Should We Disclose A Foster Dogs Past When Being Rehomed?.

AMP you asked about their charity status, well on their FB it has just been stated that they have charity status but are not tax deductible status.

Well they can't have one without the other.

So by the looks of it all donations to them you can't receive a tax receipt which also means that they may not get their books audited but if they have CFN then they still need to be.

They can have one without the other.

They can have the ability to,fundraise as a charity and the donations are not tax deductible. (nt a deductible gift recipient)...

There are plenty of charities around who can fund raise but it's not a tax deduction... However they must make this very clear in their information to the public..

However it does sound like these are dodgy... You can make a complaint to the ATO, will sort them out quick smart.. The ATO love a good audit...

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First off...im very sorry to the dog owner and the little dog, no one should have to go through something like that

As to the attack. I am an investigator and the first thing I would ask is "who started the dog fight" Did any see the beginning of the fight"

That is very important. Do we know the bigger dog started it? I have investigated many incidents where a smaller dog started the fight and come off second best. That sort of evidence is important.

Yes, the rescue group should disclose all known history to any potential owners. As we know the general public tend to be on the naive side when it comes to animals.

could someone please PM me the name of this rescue group and I want to make sure they do not operate in my LGA

Yes they can have CFN which allows them to fund raise but that is not charity status. You have charity status when you are approved by the ATO and have Tax deductible and are able to issue tax receipts for all donations.

the dog was released by Blacktown pound and the guy in the main office of the council apparently said you either love them or hate them but I am sure if official letters were sent to him and someone higher then something could be done.

I think it is very wrong that they present themselves as a rescue group.

All they seem to do is copy & paste the info from Hawkesbury & Blacktown pounds.

They get quite nasty in their replies & then delete your comment so it is very hard to get posters to go to a proper rescue group.

Yes they can have CFN which allows them to fund raise but that is not charity status. You have charity status when you are approved by the ATO and have Tax deductible and are able to issue tax receipts for all donations.

the dog was released by Blacktown pound and the guy in the main office of the council apparently said you either love them or hate them but I am sure if official letters were sent to him and someone higher then something could be done.

I have set up a few with CFN only and a couple with both... The only difference is that with DGR the donations are tax deductible whereas the others are not tax deductible.. Most choose to set up as an unincorporated association..

I know you have to be approved by the ATO, hence my suggestion to report them to the ATO..

If you know anyone who is a member, they are entitled to a copy of the audited accounts, so you could find out if they are in fact auditing as would be required... If they are accepting Deductible gifts.

If you know anyone who is a member, they are entitled to a copy of the audited accounts, so you could find out if they are in fact auditing as would be required... If they are accepting Deductible gifts.

Would all their "foster carers" be deemed members?

AMP you asked about their charity status, well on their FB it has just been stated that they have charity status but are not tax deductible status.

So by the looks of it all donations to them you can't receive a tax receipt which also means that they may not get their books audited but if they have CFN then they still need to be.

They can have the ability to,fundraise as a charity and the donations are not tax deductible. (nt a deductible gift recipient)...

There are plenty of charities around who can fund raise but it's not a tax deduction... However they must make this very clear in their information to the public..

However it does sound like these are dodgy... You can make a complaint to the ATO, will sort them out quick smart.. The ATO love a good audit...

There of plenty of "rescue" groups that operate without ABN'S, 16d's and CFN's

So shouldnt all of them be under scrutiny as well as to where monies go?

Not saying any of them do anything wrong. They could be bloody brilliant at rescue

there is groups that have all of the above and I think are "cowboy's" but sadly

if they are breaking no laws what can you do?

Report to the DLG???????

Edited by Bartok

As a registered charity they have to have their books audited. But I have also asked this question why is there so much play on donations on their many pages when they quite often organised an adoption without knowing the dog and the dog comes straight from the pound, another risk.

It wasn't that long ago that they were asking for a donation to help a jack which I had already rescued and they had nothing to do with it, never know if they received any donation for that dog because it was never forcoming if there was.

I know what you are say Bartok but they have taken too many dogs out that should not be rehomed, I have myself rescued Jacks which some would have left behind but I also stated to the pound if they don't improve them I will do the right thing by them and put them to sleep, I won't ship them off to another group or a carer that has no idea what to do or how to handle the situation like they do.

I know that and I know you do right by the dogs, but I was just saying that we can't crucify them for fostering the dog, it is what happens after

the incident that's the issue. Like advertising it and not disclosing it's history.

It would depend on their constitution whether they have members or not. 17c was changed to a 16d

Good lord I had a brain fart. Serves me right for reading half asleep before breakfast :laugh:

As a registered charity they have to have their books audited. But I have also asked this question why is there so much play on donations on their many pages when they quite often organised an adoption without knowing the dog and the dog comes straight from the pound, another risk.

It wasn't that long ago that they were asking for a donation to help a jack which I had already rescued and they had nothing to do with it, never know if they received any donation for that dog because it was never forcoming if there was.

I know what you are say Bartok but they have taken too many dogs out that should not be rehomed, I have myself rescued Jacks which some would have left behind but I also stated to the pound if they don't improve them I will do the right thing by them and put them to sleep, I won't ship them off to another group or a carer that has no idea what to do or how to handle the situation like they do.

I know that and I know you do right by the dogs, but I was just saying that we can't crucify them for fostering the dog, it is what happens after

the incident that's the issue. Like advertising it and not disclosing it's history.

But if the rescue group had done a behavioural assessment prior to sending this dog into foster care, possibly the DA might have been picked up?

