My Dog Has Eaten Rat Bait

Hi Everyone

Has anyone's dog eaten rat bait and how was the outcome ?

My female miss Sally woke up early on saturday morning at 5am and wanted to go and pee

I let her out and when she came back in, she was chewing, didnt take much notice as i was half asleep but did say what are you eating, anyway we went back to bed , when i got up at 7.45am i noticed in the kitchen some blue stuff , and realised it was rat bait ,

got to the vet 8.15 where she was given a shot of vitiam k , to stop the blood from clotting and this morning she had a blood test, waiting on the results now should be in shortly

I dont know where the rat bait has come from but i'm pretty sure it wasnt there on friday afternoon cos i was in the garden

thanks and fingers xed

Daccydog

You may want to ask for this to be put in Health/Nutrition/Grooming

Sorry, I can't help with your question, I've never had an animal eat rat bait (well, not one that wasn't meant to)

That's awful. I've never been through it so can't offer any advice on that front but I'd be doing a very thorough search of your property to see if there's any more around before she comes home. :(

I have done a search and nothing was found, I havent got a large yard , the vet told me that sometimes birds pick the baits up and drop them or a bush rat has found it and taking it back to its nest, if I hadnt found the small piece in the kitchen , i never would have known she had eaten it , vet say's it takes 5 -7 days to go through her system

Daccydog

Yes my childhood dog ate rat bait. He was very unwell for a couple of days but made a full recovery. I am a bit hazy on some of the details because i was only young.

Sounds like you got your dog to the vet quickly so that is a positive thing. All the best for a good outcome

Sorry no advice but at least you got her straight to the vet. Fingers crossed all turns out well. :crossfingers:

Just the other morning I spotted a dead rat on the corner of our street that had been hit by a car. You could see it's stomach contents (sorry if TMI) and it was full of green rat poison. :eek:

Yes we've had a couple of dogs die from rat bait poisoning. Never had one survive, but that's not to say your dog wont make it.

We use Bromakil, so depending on the type of bait ingested and how much would depend on the outcome.

I hope Sally makes a full recovery, sounds like you got her to the vet asap which might help her chances.

God I know exactly how hard this wait is. My dog ate a rat that had (probably) been killed by bait a few months ago. And obviously on a Sunday afternoon when our vet was not open :rolleyes: Took her to the emergency vet where they induced vomiting and said they think they'd got it all out, and to take her for a blood test at our normal vet.

I decided against vitamin K at that point because they were fairly sure they'd got the whole thing out, and thankfully her blood test came back negative.

You've done all the right things and at this point can just cross your fingers and hope against hope that she'll be fine. It seems like you got to the vet quickly and started vitamin K immediately, so even if she was affected I'm pretty sure that means her chances of being fine are even better. :crossfingers:

From my own experience though, make sure you get any dead rats and mice away from places your dogs could find them as well. Dogs can be poisoned from eating them too, though the chances of it (and severity) vary with teh size of the dog. My dog is a 4kg toy poodle, which is why we were so concerned about her having eaten the whole rat.

Good luck and let us know what happens. Fingers are crossed over here!!!

Our greyhound has eaten it, we don't know how much as the packet was empty when we found it. The vet made him throw up, gave him a vitamin K injection, and he was on vitamin K tablets for a couple of weeks. He recovered well, and is still a clown!

Hope your dog will be ok.

I guess the vet told you to keep her quiet, and to avoid knocks/bumps /bruises? Also no hard bones etc which may cut gums...

AFAIK vit. K is given to HELP blood clot ... but it is still very wise to try & avoid injuries ...

Best of luck with the results :)

Hope your dog will be ok.

I guess the vet told you to keep her quiet, and to avoid knocks/bumps /bruises? Also no hard bones etc which may cut gums...

AFAIK vit. K is given to HELP blood clot ... but it is still very wise to try & avoid injuries ...

Best of luck with the results :)

Thanks everyone ,I've just heard from the vet and she's ok with blood results within normal range, but I've still got to keep an eye on her and if she's shows any sign of illness she is to start a course of vitamin k tablets, and definatly no running around to avoid any injuries ,She's sulking in her create at the moment like there nothing wrong

Daccydog

She should really be on a course of vit K, by the time she shows symptoms it may be too late.

Can you check with your vet?

Vit K should be given for two weeks after confirmed ingestion.

Hi , Just to let you know that Miss Sally has already had an injection of vitamin K early saturday morning ,

Daccydog

Dd - the concern is that some of these baits remain in the system for several weeks so you actually need to give a course of Vit K, not just one dose.

Moose had a Vit K injection once a day for 3 days until they got the Vit K tabs in and then I gave those twice a day for 3 weeks, had his blood tested and then we continued them for another 3 weeks to be on the safe side and tested him again.

For me it wasn't worth the anxiety of not doing it.

different types of rat bait have different severity or speed of action.

Talon is the worst, and rats or birds will carry off the purple blocks - which can be a hazard if that happens to be where your dog can get it. My dog doesn't get to roam unsupervised at my mum's house because of this. And if a dog eats a rat that ate Talon - that can make the dog sick too. I heard three rats to kill it but - I wouldn't count on it.

Racumen is supposed to be the best - ie it's the slowest acting and a lot more of it has to be eaten, but that means it takes a lot longer to kill the rats.

And they all act by stopping the blood from clotting - so any bruising can result in haemorrage and death. It's pretty horrible.

I'd rather use a rat zapper or rat trap.

When my Cavalier ate about a 1/3rd of a small throw pack of rat poison the vet gave him Vit K injection in various areas of his body plus Vit K tablets for 28 days.

At the time I brought him to the vet it would have been 24 hours or so after he had access to the rat poison. I wasn't sure when he ate it because the pack blew in from somewhere during a severe storm and I didn't find it until the next afternoon.

His blood clotting time test was a fraction slow but said that could be normal for him. The vet advised to give the tablets and bring him in 24 hours after the last tablet for another blood test. The second blood test showed an improved clotting time so it proved he did eat some of the bait.

I was advised to keep him very quiet so no walks or any exercise until we knew he was clear just in case it set of a bleed.

Keep an eye on the colour of your dog's gums and also check his abdomen for any sign of brusing.