Should We Disclose A Foster Dogs Past When Being Rehomed?.

There is a dog being advertised with a large rescue organisation at the moment who has mauled a small dog to death. This dog is currently on a facebook site where some in rescue advertise their dogs. An offshoot to the large organisation which has a massive following and lots of public support.. ...

When i contacted the person who has the dog advertised as great with all animals and kids via pm on facebook to ask her if she was aware of the dogs past she said yes but it was all lies and the person who was fostering the dog & who owned the small dog was irresponsible and had lots of dogs die in her care. This person has only lost 2 dogs in her care. 1 died of a heartmurmur even though on medication & the other is the small dog who was killed. . Talk about denial. Lets just sweep this under the carpet and pretend it has not happened.. Then ask for a photo of the deceased dog for proof. When the photo was supplied they stated how it was upsetting them. Then in the next breath i was told to email them the photo so they could send them along with the dog when it was being assessed by a professional. I would have thought the dog would have been assessed already its been in care about 5 weeks. There was a lot of abusive messages & threats from one of the heads of this organisation but that will not deter me. They were caught out with their non disclosure and false advertising and this made them angry. They even stooped to trying to lay a guilt trip in regards to the dog in their care saying that now a beautiful dog will lose its life. No mention of the small dog or the fact that there will be more die if this is not disclosed.Maybe next time it might be a small child.

I would like to think that responsible rescue would not place a dog with a history like this with the unsuspecting public without disclosing what had happened. Would like to see more transparency with the rehoming of a dog with a history such as this. That is not too much to ask . .

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is this very reason that I will not adopt a dog...

Everything should be disclosed- sadly this is not the case for some.

I don't think everyone would withhold the information of a dogs past.

I guess it depends on their ethics

Another rescue group making it harder for us ethical rescuers to keep up good appearances.

ETA: Sometimes it is hard to known if the previous owner is telling the truth regarding the history, but this highlights why it is so important for temperament assessments to be done AFTER the settling in period.

Edited by shmoo

It is this very reason that I will not adopt a dog...

Everything should be disclosed- sadly this is not the case for some.

I wouldn't need to disclose simply because I would not taken on and rehome a dog that had serious issues such as these. If you adopt from a reputable rescuer you are likely to have a sound dog.

This group should not be re-homing this dog as it is not safe to be in the general population. Not without serious behaviour modification work and management, due to it's obvious tendency to mutilate. Unfortunately most rescues, shelters and pounds do not behaviour assess their dogs, and re-home simply based on their un-educated opinion. This is why rescue animals get a bad rap, as they are inappropriately assessed and lack of matching by many groups to potential adopters.

The history that a previous owner will give can be both vital and also a waste of time. Some lie, some simply have no idea what they were seeing when events took place. A well written surrender form will dig up info the person would rather not disclose, but again most forms are not correctly written. Plus there are dogs that are picked up by rangers with no history, which is why we come back to the assessment being so vital.

Everything that you know about a dog should be disclosed, good and bad.

If you have a dog that has killed another or seriuosly injured another dog or is in a high risk of doing so, you should go straight to the vet and have it put to sleep or you ar risking other people and their animals.

Far too many nice natured animals out there, dying every day.

It is completely irresponsible to rehome such a dog and should it attack/kill another dog in the future, what these people don't realise is that they could be sued.

If it hurt one of my dogs, I'd be taking someone to court, most definitely and they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they already knew the dog was a killer.

Everything should be disclosed.

Who is this group? I know you probably can't 'name names' but any subtle hints? I always feel people should know about the practices of other groups, as it helps us all determine whether or not to work with or promote them, but I understand the reason why we can't come out and name them.

This wouldn't be an isolated incident and I have seen groups re-home dogs that

have issues, but if you open your mouth against a "reputable" or "high profile"

group you are treated like a leper.

So regardless of who this group is, there are others just as guilty

This situation is nothing more than shameful.

Tsk tsk to the 'rescue' group in question for actively trying to rehome a dog, known to have recently mauled a small dog to death, advertising he/she is good with children, small dogs ( :eek: ) chooks, etc, without full disclosure.

Immoral

Negligent

Disgraceful

:mad

Everything that you know about a dog should be disclosed, good and bad.

This.

