Weak Hind-quarters / Back In Gsd

Kirty

My 7mo GSD foster pup seems to have weak hind-quarters and quite a 'roached' back. I know that some show line GSD's can be quite slopey though and to be honest I'm not sure if its normal or if there is something wrong. I am hesitant to walk her too much but is there something else I can do to strengthen her back end? Would swimming be OK?

I would take her to the chiro for a check, her back or pelvis or even neck might be out which can contribute to the lameness and angulation, although it is quite possible that she is naturally that way (angulated). I don't own the showlines so can't comment, do you know her lines? Someone knowledgeable in her lines or type might be able to help you there.

As you know though no dog should be 'weak' at 7mnths, i would be getting her checked out for issues such as possible HD ect.

Edit for added info lol

Edited by german_shep_fan

Have you got a photo/video

what makes you think she is weak in the back legs?

they can be quite gangly and all over the place at that age = fuglies

D still walks with quite a womanly wobble - the kids ask why he walks so funny :laugh:

Swimming would probably be good if there is somewhere 'warm' she can go

I have a 14 month old with the same problem.She is a showline with the roached back, so I would say it is normal.

After two weeks of swimming daily and walking twice a day she has improved no end.She is much stronger and you can see muscle developing.

As yours is half the age I would say yes to swimming and short walks daily.

My 7mo GSD foster pup seems to have weak hind-quarters and quite a 'roached' back. I know that some show line GSD's can be quite slopey though and to be honest I'm not sure if its normal or if there is something wrong. I am hesitant to walk her too much but is there something else I can do to strengthen her back end? Would swimming be OK?

Just a random addition to this- I THINK show GSD's are encouraged to pull when walked to build on this shape. I am currently trying to train my 7yr old kelpie to pull to build up her hind end muscles- I would hold of lead training till you know whats going on as you don't know if it will be beneficial for the dog to pull rather than walk on a loose lead.

Kirty,

if you get the all clear from the vet for exercise see if you can find a hydrotherapy place with a treadmill that submerges so she can walk in the water rather than swim - the swimming is good for core muscles apparently but they tend to use their strongest limbs to do all the work and so don't get as much benefit for "weaker areas". My girl has been having hydro as part of her rehab post op and we have seen much more improvement in her muscle mass with the walking in the water than with the swimming alone. I really hope she is ok.