Desexing Male Bc @ 14 Months

sheena

Im getting mine done next month, he'll be 17 months - also a BC. He has a retained testicle so I have opened another threadfor advice. Im getting him done as I have been advised he will be less 'flighty' and more attentive at agility? he is a really good agility dog, but likes to smell the lovely smells and pee on everything. :laugh: ETA no aggression or food issues here, he'll let his JRT companion take food if she wants it and I say its ok. hes a really easy going chilled out loyal dog. :thumbsup:

Edited by joelle

Also - what do you feed him?

They both get Black Hawk, Muscle meat, half turkey neck a day broken into two meals. Every second day they get tinned fish instead of the meat & a raw egg yolk every second day. The day they don't get the egg yolk they get coconut oil. He is a beautiful placid dog, it's just this little "bully" thing he has developed over the last couple of days. Maybe he feels a bit threatened as there are lots of other dogs camping here as well, & feels he has to assert himself on Bindi, cause he knows he can.

Could this be the terrible teenager coming out of his shell?

I am considering getting my quite tall BC dog desexed next month @ 14 months, which is when he is due for his vaccinations. I was hoping to leave it for another couple of months,because he is a large dog, but he is wanting to pee on everything when out walking & has become a bit Food Agressive against my other girl. We are camping with the two at the moment & they both have had a chew for the last two days & he is quite posessive of his. Even at a distance of about 50 meters when returning from a walk, back towards camp, he started to snarl & had a go at her, took me by surprise :( He is normally a real angel, so I'm wondering if it is his hormones. I will get an opinion from my vet re: de-sexing, being a large BC, but would like to hear what others think . I might not wait till 14 months if he keeps this up :mad

Yes, Erny, I think he is just testing the waters too, that's why I thought it might have been hormonal. On this mornings walk, as soon as Bindi knew we were on our way back to camp, her body language told me, she feared that Cricket might bash her up again when she gets to within the 50 meter mark. His body language changed too, & stared at her & started stalking her. I then walked her in front at a distance with her looking back over her shoulder & OH kept him well behind & said he had "that look" on his face all the way back to camp. Poor Bindi :cry: It is a very interesting thing....body language. This afternoon I am going to bring them back to camp a different way & see what happens. I feel he is probably just being a brat teenager, but don't know how to let him know it is wrong without actually scolding him. If I scold him, poor Bindi thinks she is in trouble too :( Maybe its time for a little LAT with him.

Either way your other dog is copping it, tighten up on him now.

Anyone have any opinions on desexing a bitch who may be coming into season? I know its more costly etc to do a bitch during her season, but does the same apply if she looks like she's about to begin, but not bleeding? She's only slightly puffy, but a bit sooky too. It's exactly 6months since her 1st season.

Check with your Vet regarding what the hormone levels are doing pre-season and what the hormones will do post-desexing. I researched this when I was working on my Avoidance Motivated Aggression thesis and I know there is a period where the progesterone hormone is dominant. Sudden drops of progesterone, which occurs when a bitch is desexed, can result in the female dog experiencing emotional disturbances such as depression, irritability, nervousness and aggression which in turn can become learnt behaviours. So the theory is that it is best to avoid the period when progesterone production is peaking when thinking of desexing.

I'm not a Vet. Just something I have read.

Thank you. I will see if she does come into heat this weekend. If not, might visit the vet, get his opinion and go from there. I don't want to make this any harder on her than it might already be.

I never mentioned the marking behaviour because to me that is normal. Entire dogs and bitches all do it and you just have to teach them when they can and cannot mark. When they are marking you need to let them go several times, not just once before you ask for attention. My dogs get to sniff and mark on walks as much as they want but if we are training or showing they pay attention to me. A simple watch command is one way to distract them from sniffing and a harsh "aahhh" sound combined with pulling them off balance, if they look interested in something they are not allowed to mark, usually works. Eventually just the sound is enough to stop them.

