Barking

Souff

Very simple title for this one.

Friend has a longstanding neighbour and has a longstanding problem. Two barking dogs. Loud barking dogs. At night.

History with council goes back forever apparently. The only thing that has changed is that older dogs have died and been replaced with ones of the same breed. Large dogs. Great security dogs. Barking dogs when owners are not there.

Control measures were put in place, and peace reigned for a while. After a while the barking (for hours) starts up again and council gets involved again, and there is peace reigning once more ... etc etc infinitum.

For one hour and twenty minutes these 2 dogs were barking mad continuously on a recent Saturday night ... late.

Nobody at home. You could hear the racket from streets away and these dogs were seriously riled up and the noise carried through the still night air. One resident was so concerned that the owners must have been murdered in their own home, or that the dogs had an intruder bailed up inside the security gated compound, that they called in the police!

There would have been no point in calling council, this was Saturday night. The resident who called the cops had a valid point, there could have been something horrible happening and the dogs could have been doing their job.

The dogs owners are apparently annoyed that somebody had the nerve to call the cops in.

There was no problem, no problem at all, according to them.

No problem for them, they went and had a good Saturday night out, left their dogs outside to annoy all the local dog hating people (can you really blame them) and generally give dog owners a lousy name.

Dog owners like this fail to see just how much harm they do to the rest of the dog owning world in today's society.

These days good dog owners bend over backwards to do the right thing by their neighbours, and when I hear stuff like this (from very reliable sources) it just does my head in.

:mad

Your dogs DO bark and you MUST take ALL the necessary steps to stop your dogs from annoying the people who live around you.

The future of dog ownership is constantly under threat of more and more legislation, and you are, in part, causing the problem.

Rant over.

Souff

Not to mention that you want dogs that IF they do bark, they bark for a reason and that people will take notice of it. Otherwise, what's the point? A bit like having a house alarm that goes off so often that nobody will take any notice of it when indeed there IS something to take notice of.

Not to mention that you want dogs that IF they do bark, they bark for a reason and that people will take notice of it. Otherwise, what's the point? A bit like having a house alarm that goes off so often that nobody will take any notice of it when indeed there IS something to take notice of.

Erny, this is a very good point.

With this situation, the neighbours who cop the noise no longer treat the barking as an alarm.

One neighbour cannot have a phone call in the back rooms of her house, such is the level of the noise.

Windows are kept closed. They no longer think that these otherwise beautiful dogs may be giving any warning of danger.

They think only of the deafening noise.

Souff

Yes, this is so annoying. I think I'm now hyper-sensitive to stupid and irresponsible things that other dog people do, even things like not picking up after their dogs. It make me so, so angry.

I have a really annoying neighbour who yells obscenities over the fence whenever my dog barks. Except she's in the house all day, and only ever barks when she's outside, and if there's actually something to bark AT. Or if someone comes to the door. Ie, things that in my opinion, it's ok to bark at. Him yelling at her ("AHHHHHHHH SHUT THE EFF UP YA FILTHY EFFING MUTT EFFFFFF" etc etc) even in response to ONE bark, just sets her off. ARGH. I wish he understood how lucky he is that he's not living next to a dog that is actually problematic in their barking.

Rant over.

My next door has a little dog that constantly barks.

As we have known each other for years, I feel comfotable enough to just tell her that her dog is barking and annoying the crap out of me.

She apologises etc., and a few weeks later it starts again.

Recently her dog was barking two nights in a row between 8 - 9 pm so I just texted her and said "We are sick of your dog barking (meaning I was speaking on behalf of other neighbours) please take her inside. Well I haven't heard her dog bark since.

I used to also just yell over the fence to the dog, use it name and stay STOP IT (dog's name), damn thing would stop for a while and then start.

However, the dog she had before used to listen to me, was a very obedient dog and the one time it was was barking out of control I knew something must have been wrong, so I rang her on her mobile and she wasn't near home at all, so she sent her sister around to see what was going on.

