Long Haired Dog Moulting

I have a 2yo sheltie and she's moulting like no tomorrow at the moment. I'm still brushing her daily and getting tonnes of hair off her. My question is the days are getting shorter, its definitely getting cooler at night here in Vic, yet she's losing all her coat in the lead up to winter? My cats moult like clockwork, as soon as the days start getting warmer they drop their coats.. and now the weathers getting cooler they are starting to fluff up again.

Is there any reason why the dog would lose all her coat now, when she needs it the most? I find it strange and last year was the same.

She was desexed as a pup by the breeder, so never had a season. She is an inside dog, and I'm not one for turning on the heating too much. Her coat did the same thing last year and the sheltie people can't shed light on it either. I just think its strange.

I think you'll find many people asking the same questions. It seems to be a common discussion point in dog AND horse worlds at the moment.

Have no answers I'm afraid, only empathy (my Greyhound is shedding bucketloads of hair when he should be getting woollier for our cold Tassie Winter) and a nod in agreement!

We had a very cool summer here, not sure about where you are, but my seasonal shedder is just slowing down in his shedding now. Other times it's been 2 weeks of crazy OMG so much fur but this year it was about 2 months of continuous tumbleweeds. Just a few floating around now.

Edit: I also noticed some trees in our street turning orange VERY early this year.

Edited by wuffles

My collies have done that for the last two years, don't worry her winter coat will come back in. After a lot of thought I think it's due in part to the strange weather patterns we've been having, and being inside probably doesn't help either because of course we have artifical lighting on at night.

My collies have done that for the last two years, don't worry her winter coat will come back in. After a lot of thought I think it's due in part to the strange weather patterns we've been having, and being inside probably doesn't help either because of course we have artifical lighting on at night.

Actually when you think about it us victorians have had non-existant summers for the last 2 years.. that obviously plays a big part.

My male Border Collies and desexed females have always shed twice a year in November and March/April. I never had a dog in full coat the for the Specialties and Royal at Easter and many of the breed are the same. They grow a summer coat and a winter coat, dropping each one to grow the other. The entire females shed twice a year by their seasons.

Animals shed according the hours of daylight, not the temperature.

Perfectly normal for her to shed her "summer" coat then grow a "winter" coat, but it could be because of the lack of hormones that she never actually sheds quite as normal.

Just keep brushing! :laugh:

Found plenty of warm water baths help to shed the coat quicker. Don't need shampoo in all of them. But the warm water and the stimulation from a hydrobath helps quicken the shed time.

Emu Oil tablets is apparently also good for quickening the shed time.

On the weekend I'm going to give her another bath and blow dry, that blows a lot of the dead coat out too.. fingers crossed that might get the last of it out.

One of the disadvantages of desexed dogs is that the coats shed a lot slower and tend to matt easier than they do with entire dogs. The entire ones tend to blow the whole coat in a matter of days to a couple of weeks at most and it is easily blown out with a good dryer. Once desexed they shed for weeks on end and the texture is different so it tangles rather than just falling straight out.

Most of the time her coat is not hard to maintain, its just a bit of a nightmare at the moment. If I give her a 5 mins brush under her legs, back of legs and behind her ears each day she doesn't really get knots. However, if it gets left for a few weeks, I do live to regret it. It will matt in certain parts. Thats just part and parcel with any long-haired pet. I'd rather deal with some extra moulting than having an entire dog to be honest.