I never mentioned the marking behaviour because to me that is normal. Entire dogs and bitches all do it and you just have to teach them when they can and cannot mark. When they are marking you need to let them go several times, not just once before you ask for attention. My dogs get to sniff and mark on walks as much as they want but if we are training or showing they pay attention to me. A simple watch command is one way to distract them from sniffing and a harsh "aahhh" sound combined with pulling them off balance, if they look interested in something they are not allowed to mark, usually works. Eventually just the sound is enough to stop them.

I couldn't agree more with this!!

I have female that marks new territory religiously. But she only goes on grass and has never gone in a flyball or obedience ring (OK she use to run off to pee and poop part way through agility but that was a training issue). One of my entire male boys needs to visit 10 trees when I take him to shows- but knows he can only toilet if he is on grass so we can put anything on the paved section of the back yard and not worry about it being marked on. I just treated it like house training- I went out and purposely toileted him on grass and if I saw him wondering off the grass I would gently say no and pop him back on the grass and praise- then praise more when he went.

That being said I always make sure he has had been toileted well before entering particularly challenging areas such as vets or where I know other boys have marked. He knows the cue nose up which means he isn't allowed to sniff and he won't mark if he can't sniff.

I don't really expect that getting him de-sexed is going to curtail the "marking" much. I will just have to be very vigilant with him around equipment etc & keep up the training. My de-sexed bitch marks quite a bit, especially when away from home. I always panic when she takes too long to come out of a tunnel, as she has been known to stop & wee on a couple of occasions :eek: Just now, she finished her turkey neck for breakfast, then squatted & peed into her bowl. :mad Then proceeded to walk right past Cricket while he was munching on his & I am pleased to say, he took no notice of her. :thumbsup:

Both my BC's, 3.5 & 16 months, male & female, both desexed at 6.5 months old. They both still mark but thankfully never inside the house or yard,

only when we are out walking.

When we are camping both of them won't go to the toilet/mark anywhere near our van. I have to walk them a good 100 meters away.I have been very vigilant with

them though & it was time consuming but so far so good. I just didn't want them thinking they could go in the annex or something as we have a floor

in it that looks grass slightly. And at home I certainly didn't want to smell urine to smack me in the face when I was out on the deck.

Sorry to hear about your boy with the food aggression issue ATM. My girl has always had tendencies for this very thing. She was shocking when I first got her

but OH took over feeding her for a while (as I was quite intimidated/upset by her as she really meant business & she knew it) OH has a very quiet but 'I mean business'

way about him & she is really good now.Stella has never challanged Sonny over food as he is the boss. I always feed them about 10 feet apart with their backs to each & have had no prob's.

Hope I was of some help as aggression is really scarey when you least expect it, isn't it? Have fun camping :)

Edited by BC Crazy

We are camping with the two at the moment & they both have had a chew for the last two days & he is quite posessive of his.

so he has been allowed to be posessive for the past 2 days? So very bad behavior with no consequence or loss of reinforcer.

I would be doing more then scolding that boy. The minute he started that staring behavior at a bitch he would have been in huge trouble. You're giving too much allowance with him and that is why he's doing his behaviors at such massive distances. As for peeing, pulling off balance when he's on 3 legs? You've missed the mark well and truely in stopping him. He must learn he's not allowed to even go for a sniff let along get that far to cock his leg.

Desexing wont fix this dog, pull him into line ASAP and don't be afraid to correct him for his BS. He's allowed to get away with murder and he's taking full advantage of it, this is personality not hormones.

Edited by Nekhbet

We are camping with the two at the moment & they both have had a chew for the last two days & he is quite posessive of his.

so he has been allowed to be posessive for the past 2 days? So very bad behavior with no consequence or loss of reinforcer.

I would be doing more then scolding that boy. The minute he started that staring behavior at a bitch he would have been in huge trouble. You're giving too much allowance with him and that is why he's doing his behaviors at such massive distances. As for peeing, pulling off balance when he's on 3 legs? You've missed the mark well and truely in stopping him. He must learn he's not allowed to even go for a sniff let along get that far to cock his leg.