I know she tries her best to stop her dog from barking, but what annoys me if the dog is barking in the middle of the night she is bloody louder than the dog and I hold myself back from yelling at her and staying SHUT THE f*** UP. :eek:

I had the issue of a barking dog on our farm (our farm backs onto residental houses). I've since built her a yard half way down our property so she can't be heard. She's got a muted bark so this has worked for us. Our neighbours commented that I'm louder than Rini is (when I yell at her) but that they aren't worried as they are hardly home. We've been blessed to have such nice neighbours :)

I don't see what good guard dogs are out in the yard anyway. The burglars just go in through the front door, or a front/side window. The dogs are stuck in the yard and can do nothing.

I keep my dogs inside when I'm out. One of the barked out of boredom for an hour one time. A nice neighbour let us know, so now we close all windows, doors and blinds every time we go out, so that she can't see anything to bark at, and if she does bark no one can hear her.

I do plan on getting a big serious guard dog one day, but it will also be kept in the house. Firstly because I don't see the point in having a dog that lives outside, if I'm getting a dog I want to enjoy it, and secondly it's no good as a guard dog out in the yard with no access to the house.

Before I moved in there were two problem rotties living at the bottom of my garden. The owners in the street apart from my house complained to Council for months and months. The dog owners had a restaurant and the dogs were left alone at night and howled and howled. Council eventually took action. The people were fined after years of court and eventually, more court to recover the fines. One of the neighbours moved out and rented elsewhere because of the constant lack of sleep. Even in extreme cases, there doesn't seem to be much they can do.

Opposite is a maltese who gives the breed a bad name. They let her out at 7am every morning and she barks every time someone goes up the street. Which is often, since it's a shortcut up to the shops/station. No-one complains to Council.

My neighbour complained about mine to Council once when I complained to him about the noisy aircon unit he installed a metre away from my house. Pure spite but what can you do? Council was OK. The ranger asked me if I actually had dogs in the house because he called by numerous times and never heard them.

Guest Willow

We had a barker once. My neighbour alerted me to her barking when i wasn't home, so I kept her inside from then on, or took her with me. Problem solved.....I cannot fathom how people can just not give a rats about how their dogs affect others....if nothing else, I would be scared that if I pissed people off for long enough, they would take matters into their own hands....

Guest donatella

I have a barker so doors are shut when we're not home so she can't hear or see outside, must be boring for her, but it stops the temptation to bark at passing people/dogs/possums/leaves

I have a barker and to be honest I find the management to be a PITA but I do as best as I can to avoid conflict with my neighbours.

Having said that they're not exactly helpful as they never tell me about the barking. My girl is inside mostly during the day and barks at people going past the front of the house. You can't hear her bark when shes inside. At night though she will bark at the possums while she's out for a wee. I had no idea it annoyed the neighbours because whenever I said to them 'please tell me if my dogs barking is annoying you' or 'I'm sorry about the barking' etc. they always told me that they never hear them. So I thought all was good. Then one night one of the neighbours came out an yelled at her to 'shut up dog' and I started noticing their kids yelling at them to 'shut up dog' and banging on the fence if they barked while we were outside playing (during the day). They must of learned it from somewhere!

So now she just isn't allowed outside after dark unless I'm right there with her. Even on lead though she will still get some barks out at the possum if it's there so it makes it really hard. I am trying my best but she has to pee.

Maybe I should start yelling 'shut up kids' as they drive their little trikes up and down the side of the house banging a stick on the colourbond fence at 6am ;)

I can't understand however, how some people just do nothing about their dog barking.

I also think it has to do with people not knowing their dog is barking.

Of course if they know they should do something about it, but if the dog is barking when no-one is home and the neighbours don't say anything, then how would they even know they have an issue?

Of course if they know they should do something about it, but if the dog is barking when no-one is home and the neighbours don't say anything, then how would they even know they have an issue?

