thanks in advance!

New question also in the mix - can you take them out and put them back in? Or are they semi-permanently one or the other?

PME, I've got a rear cage and removable divider from Puppy Bars (PB's is the name of the company in Ferntree Gully). I have been thrilled with mine. They're fabulous, very well made, and an excellent custom fit.

Yes they are removable. I can either have them in with the centre divider, or that can come out in about 90 seconds. I can also take out the whole back section with double doors. About the same time. If everything it out, the only thing that remains in is a small neat nut at in the roof that is neat and tidy.

Some people complain about the waiting list of 2-3 months, but if you aren't on the list, you'll never get them, so you shouldn't complain. I went on the list last April/May, they then had a month off to go on holiday, but I was made aware of this. When they started the job, it took two and half weeks from initial measure, to complete fit. They look very professional, no squeaking or shifting when driving and are a solid product.

I'll post some pics.

And lastly with some life sized models...

The main reason I got them was so I could move the two dogs in and out of the car easily at training and trials. Also with Ren being an entire male, I wanted no risk of him getting out and causing havoc if I only had a tailgate. As it is, he's the least likely male to cause problems, but I still love my PBs.

post-28499-0-72850500-1331985124_thumb.jpg

Edited by SmoothieGirl

I have a Mazda Tribute alotanewfs.

I think I might be sold on these. Got to see a couple first hand today and someone showed me how they go in and out - I didn't realise it was THAT easy!!!

Another question - what sort of costs are they currently (just looking at a ball park)? One of the people I spoke to today gave me a bit of a ball park figure but it was from a few years ago. Mind you I might try to give them a call in the next week or so.

Wouldn't you still need the cargo barrier though ? I had both on my old car - cargo barrier to partition off the back of the car from the back seat area and then the puppy bars on the back. Loved them when trialling as you could leave the back of the car open and still lock the gates.

Cost depends on what you actually have done - just single door, double doors, divider down middle, false floor, etc. Only reason I haven't had them put in current car is that I am not planning on keeping it for a long period of time and my old ones don't fit. Pretty pricey, but worth it IMO.

I am sure my Puppy Bars will fit your car! I have a Ford Escape, which is apparently exactly the same as the Tribute. Let me know if you want to check mine out, I am in Emerald, VIC.

I paid $605 for mine (price went up just after I got mine), have had mine only a few months.

Edited by alotanewfs

I am sure my Puppy Bars will fit your car! I have a Ford Escape, which is apparently exactly the same as the Tribute. Let me know if you want to check mine out, I am in Emerald, VIC.

I paid $605 for mine (price went up just after I got mine), have had mine only a few months.

Are you unhappy with them? Or changing vehicles?

Everyone that I know with the puppy bars from Colin in FTG are very happy with them.

I bought my puppy bars second hand from people who live in Mildura, they came back to FTG to have them made for her new car because they were so happy with the old ones. She was in Melb getting the new set done when I saw her add and was lucky a friend was going to Mildura for a show and brought them back with her saving me the hassle of getting them here.

I love mine, but my daughter has the wagon now and the bars are sitting in the shed :o .

Are you unhappy with them? Or changing vehicles?

Changing vehicles. Will definitely be getting Puppy Bars on the new car too, I love them!!

Damn why aren't they for an Xtrail? lol. I am just in Wandin too.

Hey! Stop trying to snaffle the puppy bars I want!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Hehehe it was nearly me too! I think if I end up with another medium sized dog I will scrap my false floor and get new gates made or extensions to the old ones.

Wasn't planning on it 'til the end of the year though. ;)