Not only is it better for the dog (because a home can be matched better if potential adopters know of any issues that might affect suitability) but for the reputation of rescue in general.

If I rehome a dog that has previously been through a pet home (such as one of our current fosters, Osti), potential homes are informed of why the dog was surrendered. In Osti's case, she just has bad recall, not all that surprising, for a greyhound- but in cases of aggression and the like, I find it disturbing that new owners would not be fully informed.

I have no idea who the group in question is but if they are a big and reputable group, they should know better :mad

let me start by saying chinese whispers can be very ungy this is when the truth gets lost in stories being told from one person to another. who knows the truth other then the foster carrer & her family that were there at the time. maybe i can clear us some of the stories & i say stories because they are made up events from people that were not there at the time nor have had any contact with the foster carer of the dog in question. Fact no#1 I WAS THE FOSTER CARER of the dog in question I AM THE ONE THAT HAS LOST MY FAMILY MEMBER I AM THE ONE THAT HAD TO REMOVE MY DEAD DOGGIE FROM THE DOG IN QUESTION I AM THE ONE THAT HAD TO WAS THE BLOOD FROM THE DOGS MOUTH IN QUESTION BEFORE MY 8YR OLD DAUGHTER CAME HOME. IM THE ONE THAT SITS HERE EVERY DAY & SEES MY MY BEAUTIFUL LITTLE BOYS ASHES. IAM THE ONE THAT TRUSTED THIS DOG THAT SHARED THE SAME BED IN THE SUN WITH MY LITTLE GUY. I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE DOG IN QUESTION FROM THE 1ST TIME I SEEN HER AT THE POUND. I DONE EVERYTHING I COULD TO FOSTER HER. I SEEN A PLEE ON FB FROM A LARGE WELL KNOWN RESCUE GROUP & I MADE CONTACT WITH THEM IN REGARDS TO BEING A FOSTER CARER FOR THIS DOG AS HER DUE DATE HAD BEEN & GONE. I WAS EMAILED A ON LINE FORM TO FILL OUT & I DID & SHARED A FEW EMAILS FROM DIFFERENT PEOPLE WITH IN THIS RESCUE GROUP & WAS TOLD TO PICK HER UP THE NEXT MORNING. I DID & THEN TOOK HER TO MY VET AS SHE HAD A GROTH ON HER BACK. SHE WAS INTRODUCED SLOWLY TO MY OTHER DOGS & THERE WAS NO ISSUE. ON THE DAY THIS HAPPEN MYOTHER DOGS WERE IN THE DOG RUN & THE DOG IN QUESTION WAS OUT SO I COULD PUT THE CREAM ON HER BACK & PUT MORE SUN BLOCK ON HER. MY LITTLE DOGGIE I LET OUT SIDE TO GO TO THE TOILET. I HAD GONE UP STAIRS & IN THAT TIME IS WHEN THE MAULING HAPPENED. IM GUILTY OF MAKING A POOR CHOICE IN LEAVING MY LITTLE DOGGIE OUT THERE ON HIS OWN BUT DIDNT THINK TWICE ABOUT IT AS THERE HAS NEVER BEEN AN ISSUE BEFORE. IM GUILTY OF TRUSTING MY NEWEST FOSTER DOG. I LIVE WITH THE GUILT EVERY DAY AS IVE LOST A BEAUTIFUL LITTLE DOG THAT WAS MY BED BUDDY & WOULD COME TO WORK WITH ME EVERY DAY. MY POOR CHOICE COST HIM HIS LIFE. NOW I MADE A CHOICE WHEN ASKED ON A FB PAGE WHAT HAPPEN TO MY DOG HOW DID HE DIE. I RESPONDED HE HAD EPILEPSY & IT WAS HIS TIME TO CROSS THE DOGGIE RAIN BOW. I ALLOWED PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THIS AS MY KIDS ARE ALSO ON FB & I DIDNOT WABT MY YOUNGEST KIDS TO BE EVEN MORE DEVERSTATED THEN THEY ALREADY WERE. I DO NOT & WILL NOT APOLOGISE FOR THAT. I THEN CONTACTED & WAS CONTACTED BY SOMEONE FROM THIS RESCUE GROUP. THE DECISION WAS MADE TO TAKE THE FOSTER DOG TO A BOARDING KENNEL THE NEXT DAY. AT THE TIME I ASK IF THIS COULD BE KEPT QUIET SO THE FOSTER DOG COULD HAVE A CHANCE OF BEING ASSEST & REHOMED BUT NOT WITH OTHER DOGS& IVE NEVER HEARD FROM THAT RESCUE GROUP AGAIN. NOW LET ME CLEAR A FEW LIES UP ..........I HAVE NOT HAD HEAPS OF FOSTER DOGS DIE IN MY CARE I HAVE HAD 1 DOG DIE IN MY CARE HE WAS A BEAUTIFUL CHI WITH A BAD HEART MURMUR I HAD HIM FOR 3 WEEKS & HE DIED IN MY DAUGHTERS LAP & MY BEAUTIFUL LITTLE BUDDY THAT WAS KILLED BY THIS OTHER FOSTER DOG. NOT 1 PERSON THAT IS MORE THEN HAPPY TO SAY IM HIDING SOMTHING & IM LYING & ALL THE OTHER CRAP YOU WANT TO SLING AT ME NOT 1 OF YOU HAVE BOTHERED TO CONTACT ME & ASK ME WHAT HAPPEN. INSTEAD YOU WOULD RATHER LISTEN TO ALL THE IWAS TOLD OR I HEARD STORIES. WELL NOW YOU HAVE HEARD IT FORM ME. I REALLY DONT CARE WHAT YOU THINK OF ME I WILL CONTINUE TO TRY & RE EDUCATE PEOPLE ON BACK YARD BREEDING & DOGS & CATS IN PET SHOPS & I WILL CONTINUE TO LOVE & FOSTER DOGS. IF YOU WANT TO JUDGE ME WELL JUDGE ME ON THE TRUTH NOT LIES!I HAVE LEARNT A VERY HARD LESSON IN ALL OF THIS & NEO MY BEAUTIFUL LITTLE DOG I MISS YOU EVERY DAY & IM SORRY.