And IMO that comes back down to the owners - they should say "hi" to their neighbours when they get a dog and invite their neighbours to contact them should their dog prove a nuisance.

And IMO that comes back down to the owners - they should say "hi" to their neighbours when they get a dog and invite their neighbours to contact them should their dog prove a nuisance.

Oh I agree Erny but take my situation into account....

When we moved in to our house we went to every neighbour, turns out no-one lives on one side, they just collect the mail, the back we spoke to and let them know we had dogs (he has some also) and to tell us if there were any issues (there hasn't been), the ones on our right though NEVER answer their door, we've been round multiple times since we moved in but if they don't want to talk to us, what can you do?

When we moved in to our house we went to every neighbour, turns out no-one lives on one side, they just collect the mail, the back we spoke to and let them know we had dogs (he has some also) and to tell us if there were any issues (there hasn't been), the ones on our right though NEVER answer their door, we've been round multiple times since we moved in but if they don't want to talk to us, what can you do?

Some years ago I wanted to be sure my dogs were not baking when I was out so I left a tape recorder on and discovered that one of them whined the whole time.

Some years ago I wanted to be sure my dogs were not baking when I was out so I left a tape recorder on and discovered that one of them whined the whole time.

We know they don't bark much during the day from the back neighbour, whose little ones go nuts constantly :laugh: so I'm not worried, I only meant that in some cases neighbours don't tell people their dogs are barking. But yeah, recording them if you're not sure is a great idea.

Yes, this is so annoying. I think I'm now hyper-sensitive to stupid and irresponsible things that other dog people do, even things like not picking up after their dogs. It make me so, so angry.

I have a really annoying neighbour who yells obscenities over the fence whenever my dog barks. Except she's in the house all day, and only ever barks when she's outside, and if there's actually something to bark AT. Or if someone comes to the door. Ie, things that in my opinion, it's ok to bark at. Him yelling at her ("AHHHHHHHH SHUT THE EFF UP YA FILTHY EFFING MUTT EFFFFFF" etc etc) even in response to ONE bark, just sets her off. ARGH. I wish he understood how lucky he is that he's not living next to a dog that is actually problematic in their barking.

Rant over.

Similar problem here. If my dogs bark for more then 5 seconds straight, even once per day, the neighbour is out there yelling.

The first time I thought there must really be an issue so went over, knocked on the door and explained that yes, I have a 4 month old (at the time) puppy, I realise her bark is very loud, however the small amount of barking you heard was because of .......... and I am working on training her out of it. I was met with "Well that's not good enough and I won't tolerate it". The dog had barked for less than a minute at 7:30pm at night. o_O

Well several repeats of her screeching through the fence to "Shut that dog up!" every time she made a noise and I realised that she wasn't 'suffering', she was simply being a bully. Took the wooden spoon out into the yard and bashed it against the water tank for 30 seconds, told her that if she wanted real noise then I'd happily give it to her. embarrass.gif Haven't had any problems since..

The thing that makes me so angry is that unlike everyone around me I DO do the right thing by my dogs. They are walked at least twice per day, trained, crated inside on a night, never bark for hours on end. The Mali has a supersonic bark that could probably be heard from 2 streets over however she never barks for more than about 15 seconds at a time, never more than once or twice per day and never during the night. Usually it's from inside the house anyway.

Makes me think that perhaps I should turf both dogs outside for 24 hours with no exercise and no stimulation like the rest of the dogs on this street so they can find out what 'real' problem barking sounds like.

Mind you these are the same neighbours that complained when my pup knocked a bone against the fence because 'she might damage it'. Argh!

Unless it is constant a dog is allowed to bark at 8-9pm. Where I live it can bark for 15 minutes in every hour until 11pm and not be deemed a nuisance

My concern is never the council, they do jack shit, but nasty (or fed up) neighbours taking matters into their own hands. frown.gif