'carrot & Stick' Approach From Council

Weasels

I just received 2 bags of treats from the council ranger for having my dogs under control while he drove up the beach :eek: :)

I spoke to someone else as I was leaving and apparently it's a thing they've been doing lately. I know it's just a small thing - and the far greater reward is not having my dogs under the wheels of a 4wd - but it's nice of the council to adopt a "thanks for training your dog" mentality instead of just a "well we won't fine you this time" mentality.

Just thought I'd share a positive experience with a council for a change :)

Edited by Weasels

That's great :)

My council has always claimed that they do this but I've never seen/heard of it happening and when I asked a ranger about it a few years ago he had no idea what I was talking about :laugh:

Here's hoping other councils take the hint.

:thumbsup: That would be great.

I have a sneaking suspicion it might be related to the fact the poo bags disappeared for about a month, apparently due to supply problems, so there might have been a bit of cash left over in the dog-related council funds :shrug:

Will be interesting to see if they keep it up :)

Right, I'm taking my dog to Rockingham beach :D

:thumbsup:

That's really good Weasels :thumbsup: Mine would never win bags of treats for good behaviour :laugh:

:laugh: Louis might win a handsome award in his little rugby shirt though :D

I almost said to the guy I felt it was cheating having kelpies, being the biddable things they are :p

I live in North Sydney Council area and the Rangers are great.

If your dog gets out and they find it, as long as they can get hold of you within 90 mins they will return it to your house with no fine.

The head ranger has three big dogs himself and uses common sense...... plus every park is off the leash here.

Hmmmm...maybe here in Victoria we could start giving treats to the rangers if they are good and well behaved! ;)

:laugh: as long as you mark the instant they are doing the right thing so they know why they are being rewarded :p Wouldn't want to accidently reinforce bad habits!

Hmmmm...maybe here in Victoria we could start giving treats to the rangers if they are good and well behaved! ;)

Actually, one of the Councils was nominated for an MDBA Award and I thought that was fantastic :). The idea struck me as very forward thinking and something that would be well-worthwhile being made known amongst and throughout the Councils in Victoria .... and everywhere else, for that matter. Wonder if there can be a special Council only category ..... :idea: .

Hhhmmmm..... I'll have a word with Julie when the dust from this last awards has settled.

Our council does very similar things.

They have really been cracking down on dogs that are off lead where they shouldn't be, written warnings etc and have saturated local media for a month. As of Monday they are issuing $100 on the spot fines. That coupled with handing out vouchers for dog washes, leashes etc will hopefully have a positive impact on what has been a large problem down here in the past

Actually, one of the Councils was nominated for an MDBA Award and I thought that was fantastic :). The idea struck me as very forward thinking and something that would be well-worthwhile being made known amongst and throughout the Councils in Victoria .... and everywhere else, for that matter. Wonder if there can be a special Council only category ..... :idea: .

Hhhmmmm..... I'll have a word with Julie when the dust from this last awards has settled.

there was but it was a struggle to find enough nominees. This year a council was nominated Wodonga and two people who are Rangers received an award in different categories.

Will speak to the board about introducing it again as a category - we have about 2 weeks to play with before the categories are set .

Will speak to the board about introducing it again as a category - we have about 2 weeks to play with before the categories are set .

And if the board says yes, then perhaps emailing something to all the Councils alerting them to the MDBA Choice Award category would be helpful ?? Maybe something for publication on their own individual websites? Wonder if that goes outside their policies??