let me start by saying chinese whispers can be very ungy this is when the truth gets lost in stories being told from one person to another. who knows the truth other then the foster carrer & her family that were there at the time. maybe i can clear us some of the stories & i say stories because they are made up events from people that were not there at the time nor have had any contact with the foster carer of the dog in question. Fact no#1 I WAS THE FOSTER CARER of the dog in question I AM THE ONE THAT HAS LOST MY FAMILY MEMBER I AM THE ONE THAT HAD TO REMOVE MY DEAD DOGGIE FROM THE DOG IN QUESTION I AM THE ONE THAT HAD TO WAS THE BLOOD FROM THE DOGS MOUTH IN QUESTION BEFORE MY 8YR OLD DAUGHTER CAME HOME. IM THE ONE THAT SITS HERE EVERY DAY & SEES MY MY BEAUTIFUL LITTLE BOYS ASHES. IAM THE ONE THAT TRUSTED THIS DOG THAT SHARED THE SAME BED IN THE SUN WITH MY LITTLE GUY. I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE DOG IN QUESTION FROM THE 1ST TIME I SEEN HER AT THE POUND. I DONE EVERYTHING I COULD TO FOSTER HER. I SEEN A PLEE ON FB FROM A LARGE WELL KNOWN RESCUE GROUP & I MADE CONTACT WITH THEM IN REGARDS TO BEING A FOSTER CARER FOR THIS DOG AS HER DUE DATE HAD BEEN & GONE. I WAS EMAILED A ON LINE FORM TO FILL OUT & I DID & SHARED A FEW EMAILS FROM DIFFERENT PEOPLE WITH IN THIS RESCUE GROUP & WAS TOLD TO PICK HER UP THE NEXT MORNING. I DID & THEN TOOK HER TO MY VET AS SHE HAD A GROTH ON HER BACK. SHE WAS INTRODUCED SLOWLY TO MY OTHER DOGS & THERE WAS NO ISSUE. ON THE DAY THIS HAPPEN MYOTHER DOGS WERE IN THE DOG RUN & THE DOG IN QUESTION WAS OUT SO I COULD PUT THE CREAM ON HER BACK & PUT MORE SUN BLOCK ON HER. MY LITTLE DOGGIE I LET OUT SIDE TO GO TO THE TOILET. I HAD GONE UP STAIRS & IN THAT TIME IS WHEN THE MAULING HAPPENED. IM GUILTY OF MAKING A POOR CHOICE IN LEAVING MY LITTLE DOGGIE OUT THERE ON HIS OWN BUT DIDNT THINK TWICE ABOUT IT AS THERE HAS NEVER BEEN AN ISSUE BEFORE. IM GUILTY OF TRUSTING MY NEWEST FOSTER DOG. I LIVE WITH THE GUILT EVERY DAY AS IVE LOST A BEAUTIFUL LITTLE DOG THAT WAS MY BED BUDDY & WOULD COME TO WORK WITH ME EVERY DAY. MY POOR CHOICE COST HIM HIS LIFE. NOW I MADE A CHOICE WHEN ASKED ON A FB PAGE WHAT HAPPEN TO MY DOG HOW DID HE DIE. I RESPONDED HE HAD EPILEPSY & IT WAS HIS TIME TO CROSS THE DOGGIE RAIN BOW. I ALLOWED PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THIS AS MY KIDS ARE ALSO ON FB & I DIDNOT WABT MY YOUNGEST KIDS TO BE EVEN MORE DEVERSTATED THEN THEY ALREADY WERE. I DO NOT & WILL NOT APOLOGISE FOR THAT. I THEN CONTACTED & WAS CONTACTED BY SOMEONE FROM THIS RESCUE GROUP. THE DECISION WAS MADE TO TAKE THE FOSTER DOG TO A BOARDING KENNEL THE NEXT DAY. AT THE TIME I ASK IF THIS COULD BE KEPT QUIET SO THE FOSTER DOG COULD HAVE A CHANCE OF BEING ASSEST & REHOMED BUT NOT WITH OTHER DOGS& IVE NEVER HEARD FROM THAT RESCUE GROUP AGAIN. NOW LET ME CLEAR A FEW LIES UP ..........I HAVE NOT HAD HEAPS OF FOSTER DOGS DIE IN MY CARE I HAVE HAD 1 DOG DIE IN MY CARE HE WAS A BEAUTIFUL CHI WITH A BAD HEART MURMUR I HAD HIM FOR 3 WEEKS & HE DIED IN MY DAUGHTERS LAP & MY BEAUTIFUL LITTLE BUDDY THAT WAS KILLED BY THIS OTHER FOSTER DOG. NOT 1 PERSON THAT IS MORE THEN HAPPY TO SAY IM HIDING SOMTHING & IM LYING & ALL THE OTHER CRAP YOU WANT TO SLING AT ME NOT 1 OF YOU HAVE BOTHERED TO CONTACT ME & ASK ME WHAT HAPPEN. INSTEAD YOU WOULD RATHER LISTEN TO ALL THE IWAS TOLD OR I HEARD STORIES. WELL NOW YOU HAVE HEARD IT FORM ME. I REALLY DONT CARE WHAT YOU THINK OF ME I WILL CONTINUE TO TRY & RE EDUCATE PEOPLE ON BACK YARD BREEDING & DOGS & CATS IN PET SHOPS & I WILL CONTINUE TO LOVE & FOSTER DOGS. IF YOU WANT TO JUDGE ME WELL JUDGE ME ON THE TRUTH NOT LIES!I HAVE LEARNT A VERY HARD LESSON IN ALL OF THIS & NEO MY BEAUTIFUL LITTLE DOG I MISS YOU EVERY DAY & IM SORRY.

