Thyroid Levels Ok But T3 Could Be Higher

Erny

Had Mandela's thyroid level checked last week. This was the summary comment that came back with the test results :

Thyroid levels are normal here althogh the T3 could be higher. TgAA is pending.

I have to speak with our Vet this coming week, but being that little bit impatient and curious thought I'd visit here and ask, what does being a bit low in the T3 department indicate?

Anyone know?

Erny I thyroid tested three of my kids and two out of 3 came back with low T3. I found an article saying that it can be attributed to low carbohydrate in the diet, and in our case that would fit since I was being lazy and giving them meat and veges but no carbs. I have since lifted my game and will be retesting one of the kids tomorrow but only for T4, but will repeat the T3 in 6 months time.

I am heading out the door. I have had a quick look for the article (I have filed it somewhere safe) and of course can't find it, but I will have another look when I get home.

Must admit - that fits Mandela as well, as far as diet is concerned. I primarily feed meat and some vegies. Some of the meat is the VAN Allerblend, so comes with vegies.

He does have access to Canin Royal dry and Black Hawke kibble and eats that but not all the time.

What's a good (the best) carb to feed?

ETA: His "wellness" bloods came back good, save that his white cell blood count came in a bit high. This might be attributed to the gum ulcers I'm presently dealing with.

Is it possible that the higher than normal white cell blood count could somehow tie in with a slightly low T3? Or in this respect, would the two be completely unrelated?

Of course, I'll get all of this from his Vet, but as I said - .... I'm not one for waiting when stuff is on my mind, lol.

ETA: Beet Pulp? Legumes? Pre-biotics? (from stuff I've read).

Also from stuff I've read - dogs don't need any carbohydrates.

Hhhhhmmmm :rolleyes: :laugh:

Edited by Erny

I had my female tested last year as she was having a problem getting pregnant and she was OK at 34.

Don't know if this helps.

Going by the test results, the general range is 30-70. Mandela is 23. If I'm reading things correctly, last year he was 47 (although there might have been some margin adjustments since then, as last year the 'norm' was 35-70). But regardless, going from 47 down to 23 looks like a big drop to me.

Never mind - it'll be made clearer when I speak with his Vet.

Edited by Erny

Erny it could be connected to his white blood cell count being elevated, I know in people that happens. Mine always drops when my white cell count is up. Granted though dogs may be different, be interested to hear what the vet thinks.

I have just checked our T3 results - they were originally 33 and 4 months later had dropped to 19 Dog 2 was 24 (only tested the once) and out of interest, the last dog was 37 - so really all three have relatively low T3.

Still looking for this article.....I will find it!

I spoke with our Vet today. He said not to put much store in the T3 level. He explained the T3 was very subject to change depending on environmental conditions (eg. getting a fright could cause a temporary drop).

I think I must frustrate people ..... I'm such a "but why?" person :rolleyes: :laugh:

Edited by Erny