Retained Testicle

joelle

Hi just wondered if anyone had any experience of their dogs having a retained testicle and what the outcome was? (In terms of desexing, nothing else) for example, is it a straightforward procedure? are there any extra fees and charges? Is it a great deal more? is it a longer recovery?

Were booked in at the vet next month so Im sure he'll cover all that but just interested in others experiences?

Thanks

Hi just wondered if anyone had any experience of their dogs having a retained testicle and what the outcome was? (In terms of desexing, nothing else) for example, is it a straightforward procedure? are there any extra fees and charges? Is it a great deal more? is it a longer recovery?

Were booked in at the vet next month so Im sure he'll cover all that but just interested in others experiences?

Thanks

Yes and No. Often times the retained testicle is hard to find, so there's some hunting around to find it. That means longer under anaesthetic which means it costs more.

Also if it is really hard to find they can end up with a "zipper" on their tummy.

it is abdominal surgery so recovery is longer but often it depends on the individual dog as well. My dog who had a retained one was much less trouble that the other one that was "normal" - stoic nature versus "boy prima donna".

My boy had both retained, the surgery was similar to spaying, the cost was probably similar. He has a neat midline scar that is barely noticeable. I waited until he was fully grown at around 2yrs before surgery. I ahd 2 reaons for thatm one was that the testes can still produce some hormones and help build muscle and bone( that was my understanding). The second was that my breed can have anaesthetic issues, so I wanted to make sure he was as big and healthy as he could be before surgery.

Our vet said he could palpate one testical and traced the location of the second reasonably easily from the first.

You should ask your vet if they are experienced in this sugery and if they have seen many complications. Expect to have a big sook for a few days, and he will need gto be kept quuiet for around a week (from memory)

It really depends... on how hard they can be to find! Generally costs are very similar to a spey surgery as the vet has to search to find it. Sometimes you can be lucky and they are just in the groin and then it is not so bad. Recovery again depends but I would highly recommend on IV fluids as they really seem to improve recovery time and if it ends up being a long surgery. The clinic I'm at has seen a few cases where the previous vet wasn't able to find the 2nd testicle in a reasonable time frame and closed up and referred, so I'd probably ask them on their experiences in the clinic on that!

I was very fortunate, I had to wait to desex for a multitude of reasons and at 11 months my boys retained testicle dropped! The vets at my work said it is fairly rare for that to happen. I had him desexed as the testicle wasn't normal because it was retained but it did save a lot of extra costs.

My boy was spayed a month or so ago. He had both retained testicles. He also had to have a tooth removed & tear ducts flushed. With IV fluids & pre-blood test. Stupid spell check can't spell anathetic, neither can I. lol. It all cost around $730 & I was quoted closer to $780.

He had a zig zag suture line, they weren't too hard to find. I had him done at 8 mths because I'd heard they can become cancerous & I didn't want to take any chances. The vet wanted to do him closer to 6 mths but I believe in them maturing before desexing, so I was disappointed I couldn't wait longer.

The biggest benefit in having it done was that he was starting to mark his territory inside :eek: & out. The morning I took him to the vets to get done he cocked his leg 4 times in the waiting room while I was making the arrangements. :mad Thankfully he hasn't done it since. ;)

He came home with pain meds & he was quiet & slept a lot for the 1st 3 days. He also had to wear an Elizabethan collar for 8 days until I was sure he wouldn't keep licking his stitches.

Zorro has just had his retained testical removed I was amazed it only cost an extra $35 on top a regular desexing. Zorro's recovery didn't take longer than normal just the usual trying to keep him still and calm. He also went with out fluids ( I ticked the wrong box) I was beside my self when I found out. I was just so worried leaving him.

But the vet was sure it was sure it was sitting just outside the sack or in his abdomen, and it turned out it was on the left side of his abdomen. So I was luckily that it wasn't to hard to find.

I waited till zorro was 10 months I did want to wait till 12 months but I was a bit scared it would turn cancerous.

But yer it was very straight forward and nothing to worry about :) all I can say is make sure you read the paper work properly and triple check what you ticked.

Our GDS had one retained testicle so it was like a 'spey' and castration but from memory (7 years ago) the cost was only a bit more than a standard castration.

My Burmese cat also had the same problem and the breeder had used him once, hoping it would drop and when I went to buy a kitten from her for my sister in law, he was given to me. We also had him desexed, same situation, a 'spey' and castration.

I believe that sometimes they are quite high up and then the surgery is more involved and complex than if they are lower down.

• 1 month later...

Heres an update. The surgery went well, he fully recovered quickly. The testicle was fairly easy to get to and the fee was $345 including microchipping. I was happy with that:)

My last dog, a Jack Russell X, had one testicle retained. I waited a few extra months to desex hoping it would descend on its own but he had to go under the knife to retrieve it. It was, from memory, around $200 more expensive. His recovery time was hard to me to judge; he bounced back far quicker than Zeke did after his surgery... but then, that is JRs for you, and my Jayne in particular. He didn't know he'd been sedated - he got home and was like "Mum? Why am I in this crate? Want to run around with you and Zeke, lemme oooout!'