First off, I get that this must be very hard for you to go through, I don't think anyone on this thread is having a go at you at all, let alone know who you even are, it is more a concern of the rescue group that is handling this dog.

I don't know who the rescue group is that you contacted, but am appalled that you were not given help during or after the event and the dog that attacked yours was taken to kennels. To me that is not rescue that is just shit.

You state you have not had many rescue dogs, the group should have at least assisted you during that time, with advice and how to introduce the dogs and the caution that needs to be taken on accepting a pound dog and the weeks following. Especially if there is a large size differences of the dogs.

The other concern I can see is that this dog is still out there and who knows what is happening to that dog, or if some unsuspecting person goes to adopt this dog with no clue what so ever of the history of this dog and the caution that needs to be taken (if the dog should not be even put to sleep - yes I know a dirty word, but you can not save one dog for that dog to hurt another let alone leave a family without their pet). If my neighbour or family or friend got this dog and it hurt mine, I would be after the rescue group especially if there is a history of the dog killing another dog that was not disclosed.

Another wider issue is, that things like this make people run a mile from adopting dogs, this does not just affect one dog or one person, this has a ripple effect through the whole of rescue, a lot of reputable rescue groups work very very hard with the dogs they take on and would not rehome this dog for the safety of other people's dogs and society.

Most rescues would not let you apply online and not have a yard inspection, meet in person, quarantine a dog, be available for support, let alone a few days later after applying picking the dog up - what you have described is not rescue it is a farce and a dangerous one at that.

That dog that killed yours was given a chance, by you, you paid the ultimate price none of us would want to happen. How dare they say to you to keep it quiet to give the dog a chance. That is saying your dog's death was nothing compared to saving this dog that killed yours.

I could keep going but will actually stop here, I am sorry for your loss, I hope no one else goes through that, and hope you follow up on what happened so the next unsuspecting person that applies online does not end up in the same situation as you.

Unfortunately we are seeing a little too much of this sort of thing since the advent of a couple of new "rescue" organisations... foster carers being left high and dry and being made to feel guilty about something negative a foster dog has done whilst in their care. It needs to stop, and stop NOW - before ALL of rescue gets a bad name.

Reputable rescues thoroughly screen their foster carers, and have full backup and support for when/if anything goes wrong - and they certainly don't abuse or ostracise a foster carer if the group has placed a dog in their care that displays tendencies that weren't immediately obvious when that dog was "saved" from the pound. Reputable rescues would euthanaise a dog that kills or seriously injures a foster carer's pet or family member without provocation - not squirrel it off to a kennel situation and offer it up for rehoming with no disclosure about what it is capable of...

kizzyneo - you have my heartfelt sympathy for what has happened to you... at the very least you should have received some support or counselling from the group in question - not lies and innuendo being spread about you.

T.

Another rescue group making it harder for us ethical rescuers to keep up good appearances.

ETA: Sometimes it is hard to known if the previous owner is telling the truth regarding the history, but this highlights why it is so important for temperament assessments to be done AFTER the settling in period.

Yep its not just this dog form this rescue - it impacts on perception of rescue across the board.

I dont see that the person who had the dog i foster care is at fault and Im truly sorry for what happened to your dog .

foster carers are the most awesome people and unsung hero's who take animals in and have to suffer the impact that coauses on their lives and families .

I hope the rescue group has some good insurance .

What a horrific experience Kizzyneo and her little dog went through. It simply should not happen but sometimes we learn from these terrible things most.

The individuals who did not assess this dog properly, did not give good advice or monitor their foster carer and have now got this dog advertised for adooption are completely negligent.

They are taking dogs like this and putting them back out into society when they should be euthanased? It's madness. It should never be about rescuing a particular type of dog at all costs but that's what these particular individuals are about.

With the unwanted dog numbers in this country, dogs will die. Taking all dogs on simply because they are on death row is a mistake.

I wouldn't care if this was a Jack Russell, a Shepherd or a Staffy - as a responsible rescuer my response would be the same, the dog who would be gone for good.

How dodgy.

That a foster carer was given a dog that was not compatible with her own dogs. Not much higher price to pay than what happened and it didn't have to happen. If a foster dog needs to be kept seperate, then it shouldn't be in a foster home with other dogs. It's such a sad story.

Now, after finding out the hard way, this dog should not be rehomed at all. Disclosure is not good enough, because the dog is being sold as a pet and it isn't up to pet quality at all. Pet buyers cannot be expected to be able to have the knowledge to know if a dog can be rehabilitated and the rescue would be liable if the dog caused further harm. You can be sure of that if it gets to court.

Disclosure is about letting a pet buyer know all that is known about the dog. Rescue should be about making sure the pets they sell are safe. How can we possibly advise people to buy a rescue dog if there is a chance they will end up with a killer? Disgusting and so, so wrong.

The effort that many rescues go to to weed out bad dogs is immense. Anyone unprepared to do that should be shut down.