Expensive Microchipping In Sa

flame ryder

I've just read 2 other posts about micro-chipping days. Both were Approx $25. Where I live (rural SA) the council are doing a micro-chipping day pretty soon at the reduced cost of $45. The vets I go to charge $60. It seems crazy that this same procedure has so many different pricings. What is everyone else paying?

Considering you can buy the actual chips for around $5 each, then factor in doing the paperwork, and having someone qualified to implant the chip... $25 is reasonable...

If you are also getting a general health check at the same time - then a consult fee is usually charged as well.

T.

Considering you can buy the actual chips for around $5 each, then factor in doing the paperwork, and having someone qualified to implant the chip... $25 is reasonable...

If you are also getting a general health check at the same time - then a consult fee is usually charged as well.

T.

Yes $25 is reasonable....but $45 from the council I feel is not. When I got my other dog done it was by the vet during the de-sexing operation, but it was listed on the bill as microchipping - $60.

I don't mind paying out for my dogs but in all fairness it should be roughly the same price everywhere. Hearing that others can have it done up to $35 cheaper sux.

Edited by teela

teela, I think it is also a supply and demand issue. If they are going to all of that effort to setup a discount day for say 20 dogs whereas in another council area they might get 50 or 60 dogs in that time - staff time divided by 50 instead of by 20. Given oyur comment of rural SA, I would guess they dont expect a huge number hence the higher cost.

I think I paid about 30 for Piper's chip about 10 years ago at an AWL microchipping day, Jazz is from NSW so came microchipped. My litter of pups last year I paid $60 per pup for vaccination and microchipping but with 9 pups all done in about 30 mins I wasn't paying consult time per pup. Maybe ring your vet and ask how much extra to microchip while you are there for something else? I can understand $60 if that is all you go in for due to the consult time but if you are already there for something else then the microchipping might not be that much extra.

My old vet charged $25 dollars (he was brilliant but sadly died), the local vets charge $65.

As it is not manditory in SA our prices will be higher than the eastern states where it is mandatory.

Leanne

T.

Yes $25 is reasonable....but $45 from the council I feel is not. When I got my other dog done it was by the vet during the de-sexing operation, but it was listed on the bill as microchipping - $60.

I don't mind paying out for my dogs but in all fairness it should be roughly the same price everywhere. Hearing that others can have it done up to $35 cheaper sux.

Most services you get have a wide range- have a look at products in America Vs Australia. Vets will have different costs because of the quantity they order, the wage they pay their nurses, their own wage, how much they pay for their premises..... You may get other services from your vet cheaper so unless you look at pricing for all the services before get too upset.

There are different microchip brands but not sure on the variation in their prices...

Also... I tend to see microchipping prices at around $60 at vets, generally because there is a consult fee inbuilt to that as most times the owner does ask other things and it tends to turn into a consult, plus you are really paying for the vets time. Chipping days tend to be cheaper because it is bulk and there is no question time!

As I already pointed out in my previous post...it was done while my dog was being de-sexed, the dog was already on the operating table and it was listed on my bill separately as microchipping = $60. But when I rang to ask the vet how much (for another dog) the same price ($60) was quoted.

Although I am in rural town it is quite big (second biggest in SA after Adelaide) I'm sure if the council did it for $30 there'd be a lot more people turn up.

I paid $50 for both dogs I had microchipped. Quite a while ago. Both in Adelaide. (Different vets)

My old vet charged $25 dollars (he was brilliant but sadly died), the local vets charge $65.

As it is not manditory in SA our prices will be higher than the eastern states where it is mandatory.

Leanne

I thought it was now mandatory in SA to be microchipped? Or is it just registered breeders that have to microchip before registration (and therefore sale)?

Not mandatory in SA for cats or dogs but yes registered breeders cannot register the litter unless they are microchipped. That is a Dogs SA rule not the councils.

I get breeders rates & I desex, vaccinate & microchip so its a lot cheaper. There are some qualified microchip implanters in SA that don't charge so much.

Guess it varies from vet to vet. Basically they can charge what ever they want for anything, its free trade & no use having everything controlled. Shop around.

Where can you buy $5 chips? We buy them (with reg included) at cost for about $25.

From most vet supply companies... we buy them in packets of 10. They actually work out to be less than $5 if we buy 20 or more at a time.

If you are an authorised implanter, you can buy the chips direct from a bulk supplier. You can order the books of paperwork forms or download the individual forms from the DLG. Don't know which department you get the forms from in Victoria - possibly the DPI...

T.