Bison The Rottweiler And His Lymphoma Battle

DerRottweiler

Dr your holistic vet will know what supplements to used based on the cancer, the chemo protocol and the general health of the dog...

You need your vet, oncologist and holistic vet to share all their test results with each other in the best interest of Bison...

Our vet used to send all our blood tests results to our oncologist and our holistic vet each week.

We also used cooked meat due to the bacteria that could be present while on chemo.

I took his temp twice a day and we had bloods done to check white cell count before each chemo session.. Ollie had vinblastin one week, lomustein (sp?) the second week and a week off, at the beginning of the 4th week he would have bloods done to see if he was healthy enough to endure another 2 weeks of chemo again...

Glad to see he is doing so well...

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr your holistic vet will know what supplements to used based on the cancer, the chemo protocol and the general health of the dog...

You need your vet, oncologist and holistic vet to share all their test results with each other in the best interest of Bison...

Our vet used to send all our blood tests results to our oncologist and our holistic vet each week.

We also used cooked meat due to the bacteria that could be present while on chemo.

I took his temp twice a day and we had bloods done to check white cell count before each chemo session.. Ollie had vinblastin one week, lomustein (sp?) the second week and a week off, at the beginning of the 4th week he would have bloods done to see if he was healthy enough to endure another 2 weeks of chemo again...

Glad to see he is doing so well...

When I spoke to the oncologist on the phone, he seemed rather negative about supps/natural approach and insisted that there is no proof that anything works. He did say you can use this or that and it won't interfere with the chemo, but he also said vitamin C wil and so on. When I meet him in person again I'll have a whole stack of questions to get through regarding diet and appropriate supps. He did say that transfer factor and immunity plus are fine to use, but again, there is no proof it works, or they'd have put a study out etc.

I'll start cooking his food as of next week, don't want to change his diet too suddenly just in case he stops eating on account of being fussy...and I'll think it is a side effect or something.

07/04/2012: Bison is himself again. He is full of energy and is eating very well. I know for next time, when he is given the oral medication that I can expect him to be lethargic/put off food/water for around a day. He looks very healthy at the moment, I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow. :).

Our vet and oncologist were the same to begin with.. But in hindsight, it I hard to argue with the fact that ollies cancer diagnosis was 12-18 months with chemo... With holistic assistance he lived 6 years..

The fact is, as I pointed out to my vet, I am paying for the test and the results, I would like that information shared with our holistic vet... Sometimes you have to stand your ground if that is what you want... I also offered to pay the cost to email or fax them to the holistic vet... Which the vet said not to worry about.

I wish more vets were open to the holistic approach in assisting with conventional medicine... Holistic vets are not trying to take the place of conventional medicine but they can provide supplements that can help the patient while they are undergoing treatments.

Ollie took Lymphrodran and anti-Ox as well as five mushroom drops, vit c and some othe things depending on where we were up to and his results...

Change the diet slowly, maybe half cook for a week or so and then cook it all...

Glad to hear he is back to himself, it happens that way, you think that they are fine then they get a bit flat for a day or so.

Our vet and oncologist were the same to begin with.. But in hindsight, it I hard to argue with the fact that ollies cancer diagnosis was 12-18 months with chemo... With holistic assistance he lived 6 years..

The fact is, as I pointed out to my vet, I am paying for the test and the results, I would like that information shared with our holistic vet... Sometimes you have to stand your ground if that is what you want... I also offered to pay the cost to email or fax them to the holistic vet... Which the vet said not to worry about.

I wish more vets were open to the holistic approach in assisting with conventional medicine... Holistic vets are not trying to take the place of conventional medicine but they can provide supplements that can help the patient while they are undergoing treatments.

Ollie took Lymphrodran and anti-Ox as well as five mushroom drops, vit c and some othe things depending on where we were up to and his results...

Change the diet slowly, maybe half cook for a week or so and then cook it all...

Glad to hear he is back to himself, it happens that way, you think that they are fine then they get a bit flat for a day or so.

Thanks again for your input. It is truly helpful and I think all the advice I'm taking in is proving to be beneficial.

I will see the Oncologist on Thursday and I'll have a detailed discussion about supps and diet. :)

09/04/2012: Bison is doing very well. No further side effects from his treatment on Friday. So it seems from two of the drugs he's used, he's had no or little side effects. I think there are another two that he'll use down the track, but so far, all seems good. He has good energy levels and is eating very well. I'm feeding him human grade mince only mixed with vegies. This week I'll start cooking his food and adding supps after speaking to the oncologist.

Thanks all. :)

Edited by DerRottweiler

Happy to share what I can.. Ollie's cancer was very different to Bison's but I was the same as you... I asked heaps of questions and researched, researched and then researched some more...

I don't think I stopped learning about mast cell cancer the whole 6 years Ollie was with me...

Glad to hear he is doing so well with the treatment.. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. :)

12/04/2012: Yesterday went fine, a blood test was performed and everything was fine in that regard, so Bison was given his 3rd treatment.

All lymph nodes have gone down significantly, although they're still abnormal and there are still abnormal cells present in his bloodstream.

Everything seems on track though and is going as planned.

He doesn't really get any side effects with the particular drug he was given yesterday. For the one that is adminsitered at home, he will be given anti-nausea tablets in future.

Next week is his 4th treatment and a drug that he hasn't used yet.

In terms of suppliments/diet, the Oncologist advised not to change anything just yet and not to add anything either. He doesn't want to fiddle with anything while everything is going well, he said later on in treatment or during remission, the supps might help. So that's a no go for now.......I have started cooking his food however and he loves it.

13/04/2012: Bison is showing no side effects just yet. When I left this morning, he was sleeping in the sun, it is a very nice day in Melbourne today. :)

thrilled that Bison is doing so well.

I'll second what staffyluv said re4 oncologist and holistic treatment. Lucinda onc advised PTS after afew days to say goodbye... with complementary treatemnt in conjuction with her regular vet Lucinda lived many many more years and she lived them well. Lucinda was treated by the same holistic practice that treated Ollie Dog. My usual vet has now become a convert to complementary treatment... note "complementary"... Dr Fougere and Tony would consult with Lucindas treatemnt.

May i recommend keeping a note book with you and you can record questions etc as frequently during a consult you can get sidetracked. You can slo make notes re options etc ect...

Helen

Just checking on how the big guy is doing...

Very happy to hear he is in such good spirits and feeling so well..

Most dogs breeze through chemo. I know Ollie did, he only had a few flat days and from memory, only caught a bug a couple of times...

Lots of people said I shouldn't be taking him out to parks and stuff but you just don't know how long they have and to me making every day count was more important than the chance he was going to catch a bug from a compromised immune system..

Good luck DR, you and Bison are going great guns...

Edited by Staffyluv