What Time Do You Think Is Reasonable?

Ceilidh

Oh the lives of Secretary's and cataloguers! When you have your phone number on a show schedule you are easy pickings!

So my question is...what is the earliest and lastest times you would ring with a question or information?

I have been having a real stressful time with one of my bitches in the vets and not sleeping much at all. Then yesterday morning I finally went into a deep sleep somewhere around 4am and low and behold, the damn phone woke me up at.......7.30AM!!!!! Am I the only one that thinks this is WAY too early? Even if I hadn't been having sleepless nights I still think 7.30am is way too early to ring someone, especially a stranger!! This person rang to say he had sent his entries the day before and had forgot to put his bitches class on the entry! I got his entry yesterday and guess what??? The class WAS on the entry!! So a pointless call ANYWAY!!!

Somebody I don't know, I tend to stick to 9am - 9pm in the latter part of the week. From Sunday to say Wednesday, 9am - 8pm. If I know them or know their personal situation (ie work, studying, age, caring for somebody etc) I will ring according but usually never later than 9pm by arrangement or 8am by arrangement.

Friends are open slather and those people who have my numbers know that they can ring any time of the day or night because I take the phones to bed with me and due to health conditions I keep weird hours anyway.

It can be very difficult to know what time is best ....

Many people work so may not be available during the day.

If it was me .. I'd probably call between 6-9pm and then of course you run the

risk of calling while they're having dinner.

It can be very difficult to know what time is best ....

Many people work so may not be available during the day.

If it was me .. I'd probably call between 6-9pm and then of course you run the

risk of calling while they're having dinner.

yup this..

I hate calling people I dont know and always apologise profusly for interupting thier lives! lol!

:eek: 7:30 AM...OMG that is a little early.... :mad would not be pleased at all...

I get up at 1/4 to 5 in a morning but always go back to bed later when all dogs are done.....

Maybe the answer is put say Noon till 4pm then NO calls before or after this time, that gives them a span of time to plan...

Or yes maybe e-mail is another option.....

Or take phone off hook untill you are ready to deal with the callers..... ;)

Edited by Mandalay

I put no calls after 9:30pm on all trial schedules I am secretary for. I also include an email address and I use a mobile number so people can (and do) text me. I am not a morning person and a 7:30am call would not be received well. :mad

:eek: I would have exploded at them at 7.30 am

As suggested put a time frame and a time that suits you Like AM 9-11 PM 6-8 anything outside this time will be met with Angry Response ;)

I feel that people who keep odd hours just expect everyone to do the same........ :banghead:

Before 8am - I always think someone in my immediate family must have died or be nearly dead if the phone rings then. Not a good feeling and I ofen answer the phone with "who died?". To which my brother usually says "so are you still under the duna then?"...

Sometimes my family ring me then but not many other people.

At the moment - I'm not often home first thing in the morning...out walking the dog if I'm good. So usually miss all calls until I get back.

And then there is "after work" for not work calls. Before 8:30pm is best and after 6pm but that's right when most people have dinner and/or watch their fave telly which is still a PITA.

So you can't win. Mostly I just say what it's about and ask when's good to talk. So they have the choice of defering the call if they want. Sometimes I delay making a call for ages - because there is never a good time to call.

Early morning doesn't bother me as I am up at 5:15, but I wouldn't do it to someone else.

I put "not after 8pm" on my schedules but I FAR prefer email which is also on our schedule. As I've mentioned before, you can get to email in your own time and email provides a record of what was agreed between secretary and exhibitor. I also think there is less bullshit on the email, for example, people are less inclined to ask for outrageous favours or ask who is entered etc. because there is a record.

One thing I'm wary of is FB, and while I'm happy to use our club FB page to put messages out, I am not going to accept PMs for entry related matters.

I keep odd hours as I work night shift with a changing roster. Hard to put that in the gazette but I do use my mobile number and try to change the message on it to fit the circumstances ie postal entries have closed, ozentries close on such and such, best way to contact me is by text or email.

Then I switch the phone to silent.

One of my pet peeves are people who reel off their phone numbers and you have to listen, and pay, to the message 3 times before you can get it all. So a directive to repeat your phone number twice, slowly, went on and lo and behold people actually did so!

I have also had people ring about that time in the morning - not happy Jan!!!

Their excuse is that they have to go to work!!!

Umm - I am not anyone's Show Secretary at 7.30 am in the morning.

Can also remember someone ringing around 10.30 pm the night before the show!

They had just discovered the bitch was in season, and could they still show it!

If I had answered as I felt, then the bitch may not have been capable of being shown!!!!

Same as everyone else, when the phone rings at odd hours, you think of family members being

involved in accidents or something even worse!!!!!