Give A Dog A Bone......

Puppybella

Does anyone else's dog get the runs from bones?

I've noticed that my dog gets it after having a bone. If she really crunches down the bone she can get a bit constipated at first with powdery poop, but mostly it's super runny. Which sucks in a longhair!!

Anyone else noticed this?

Maybe mine just has a sensitive tummy. And no, the bones are fresh from the fridge or freezer and she's not allowed to hoard them so they go off :)

Does anyone else's dog get the runs from bones?

I've noticed that my dog gets it after having a bone. If she really crunches down the bone she can get a bit constipated at first with powdery poop, but mostly it's super runny. Which sucks in a longhair!!

Anyone else noticed this?

Maybe mine just has a sensitive tummy. And no, the bones are fresh from the fridge or freezer and she's not allowed to hoard them so they go off :)

My boy is the same with beef amd lamb meat AND bones. He gets the runs and REALLY bad gas :vomit: My girl doesn't get the runs but does get the gas too :scared: They are fine with chicken and turkey tho so that's all they get now. I have to freeze them to slow my girl down and make her chew instead of trying to swallow them whole so that's going to be fun over the witer months :crazy:

Anything with beef gives Jager the runs. Went to a friends place one night and she gave him a bone to chew. Next day, the concrete was a lake of poo.

Poor little guy. I started him off with a really little amount when he was younger and it upset his stomach every time. Even now if i dont check what treats i give him, i can tell that something must have had beef in it when i do poo partol the next day.

I would love to him a nice bone to chew on, but oh well. He still gets pork and lamb occassionally as they dont seem to be as bad but even then it can only be once a week, any more and i can tell.

He is fine on chicken though.

Hrm. She's getting beef bones at the moment, maybe I'll try her again on lamb or pork bones and see how she goes. It would be lovely not to have to dread the next day's poop/rear end patrol. She absolutely loves bones, and I don't mind cleaning her up on the odd occasion, but I'm getting fed up when it happens every single time!

Yes. I have found that some bones are better than others for both my dogs. My older one vomits after most bones, so he gets mainly chicken wings and frames frozen which seem to be ok. My younger girl gets the runs, for her I have found lamb ribs with excess fat chopped off, or chicken, are the best.

Try some different ones and see what happens :)

Vomits and runs with my Weim - she was never able to tolerate bones. Later we discovered she has an issue with fatty food and cannot tolerate too much.

There are other alternatives to bones for teeth cleaning if your dog can't handle them, not quite as good in my opinion, but better than cleaning up vom, poo and icky bum fur!

Heh just got over a dose of the squirts and a sea of poo with Scout recently. Not sure if it was the roo treats or someone giving him tidbits of human food even though being told please don't give the dog any /sigh.

Thankfully all back to normal now :)

I've always looked at the individual dog and based my food/treat choices on the "what could he/she catch, kill, and eat by him/herself" - anything too big on that scale is simply not fed.

I tend to go for chicken, turkey, roo, or lamb based foods/treats, and avoid beef like the plague... and I rarely see nasty poops unless it's worming time... *grin*

T.

What bones are you feeding/meaning Puppybella? Bones high in marrow can cause this problem as marrow has a very high fat content. Marrow is found within the bone cavity, and it is basically fat.

Guest donatella

OT but mine has to wear a bib when eating bones or I spend ages trying to brush meat chunks from her chest, she has no table manners.

I prefer chicken necks actually, I feel a little more at ease.

What bones are you feeding/meaning Puppybella? Bones high in marrow can cause this problem as marrow has a very high fat content. Marrow is found within the bone cavity, and it is basically fat.

True.

Marrow or excess 'hard' (visible and unmarbled) fat is usually the culprit. If you ask the butcher to saw the marrow bones down the centre to expose the insides then you can scoop out most of the marrow before feeding it to them. If they get the runs with offcuts then trim off most of the visible fat before feeding them to the dogs.

If a dog gets the runs when feed the mince of a particular animal as well as the bones then he is probably reacting to those proteins so choose another meat.

If however, he tolerates, for example, beef mince just fine but gets the runs when given beef bones - then marrow is very likely the culprit.