Should We Disclose A Foster Dogs Past When Being Rehomed?.

Isn't this what the OP said that 2 dogs died in your care not heaps..

The post was about disclosure of a serious nature, this should of been stated in the rescue add, what if this dog went to another house with a small dog or child .. The rescue agency and the owner/ carer should disclose everything re the dog that is of a serious or medical nature not to do so is a disgrace..

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So sad that we have lost both a little friend and a new foster carer through an irresponsible act by a rescue group.. :cry:

I dont know who the group is but I would be seeking compensation if I was the carer.

Wondering which group would just sign you up and hand you a dog.. All of our carers are house checked and given copies of foster carer agreement etc before even contemplating taking a dog.. The first dog a carer takes has usually been in care for a while so temp and needs are known.. Wouldnt expect a first time carer to quarantine & vet work a dog straight away...

I recently rehomed a small dog who had had a tough start.. he was kicked & beaten and bit the person who was hurting him.. He was at risk of being listed as a dangerous dog because he defended himself.. I told everyone that had interest in him what had happened and he now resides in a family home where he is adored.. They needed to know that if he found himself in a tough situation that he would fight back..

If nothing else I hope this makes people wake up to the fact that not ALL dogs are rehomeable and some are in the pound for a reason..

Whether you made a mistake, or bad decision to leave the smaller dog there or not is irrelevant..

The foster dog killed another animal and the new prospective owners have every right to know this. They have every right to all the information about temperament and behaviour that you, as the foster carer, know. Withholding this information could very well leave you open to legal recousrse if the dog kills again in its new home or at a dog park (because the new owners don't have all the information on the dog)...

To be honest, I would euth a dog that killed another (that is a personal thing though I guess)...

For the record, typing in capitals is the equivalent to yelling at people and it makes it easier to read if you put your posts in paragraphs and use punctuation (it does not have to be perfect, it just makes it easier to read)

I am sorry you lost your little dog but this alone should indicate how important it is that any new owners be fully informed of the type of dog they may be inheriting...

Edited for my early morning typing skills

Edited by Staffyluv

KiwiNeo - I hope you have contacted the council because the only way to stop this dog doing it again is to have it declared dangerous.

Yes, if you want to stop the rescue from rehoming this dog (especially without disclosure!!) this is the only way to go about it.

Guest lavendergirl

Whether you made a mistake, or bad decision to leave the smaller dog there or not is irrelevant..

The foster dog killed another animal and the new prospective owners have every right to know this. They have every right to all the information about temperament and behaviour that you, as the foster carer, know. Withholding this information could very well leave you open to legal recousrse if the dog kills again in its new home or at a dog park (because the new owners don't have all the information on the dog)...

To be honest, I would euth a dog that killed another (that is a personal thing though I guess)...

For the record, typing in capitals is the equivalent to yelling at people and it makes it easier to read if you put your posts in paragraphs and use punctuation (it does not have to be perfect, it just makes it easier to read)

I am sorry you lost your little dog but this alone should indicate how important it is that any new owners be fully informed of the type of dog they may be inheriting...

No, I believe the onus would be on the rescue organisation for full disclosure - not the foster carer. I feel sorry for the foster carer in this case - it sounds like she was wanting to protect her family from the horror of what had occurred.

Personally, much as I love my adopted dog I would not adopt again because of the problems I have been saddled with. Even some of the larger more prominent shelters could do better with their behavioural assessments. What annoys me now looking back is that they made me feel guilty about enquiring about returning the dog, even though I was totally unaware that the dog had separation anxiety. I was made to feel that the problem was now mine. Over a year later and a lot of money spent the problem is ongoing and likely to always be an issue. I absolutely regret not returning the dog after a few weeks on the basis that I did not ask for a problem dog!

No, I believe the onus would be on the rescue organisation for full disclosure - not the foster carer. I feel sorry for the foster carer in this case - it sounds like she was wanting to protect her family from the horror of what had occurred.

Personally, much as I love my adopted dog I would not adopt again because of the problems I have been saddled with. Even some of the larger more prominent shelters could do better with their behavioural assessments. What annoys me now looking back is that they made me feel guilty about enquiring about returning the dog, even though I was totally unaware that the dog had separation anxiety. I was made to feel that the problem was now mine. Over a year later and a lot of money spent the problem is ongoing and likely to always be an issue. I absolutely regret not returning the dog after a few weeks on the basis that I did not ask for a problem dog!

I feel very sorry for the foster carer as well but she is the one that said she didn't want the information released about the kill so the dog would have a chance of finding a new home - personally I feel this is negligent on the part of the foster carer, even though she asked that it be rehomed without other dogs..

AT THE TIME I ASK IF THIS COULD BE KEPT QUIET SO THE FOSTER DOG COULD HAVE A CHANCE OF BEING ASSEST & REHOMED BUT NOT WITH OTHER DOGS& IVE NEVER HEARD FROM THAT RESCUE GROUP AGAIN.

I am also angry with the rescue group for leaving this poor carer like they have... She has paid the ultimate price by losing one of her own dogs...

But yes, I agree with you that the rescue group could also be held responsible...

I feel very sorry for the foster carer as well but she is the one that said she didn't want the information released about the kill so the dog would have a chance of finding a new home - personally I feel this is negligent on the part of the foster carer, even though she asked that it be rehomed without other dogs..

AT THE TIME I ASK IF THIS COULD BE KEPT QUIET SO THE FOSTER DOG COULD HAVE A CHANCE OF BEING ASSEST & REHOMED BUT NOT WITH OTHER DOGS& IVE NEVER HEARD FROM THAT RESCUE GROUP AGAIN.

I am also angry with the rescue group for leaving this poor carer like they have... She has paid the ultimate price by losing one of her own dogs...

But yes, I agree with you that the rescue group could also be held responsible...

If cryptic came up against, threats and abusive messages, I wonder what kizzyneo would have been told by the rescue group, maybe he/she could tell us if the option of put to sleep was even discussed. From talking to a range of rescues, I am not sure the foster carer gets much of a say because at the end of the day the rescue group is responsible for the dog and the ownership.

Also maybe a misguided thought under an extremely emotional event could have prompted his/her decision as well, but to save a dog that has killed another is bizarre, was that dog not given a chance? Is it going to take another dog being injured or killed for this dog to be 'assessed' as dangerous?

Guest lavendergirl

If cryptic came up against, threats and abusive messages, I wonder what kizzyneo would have been told by the rescue group, maybe he/she could tell us if the option of put to sleep was even discussed. From talking to a range of rescues, I am not sure the foster carer gets much of a say because at the end of the day the rescue group is responsible for the dog and the ownership.

Also maybe a misguided thought under an extremely emotional event could have prompted his/her decision as well, but to save a dog that has killed another is bizarre, was that dog not given a chance? Is it going to take another dog being injured or killed for this dog to be 'assessed' as dangerous?

Yes that was my point. Regardless of what the foster carer wanted disclosed if the rescue group was aware that the dog had killed another dog and rehomed the dog anyway then they are the ones who are liable I would think.

In all honestly Malti, I would not be wasting my time assessing the dog - it killed another animal and I would euth it and make room in rescue for another deserving animal.

Perhaps not everyone's choice but it would be mine (dogs have been PTS for much less)..

This is a bad situation all round, there are no winners here but to rehome this dog without letting the future owners know is ethically wrong and could have legal implications for whoever (it does not matter who, but there could and should be recourse if this information is not imparted to the possible adopters)...

That was my whole point - the information that this dog killed another, should be made common knowledge to whoever is thinking about adopting it...

I SEEN A PLEE ON FB FROM A LARGE WELL KNOWN RESCUE GROUP & I MADE CONTACT WITH THEM IN REGARDS TO BEING A FOSTER CARER FOR THIS DOG AS HER DUE DATE HAD BEEN & GONE. I WAS EMAILED A ON LINE FORM TO FILL OUT & I DID & SHARED A FEW EMAILS FROM DIFFERENT PEOPLE WITH IN THIS RESCUE GROUP & WAS TOLD TO PICK HER UP THE NEXT MORNING. I DID & THEN TOOK HER TO MY VET AS SHE HAD A GROTH ON HER BACK.

NOW I MADE A CHOICE WHEN ASKED ON A FB PAGE WHAT HAPPEN TO MY DOG HOW DID HE DIE. I RESPONDED HE HAD EPILEPSY & IT WAS HIS TIME TO CROSS THE DOGGIE RAIN BOW. I ALLOWED PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THIS AS MY KIDS ARE ALSO ON FB & I DIDNOT WABT MY YOUNGEST KIDS TO BE EVEN MORE DEVERSTATED THEN THEY ALREADY WERE. I DO NOT & WILL NOT APOLOGISE FOR THAT.

So the rescue sent YOU directly to the pound to pick up a dog that's due date had been and gone? :mad

That is so wrong on so many levels and not how a reputable rescue works. The dog should of been taken into care by the rescue, vetted and thoroughly assessed before being placed into a foster home, especially one with another dog.

If this had of been done, chances are your little one would still be here today.

It is concerning that there are rescues out there calling for donations (and getting them) and then pulling dogs from pounds and chucking them into foster homes without assessing the dog.

Do not blame yourself for your little one's loss - you obviously didn't know any better when getting involved with this facebook rescue - but please please please - for the sake of someone else's little dog - report it and don't lie to cover the truth. To be honest I am surprised you would lie to begin with. Think of your little dog and what he went through - surely you don't want another dog to go through the same??? surely you don't want someone else's kids to be heartbroken like yours have been? :(

Because chances are somewhere down the track - this dog will encounter other dogs - and chances are the same thing could happen.

As for the rescue involved - :mad :mad :mad

The so called 'rescue group' that is involved in this should be ashamed of themselves. The tactics they use to try and 'recruit' foster carers is a joke. We all know who they are and we all know that they will use bullying and emotional blackmail regularly.

We have seen case after case of dogs somehow affiliated with this rescue group being PTS (as Am Staffs being sent to Victoria), dogs ending up back at the pound, dogs killing other dogs, dogs going missing, falling off trucks etc etc. If they just stopped for a second and looked at how to run a foster carer system with a shred of integrity none of these things would happen. You can always be sure that when you hear about some sort of mishap (to understate) it somehow ties back to THAT group. It is a case of the blind leading the blind, where they will advocate for the 'saving' of dogs and put them in worse situations.In fact they couldn't

care less about where the dogs go, as long as it is out of the pound.

I work my arse off in rescue and damned if I am going to let a bunch of know nothing hothead imbeciles ruin it for everyone. Its time they were shut down - before rescue as a whole goes down with them. In case it is not clear I am really sick to death of their irresponsibility and I suggest some sort of a boycott of their pages, advertising, sharing etc until they disappear!

The so called 'rescue group' that is involved in this should be ashamed of themselves. The tactics they use to try and 'recruit' foster carers is a joke. We all know who they are and we all know that they will use bullying and emotional blackmail regularly.

We have seen case after case of dogs somehow affiliated with this rescue group being PTS (as Am Staffs being sent to Victoria), dogs ending up back at the pound, dogs killing other dogs, dogs going missing, falling off trucks etc etc. If they just stopped for a second and looked at how to run a foster carer system with a shred of integrity none of these things would happen. You can always be sure that when you hear about some sort of mishap (to understate) it somehow ties back to THAT group. It is a case of the blind leading the blind, where they will advocate for the 'saving' of dogs and put them in worse situations.In fact they couldn't

care less about where the dogs go, as long as it is out of the pound.

I work my arse off in rescue and damned if I am going to let a bunch of know nothing hothead imbeciles ruin it for everyone. Its time they were shut down - before rescue as a whole goes down with them. In case it is not clear I am really sick to death of their irresponsibility and I suggest some sort of a boycott of their pages, advertising, sharing etc until they disappear!

Then pounds need to stop allowing them access

Edited by Bartok

I SEEN A PLEE ON FB FROM A LARGE WELL KNOWN RESCUE GROUP & I MADE CONTACT WITH THEM IN REGARDS TO BEING A FOSTER CARER FOR THIS DOG AS HER DUE DATE HAD BEEN & GONE. I WAS EMAILED A ON LINE FORM TO FILL OUT & I DID & SHARED A FEW EMAILS FROM DIFFERENT PEOPLE WITH IN THIS RESCUE GROUP & WAS TOLD TO PICK HER UP THE NEXT MORNING. I DID & THEN TOOK HER TO MY VET AS SHE HAD A GROTH ON HER BACK.

NOW I MADE A CHOICE WHEN ASKED ON A FB PAGE WHAT HAPPEN TO MY DOG HOW DID HE DIE. I RESPONDED HE HAD EPILEPSY & IT WAS HIS TIME TO CROSS THE DOGGIE RAIN BOW. I ALLOWED PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THIS AS MY KIDS ARE ALSO ON FB & I DIDNOT WABT MY YOUNGEST KIDS TO BE EVEN MORE DEVERSTATED THEN THEY ALREADY WERE. I DO NOT & WILL NOT APOLOGISE FOR THAT.

So the rescue sent YOU directly to the pound to pick up a dog that's due date had been and gone? :mad

That is so wrong on so many levels and not how a reputable rescue works. The dog should of been taken into care by the rescue, vetted and thoroughly assessed before being placed into a foster home, especially one with another dog.

If this had of been done, chances are your little one would still be here today.

It is concerning that there are rescues out there calling for donations (and getting them) and then pulling dogs from pounds and chucking them into foster homes without assessing the dog.

Do not blame yourself for your little one's loss - you obviously didn't know any better when getting involved with this facebook rescue - but please please please - for the sake of someone else's little dog - report it and don't lie to cover the truth. To be honest I am surprised you would lie to begin with. Think of your little dog and what he went through - surely you don't want another dog to go through the same??? surely you don't want someone else's kids to be heartbroken like yours have been? :(

Because chances are somewhere down the track - this dog will encounter other dogs - and chances are the same thing could happen.

As for the rescue involved - :mad :mad :mad

Hind sight is a wondderful thing, if i could go back & change things this would definetely be one of them. Again it was a poor choice on my behalf. Ispoke to the head of this organisation within half an hour of the incident & was still in shock so my decision making process & rational thinking were compromised.

To clarify when i said i wanted to keep it quiet i meant i didnt want it plastered all over facebook for my kids to see, I didnt mean for them to keep it from potential adopters.

I was unaware of my option of how to deal with this, i was unaware i could report this to council & the rescue group in question didnt explain my options to me at all. The rescue group are trying to claim that i adopted the dog & they just took it to help me out. Let me clareify the dog was never in my name & i was only ever a foster carer for this dog. I have since learnt what a bad reputation this rescue has & can tell you it is well deserved!

This whole experience has taught me a valuable lesson in the hardest possible way :-(

Kizzy, you can still report the dog and situation to the Council. Ring your local Council and tell them what happened and the situation with the group trying to rehome the dog, they will investigate and of they feel it is appropriate, will declare the dog dangerous. This will mean that the dog cannot be rehomed.

If you have a dog that has killed another you should go straight to the vet and have it put to sleep

Yes. And that's not an opinion....it's evidence. Best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour.

Kizzyneo, I'm sorry for the shocking experience you went thro' when the killing happened. I hope you'll be able to link up with another rescue that might advise and support you differently when you foster.

Edited by mita