Dogs Being Let Out Of Our Yard

lynst

Hi,

I just want to warn people in the Devonport area that there is someone out there letting small dogs out of their yards. We have had it happen to us approximately 4 times some far this year, with two occurances within the last three days. We are on a suburban block with a very main road at the front and a train line at the rear so we are very aware of what could happen if gates get left open. Therefore we have them clipped shut. Our dogs have a secure dog run with a catch on the gate up the back. The other day someone took two dogs from the secured yard and reclosed the gate. Took them out past the next yard and resecured that gate. Someone then saw them and called out, so they left the dogs in the front yard with the gate open. I was home when all this went on and didn't hear a thing until my boys barked at the front door.

Today these people had a go at our back fence and kicked a paling off it and was seen by workmen, who called out, so they left the dogs behind again.

I have reported all this to the police and to the Animal Control at the council. I not leaving my furkids alone in the yard anymore, they can be in the house with me or I will be outside with them. So everyone please be careful and notify the police and council if anything similar happens to you. I hope it never does. This is making me feel sick so please watch your furkids Devonport.

In your situation I'd have the dogs inside now too. How alarming!

Gates are always padlocked here and always have been. It's inconvenient but I wouldn't have an unlocked gate in suburbia. It's a two gate system too, any one coming in has to get through both.

I have friends in D'port, I'll let them know. But it may be that your dogs are being particularly targeted.

Edited by Diva

You poor thing, that is awful and just a downright scum bag thing to do. I hope your fur kids stay safe.

I will pass this on to my sister who lives in Devonport as she has a dog (not a small, but ill tell her anyways)

Hope they get caught

It's inconvenient but I wouldn't have an unlocked gate in suburbia. It's a two gate system too, any one coming in has to get through both.

Same here, even if I wasn't worried about people with malicious intent, human error makes it worthwhile.

any chance of installing (or borrowing) a surveillance camera set up ? There are very small , inconspicuous ones ..and then you'd know what/who ;)

Very good idea Persephone :thumbsup: if they have tried a couple of times now you can be sure they will try again. I would find it terribly disturbing - to know someone was targetting my dogs - may I ask what breed you have?

Edited by Tapua

any chance of installing (or borrowing) a surveillance camera set up ? There are very small , inconspicuous ones ..and then you'd know what/who ;)

Yep, I'd be hooking up surveillance, padlocking/double padlocking every gate and keeping the dogs inside.

Hi,

What frightens me the most about what is happening is the fact that the dog fighting ring is still going. Dogs are being taken as bait dogs to excite the fighting dogs by giving them an easy kill to get their adrenalin going. We probably are being targeted as everyone else around here have big dogs. We need to be vigilant and we are going to get security cameras installed as we need to have the proof as who is doing it. I have started carrying my camers with me so that when I hear a gate rattle i sneak around the corner and snap who's coming through it. Thank you everyone for your best wishes.

How scary!!!

I agree, padlock your gate!

My dog's been let out before (accidently) as I had some workmen who didn't know I had a dog, and left the side gate open- luckily I went to go a re-lock it and found my very excited Sheppy trying to get hugs and kisses from the workers who were trying to leave!

What despictable people! :eek:

No padlock and secure gate is going to be of any help if they are so desperate and willing to kick off palings to get at your dogs. :mad

Definitely keep your dogs with you. Sad for them though not to be able to enjoy their own yard. :(

A camera would be great but sounds like you'd need a few, front and back.

My girls have a guardian. (photo)

post-27253-0-63804900-1332476795_thumb.jpg

Sounds like this is personal & specific.

Are your dogs barking & annoying anyone that you can think of ? Night/shift worker trying to sleep in the day for example ? Do they bark a lot when you are out ? Can you find out ?

I would not leave my dogs out when I am not home & in your shoes would never, ever do it again. Hope you catch the bastards.

I would hide my car around the corner & sneak back home round the back if possible & watch.

Any chance you can "borrow" a nice big surly dog for a couple of days to keep in your yard? :laugh:

Sereiously, I do hope they lose interest now your dogs are in with you. If you can let other people know in your area, e.g. letter to the local paper, phoning vets etc, that would be great....not everyone belongs to DOL and has gotten the heads up.

I was thinking the same thing Christina sounds a bit odd must be a reason they are so determine and to just be trying to let them out very odd..

I second the camera even if you can pretend your not home and use a hand held one..

If they have a problem with you and your dogs why can't the talk to you or leave a note, weird.. but then some people are weird lol..

Sounds like this is personal & specific.

Are your dogs barking & annoying anyone that you can think of ? Night/shift worker trying to sleep in the day for example ? Do they bark a lot when you are out ? Can you find out ?

I would not leave my dogs out when I am not home & in your shoes would never, ever do it again. Hope you catch the bastards.

I would hide my car around the corner & sneak back home round the back if possible & watch.

Swann put out a range of cameras & recorders. They are quite well priced for what they are. You can go to the Swann website & depending what is available at the time they have carton damaged & refurbished units available at reduced prices. They are also available at Dick Smith & I even saw an add in an officeworks catalogue.

Good luck.

Greg

Hi,

Thank for the heads up on Swann, Greg I will look them up and give them a go. I have already sent a letter to the paper and Iknow my dogs aren't angels so maybe they are upsetting a neighbour but all they have to do is come and see my as I am a reasonable person. I try to be.