Weak Pasterns & Splayed Paws

mrzeusman

please tell me your vet didn't recommend you feed chum...

No, they recommended I stick with the Holistic Select giant/large breed puppy food.

So who mentioned Chum? You might as well feed the dog dirt mixed with water!

please tell me your vet didn't recommend you feed chum...

No, they recommended I stick with the Holistic Select giant/large breed puppy food.

So who mentioned Chum? You might as well feed the dog dirt mixed with water!

Someone else I know said you can feed them Chum because of its low nutritional content to reduce the level of protein to a minimum while she has this problem. I told the vet and they said you can feed her that if I like but recommended I stick with what I am feeding her now which is the Holistic Select giant/large breed puppy food. This is what I will be doing. No Chum.

Took my puppy to the vet today and got x-rays taken. All is ok with her bones and growth plates. The problem is that her muscles/ligaments etc are growing faster than her bones and they have nothing to attach to.We need to slow down this growth to allow the bones to catch up.

She needs to be on just dry food only and no other supplements including vit c or ester c - just dry food. It can be cheap food like Chum or a large/giant breed puppy food but as long as she just has that and nothing else and that she needs to do this for a few months.

I am to keep her rested as much as possible with minimal exercise and definitely no jumping around which is not going to be an easy task as she is a little cyclone. Guess she will have to be crated for periods of time during the day as well as we normally do at night time. She is to be walked on grass for her walk in the morning and not on the footpaths.

Thanks to everyone who has given me advice and help with this.

That's great, hopefully just with the dry food alone she will improve! Can you post pictures of what they look like at the moment, as they improve could you keep us updated with more pictures?

Hannah

Edited by HANNAH

Took my puppy to the vet today and got x-rays taken. All is ok with her bones and growth plates. The problem is that her muscles/ligaments etc are growing faster than her bones and they have nothing to attach to.We need to slow down this growth to allow the bones to catch up.

She needs to be on just dry food only and no other supplements including vit c or ester c - just dry food. It can be cheap food like Chum or a large/giant breed puppy food but as long as she just has that and nothing else and that she needs to do this for a few months.

I am to keep her rested as much as possible with minimal exercise and definitely no jumping around which is not going to be an easy task as she is a little cyclone. Guess she will have to be crated for periods of time during the day as well as we normally do at night time. She is to be walked on grass for her walk in the morning and not on the footpaths.

That's great, hopefully just with the dry food alone she will improve! Can you post pictures of what they look like at the moment, as they improve could you keep us updated with more pictures?

Hannah

Hannah

post-17115-0-38314600-1333003396_thumb.jpg

As long as you are feeding a high quality kibble such as Artemis, Holistic Select, Black Hawk etc, you don't 'need' to feed the chicken etc as they have an excellent balance of all the neutrients your puppy needs. Ester C won't harm your pup, neither will goats milk.

Edited by TrinaJ

I had an Afghan pup with weak pasterns some years ago before there was all the special dry foods and more knowledge on this condition. I kept him in a small yard at home but drove to the beach every second day and walked him in chest deep water, slowly increasing the distance and after a couple of months he came good. This was also a way to stop him going crazy when he did get excercised. Maybe a thought?

I know your vet said you don't need a supplement but I would still recommend you try the Value Plus Organic Iron and Mineral tablets with Zinc. There has been many cases showing how beneficial zinc can be with this problem. And it definitely helped with my Golden.

Phew!! who would actually opt to feed any living creature (especially a growing one) something with low nutritional content?!

The low nutritional content is the point, when it becomes important to slow growth. It's a temporary thing. You don't slow growth down with high nutritional content.

Phew!! who would actually opt to feed any living creature (especially a growing one) something with low nutritional content?!

The low nutritional content is the point, when it becomes important to slow growth. It's a temporary thing. You don't slow growth down with high nutritional content.

Also, for the same reason, wouldnt you put this pup on adult food for the decreased levels of protein, fat etc, etc ???

The Eagle Pack Holistic Large and Giant Breed Puppy is low protein, along with the EP Large and Giant Breed Puppy in the original formula, it's actually one of the very few puppy biscuits that has the right balance for large breeds. The Adult formula (lamb and rice) is good too in the Original, so either would be ok.

I agree Crazy Daisy, that the Value Plus Organic Iron and Mineral tablets with Zinc would be beneficial to give the puppy, i was told this by someone that has their puppy on the Vitamin because of problems with the legs very similar to this.

Thanks for putting the pictures up, they do look quite bad, but you are on the right track now so lets hope they improve!

• 2 weeks later...

So 10 days or so later how are they looking now?

Maybe some improvement but not sure if it is my wishful thinking seeing that. She will be 5mths old this weekend and going to take new photos then. I am still just feeding her the Holistic Select giant and large breeds puppy food and one thing I have noticed is she is pooing 3-4 times a day and huge ones too!

So 10 days or so later how are they looking now?

Maybe some improvement but not sure if it is my wishful thinking seeing that. She will be 5mths old this weekend and going to take new photos then. I am still just feeding her the Holistic Select giant and large breeds puppy food and one thing I have noticed is she is pooing 3-4 times a day and huge ones too!

May be a slow process, as the weeks go on hopefully you will see alot more improvement.

I have been looking at the importance of Zinc and Selenium and their benefits, do some research on those. Also crushed Linseed and White Millett could be very beneficial aswell. It wont upset the balance of the food either.