Desexing wont fix this dog, pull him into line ASAP and don't be afraid to correct him for his BS. He's allowed to get away with murder and he's taking full advantage of it, this is personality not hormones.

So what would you do to correct it, ie the growling & staring when he thinks there may be food around, apart from removing his food? I am not into any negative punishment other than a pop on the leash & a scolding, which I don't like to do when the girl is present as she thinks she is in trouble too. Most of the time, he couldn't care less. Yesterday, she finished her bone, peed in her bowl, then boldly walked over to him, still chewing his, to check in his bowl. He didn't even bat an eyelid. It's just when he does it out of the blue that it takes me by surprise, that's why I thought it may have something to do with his hormones (he is 12 months old).....what training would you do to nip it in the bud.??? next time it happens.

A bit of an update.....Normally at home I feed the two of them about 6 ft apart but with a barrier in between. He always waits till she starts to eat first before he starts to eat, even if he has been released first. Because we are not at home (camping) the last few nights I have fed them about 6 ft apart & they stay as per before but with no barrier. I release her first to eat & he doesn't have any problem with that :thumbsup: , So maybe it was something to do with being in a new environment with lots of strange dogs around. As far as the training for "Thou shalt not sniff & pee till I let you" he is training me well. I have been allowing him to sniff & pee only when it suits me....took just two walks for him to figure out, that if it is a "truly great sniff, & not to be missed at all cost"...he drops to the ground to sniff & there is no way I can budge him :rofl: But we are working on it, & thanks to you guys he can stay "a boy" for a while longer yet. We go home tomorrow.

Still waiting to hear how Nekhbet would train him out of his behaviour :confused: It's one thing to say "he should be in serious trouble for staring at a bitch", but what would you do Nekhbet that wouldn't involve physical punishment or scolding :confused:

A bit of an update.....Normally at home I feed the two of them about 6 ft apart but with a barrier in between. He always waits till she starts to eat first before he starts to eat, even if he has been released first.

Why the barrier?

Out of interest, in the above scenario, what would happen if you fed Bindi inside first and then put Crickets food down & released him, while she was also outside? Would he eat it, given that she hadn't started first?

So long as you are comfortable doing it, I would try this. Any resource guarding and I would simply remove his food & try again the next day. Clearly I'm not a behaviourist, but this worked for me many years ago. My dog soon leant that any carry on & he went hungry.

As a general rule, rather than dealing with things as they occur, I much prefer to take control and set them up, so that I dont have to deal with them unexpectedly.

Edited by Vickie

A bit of an update.....Normally at home I feed the two of them about 6 ft apart but with a barrier in between. He always waits till she starts to eat first before he starts to eat, even if he has been released first.

Why the barrier?

Out of interest, in the above scenario, what would happen if you fed Bindi inside first and then put Crickets food down & released him, while she was also outside? Would he eat it, given that she hadn't started first?

So long as you are comfortable doing it, I would try this. Any resource guarding and I would simply remove his food & try again the next day. Clearly I'm not a behaviourist, but this worked for me many years ago. My dog soon leant that any carry on & he went hungry.

As a general rule, rather than dealing with things as they occur, I much prefer to take control and set them up, so that I dont have to deal with them unexpectedly.

Thanks Vickie. I only just read your post AFTER I fed them. I have always had a bit of a barrier between them ever since I got him home as a pup...they can see each other quite clearly. Just a preventative thing really, plus it made it easier to concenetrate on his "table manners" without having to worry about what she might be doing. I have always made him stay rock still till released to his food. I just gave them both their bones, made them stay & put their bowls down about 5 ft apart. As soon as he looked at her & raised his lip, I removed his food. Then when he focused back on me I put the dish back down. So from now on, not only does "stay & don't move a paw" until released to your food, it will also include, no lip raising :thumbsup: