Should We Disclose A Foster Dogs Past When Being Rehomed?.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hind sight is a wondderful thing, if i could go back & change things this would definetely be one of them. Again it was a poor choice on my behalf. Ispoke to the head of this organisation within half an hour of the incident & was still in shock so my decision making process & rational thinking were compromised.

To clarify when i said i wanted to keep it quiet i meant i didnt want it plastered all over facebook for my kids to see, I didnt mean for them to keep it from potential adopters.

I was unaware of my option of how to deal with this, i was unaware i could report this to council & the rescue group in question didnt explain my options to me at all. The rescue group are trying to claim that i adopted the dog & they just took it to help me out. Let me clareify the dog was never in my name & i was only ever a foster carer for this dog. I have since learnt what a bad reputation this rescue has & can tell you it is well deserved!

This whole experience has taught me a valuable lesson in the hardest possible way :-(

How horrible for you

Im happy to shout you a foster carers course if you want one.

If you have a dog that has killed another you should go straight to the vet and have it put to sleep

Yes. And that's not an opinion....it's evidence. Best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour.

Kizzyneo, I'm sorry for the shocking experience you went thro' when the killing happened. I hope you'll be able to link up with another rescue that might advise and support you differently when you foster.

Yes. Part of a proper assessment is to take down the history. If you are ignoring the history (or not documenting it) then you are not actually assessing the dog.

It makes me feel sick to know this dog is on the market, and a well-meaning adoptor is highly likley to end up with a huge problem.

Does anyone know if the group has authority to fundraise? Might be best if everyone reported them to facebook as a scam, just in case, because only scammers would intentionally sell dangerous dogs as pets.

In all honestly Malti, I would not be wasting my time assessing the dog - it killed another animal and I would euth it and make room in rescue for another deserving animal.

Perhaps not everyone's choice but it would be mine (dogs have been PTS for much less)..

This is a bad situation all round, there are no winners here but to rehome this dog without letting the future owners know is ethically wrong and could have legal implications for whoever (it does not matter who, but there could and should be recourse if this information is not imparted to the possible adopters)...

That was my whole point - the information that this dog killed another, should be made common knowledge to whoever is thinking about adopting it...

I agree totally Staffyluv, assessment of the dog is evident in the incident, it is scary to think this dog could be adopted out by now and the adoptee is none the wiser and who knows what damage this dog could do.

Hind sight is a wondderful thing, if i could go back & change things this would definetely be one of them. Again it was a poor choice on my behalf. Ispoke to the head of this organisation within half an hour of the incident & was still in shock so my decision making process & rational thinking were compromised.

To clarify when i said i wanted to keep it quiet i meant i didnt want it plastered all over facebook for my kids to see, I didnt mean for them to keep it from potential adopters.

I was unaware of my option of how to deal with this, i was unaware i could report this to council & the rescue group in question didnt explain my options to me at all. The rescue group are trying to claim that i adopted the dog & they just took it to help me out. Let me clareify the dog was never in my name & i was only ever a foster carer for this dog. I have since learnt what a bad reputation this rescue has & can tell you it is well deserved!

This whole experience has taught me a valuable lesson in the hardest possible way :-(

I know this won't make you feel any better, but you are not alone and you are not the first, if this is the 'rescue' I am thinking of. It is not too late to report the incident and follow it through, people who think what this group are doing is fine are often first time foster carers and do not understand how ethical rescues work.

How horrible for you

That is an amazing offer Steve, I hope kizzyneo takes the offer up when ready and finds out how good rescues work and the support foster carers are actually given by ethical experienced rescues.

It is this very reason that I will not adopt a dog...

Everything should be disclosed- sadly this is not the case for some.

I don't think everyone would withhold the information of a dogs past.

I guess it depends on their ethics

Yeah, I know, that's why I said some.

It is this very reason that I will not adopt a dog...

Everything should be disclosed- sadly this is not the case for some.

I wouldn't need to disclose simply because I would not taken on and rehome a dog that had serious issues such as these. If you adopt from a reputable rescuer you are likely to have a sound dog.

There need to be more honest people out there, and EVERYTHING good or bad needs to be disclosed IMO.

The dog has been removed from the facebook site . For now. The current foster carer of this dog has sent me another message stating that all the people on DOL are liars & that this dog is not capable of attacking another dog as it has trouble chewing up chicken necks. This foster carer also stated she was a dog trainer who has worked with rescue dogs all her life. Funny that she was asking a dog training organisation how to go about working with this troubled dog before it came into her care. She works with horses and as you know they are a totally different animal. Perhaps one of the horses has fallen on her head at some stage which could explain her poor judgment.. This carer is in total denial over this dog & has an emotional attachment to her. . What i am very curious to know is whose clause was used to release the dog. This organisation as far as i am aware does not hold a clause 16d .

You know this really upsets me.

When ever I try to say what I think of people who open their hearts and their families to try to help dogs by being a foster carer I always feel that no words are adequate to explain .Rescue groups have a duty to ensure the dogs they place with them are safe and suited to the experience level and knowledge level of the carer .One of the first responsibilities of everyone concerned is an honest appraisal and record of what the dog is capable of.

Good grief this dog has killed one of your foster carers dogs - cant you see the seriousness of that and how she feels.How this has impacted on her life and that of her children? What on earth is wrong with you? This isn't a competition to say one person is a better foster carer than another and to imply that the first foster carer is somehow at fault.

Im dead set serious when I ask if this group has insurance as they are begging to be sued .They show no duty of care for the person who offered to do voluntary work for them or their animals and their family and every one reading this has to worry whether the next animal they offer to take for rescue comes from someone who might over look these things.

Im not interested in whether it can eat chicken wings and nor will another person if this happens again. Im sure it made no difference to to the dog the that was killed or it family either.

You have no right to treat your foster carers in this manner and another foster carer should not be given the option - put the dog down. If the current foster carer is emotionally attached its the responsibility of the rescue group to ensure she steps back and takes another look at her role and the decision is taken from her.

Ethical rescue groups are working their hearts out to ensure the public and anyone who may volunteer to help them is a ease with no concern for something like this happening.

Its time to grow up and make the hard decision to ensure no one else is hurt in this way.

What a pack of cowboys - and someone's dog has paid the price for their unethical lack of procedure and responsibility.

The dog has killed another dog - if adopted into inexperienced hands it is a tragedy waiting to happen. Dog should be declared dangerous and IMO pts.

The other question is who are releasing dogs to this group if they don't have a clause 16D?

The dog has been removed from the facebook site . For now. The current foster carer of this dog has sent me another message stating that all the people on DOL are liars & that this dog is not capable of attacking another dog as it has trouble chewing up chicken necks. This foster carer also stated she was a dog trainer who has worked with rescue dogs all her life. Funny that she was asking a dog training organisation how to go about working with this troubled dog before it came into her care. She works with horses and as you know they are a totally different animal. Perhaps one of the horses has fallen on her head at some stage which could explain her poor judgment.. This carer is in total denial over this dog & has an emotional attachment to her. . What i am very curious to know is whose clause was used to release the dog. This organisation as far as i am aware does not hold a clause 16d .

If it is who I am thinking of yes they do hold a clause 16d and they do have a charity status

Regardless of that u dont need a 16d as a rescue group to get dogs from pounds

What was the dog that killed your baby?

Maree

CPR

How horrible for you

I'm having trouble with this group being called a 'rescue'. From what I've seen and heard they take dogs from the pound and hand them over to anyone who puts their hand up, doesn't seem to matter if they are a known dog hoarder, unethical rescue,or backyard breeder as long as the dog gets out of the pound. Undesexed, aggressive, sick, doesn't seem to matter, they're just handed over to anyone who says yes I want to rescue this dog! The few good news stories doesn't make the rest of it okay. The way this group operates is NOT rescue, it is NOT in the best interests of the dogs, it is NOT in the best interests of the community. It is irresponsible and an accident waiting to happen. Oh wait ...

To Kizzyneo, I'm so very, very sorry about what happened to your precious little dog. This wasn't something you could have known would happen and my heart just breaks for the grief you must be suffering. To be fair, it seems that no one was aware of the aggression in the foster dog, especially as it had been okay with your other dog for three days, but now that the group IS aware of the facts, you should never have been put in the position of having to take the blame, not to mention all the extra grief they've put you through while trying to cover their own arses. It's unspeakable! And for this group to then list this dog for rehoming as a FAMILY PET! ... I don't even have the words. I am just so sorry that this happened to you and that your own darling dog paid the price. I can't even imagine your pain, I actually tried to imagine this scenario happening to one of my dogs and I couldn't take it. Please know that you are not the bad guy in this, you did nothing wrong. I'm so, so sorry :cry::heart:

.. edited three weeks to three days.

Edited by yellowgirl

I really want to thank everyone for their support, understanding & kinds words & Steve WOW that is such a fantastic offer thank you so very much.

I will be on the phone to my council & i will do the right thing. Nobody should ever have to go through & see what i had to see & re homing this dog is not the right thing to do. Again i really do thank you all from the bottom of my heart

Everybody should not be surprised with what this group does, we have heard it all before, I was at the pound today when a call came in complaining about this dog being advertised as good with kids etc. The girl at the counter also said she had received a call the day before about another dog and the story goes on. Apparently the council's hands are tied because the gentleman in charge sees no wrong will allowing these types of dogs out, I questioned the fact that isn't the council liable for allowing dog aggressive dogs being released as I know Hawkesbury and Renbury do not allow dogs that they assess in that way.

And as we all know there are dogs that should not be rehomed because they are a danger.

I feel sorry for the many people that offer their homes and adopt from this group and receive an unsuitable dog which only gives Rescue a bad name. And especially for this lady to have lost her little dog.

Pound Rounds wish you would clean you act up as you are giving all rescue a bad name.

Edited by JRT RESCUE

I really want to thank everyone for their support, understanding & kinds words & Steve WOW that is such a fantastic offer thank you so very much.

I will be on the phone to my council & i will do the right thing. Nobody should ever have to go through & see what i had to see & re homing this dog is not the right thing to do. Again i really do thank you all from the bottom of my heart

http://www.mdba.net.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=23&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=748

Go here and do all you need to as if buying the course - but ignore the payment stuff as that puts you in the system and gives you access to the student forum etc.

The foster course offered by Steve is a great resource. It really makes you think about things you probably never would have before foster caring.

Another awesome resource is Shmoo's Foster Manual... http://www.fostermanual.com - worth it's weight in gold!

T.

Schmoo won the Best Canine Publication of the Year for this at the awards and it's recommended reading for the course