Personally when I temp test at HP I have a dog in the run next to it and when walk it past the other dog cages (and sometimes cats) and if the dog is highly reactive I would be weary about sending it straight into a foster home (especially an inexperienced one).

But if the rescue group had done a behavioural assessment prior to sending this dog into foster care, possibly the DA might have been picked up?

Personally when I temp test at HP I have a dog in the run next to it and when walk it past the other dog cages (and sometimes cats) and if the dog is highly reactive I would be weary about sending it straight into a foster home (especially an inexperienced one).

I understand that, but most ppl accessing aren't qualified they are normal everyday people that may be experienced in the rescue world or have been around dogs a long time, but still at the end of the day most are just people thinking they know what they are doing and for the most part it is generally ok

Im not saying what they do is right, I'm just saying I think there are alot of holes within rescue with lots of groups and even how they work with pounds.

This group is certainly one that needs to start listening to the experience of others and learning from them.

I believe they are passionate but that is about all

Edited by Bartok

They are manipulating people into donating, fostering, adopting and offering no support, guidance, let alone offering any credible assessment of the dog.

A couple of months ago I picked up dogs from interstate transport and by coincidence another rescuer was there picking up a dog which was coming to her from this group. She is a relatively inexperienced foster carer, although clearly very committed and well-meaning. She said that once the dog was organised to go to her, despite efforts at contact by phone and email, she'd heard nothing more from them. In fact she only knew the dog was coming on that run because the transport company had contacted her. To be fair, the dog had been vet worked before coming to her and it seemed to be a nice dog, so I hope things turned out well (I did give her our contact details if she needed assistance).

Even as a Victorian though, I've heard the same story from a couple of other people, that they offer no support to fosterers once the dog is in their care. I am particularly concerned that a number of dogs which are Stafford or other bull breed xbreeds are being sent into Victoria. It's nothing against the dogs, they are probably perfectly nice creatures, but the combination of Victorian laws, inexperienced carers and dogs which fit a particular "look" seems to be a reckless approach to a dog's well being.

The bigger picture, IMO, is that they are not a rescue group but everyone thinks they are & so donate to help out.

In response to someones query they say they are 'registered with the OLG as a licenced fundraiser, but the application is still underway for the tax exempt status. Not long now!'

Can someone tell me what that means please. I am trying to support various rescues on fb & then can tell/share with friends but I get asked a lot how to tell if they are genuine. Any hints there please?

When I asked why my question re a dog someone said was not good with others was removed, along with mine querying why that was not mentioned by them...I got this response

'we have so little time in between kill lists. Our primary aim is to get the dogs up on our page to give them the longest exposure possible. Once volunteers have had the time to visit, we add any notes to the profile of the dog. We are usually notified by the pound if a dog is DA or human aggressive as it is important information. Rest assured, no dog will be rehomed without obtaining as much information as possible so that the dog is placed in a suitable home and this does include imparting any knowledge on the dog showing signs of aggression/fence jumper etc. Please understand that this is not a forum for disscussion, just a platform to promote the dogs to give them the best possible chance at a happy life. However, Anyone who wants to ask indepth questions is invited to do so via email at...'

Edited by amp

THIS is very concerning...

The bigger picture, IMO, is that they are not a rescue group but everyone thinks they are & so donate to help out.

In response to someones query they say they are 'registered with the OLG as a licenced fundraiser, but the application is still underway for the tax exempt status. Not long now!'

Can someone tell me what that means please. I am trying to support various rescues on fb & then can tell/share with friends but I get asked a lot how to tell if they are genuine. Any hints there please?

Amp, I now donate ONLY to a rescue's actual vet, if they say that's not possible or push their bank account or paypal buttons I won't donate.

I also ask people who offer to help my own rescue to donate direct to my vet, that way they know for sure that they're helping the dogs and know exactly where their money is going. Hope that helps :)

As to the attack. I am an investigator and the first thing I would ask is "who started the dog fight" Did any see the beginning of the fight"

That is very important. Do we know the bigger dog started it? I have investigated many incidents where a smaller dog started the fight and come off second best. That sort of evidence is important.

From what I have read there was no witness to the actual incident but one dog is dead and the other is being hidden from view and possibly being adopted out or attempting to rehome her (what happens in that case?), and from the response people have had in attempting to contact this group, it is a case of threats, intimidation and accusations that the person that had the dog in care was at fault.

But surely if you take a dog out of a pound as 'rescue' and give it to a person who is suppose to be the 'foster carer' if they do not check that this dog's behaviour towards small dogs (hopefully in the foster carers 'application' they mentioned they had a smaller dog) that is leaving them wide open for legal recourse?

There of plenty of "rescue" groups that operate without ABN'S, 16d's and CFN's

So shouldnt all of them be under scrutiny as well as to where monies go?

Not saying any of them do anything wrong. They could be bloody brilliant at rescue

there is groups that have all of the above and I think are "cowboy's" but sadly

if they are breaking no laws what can you do?

Report to the DLG???????

From most smaller groups I have seen the dogs they get after out of the pound and updates on them, but from the group I am thinking of, you rarely see anything of the dog once it has left the pound.

They advertise they are not rescue but have a 16D, fundraise for vets, transport etc, plus they have now added a foster carer form, they have a small closed group of 'happy endings' which account for only a few dogs they pull.

People who have donated ask on their page how did a dog go, and no answer is ever given, it is the same old spiel of 'we can only focus on the next kill list'. It seems they may also be pulling dogs out at a price for people and sending them straight to their 'adoptive home' with no support if it does not work out. Most groups have an openness about them, this group does not, making people look for answers as they have none to give.

When I asked why my question re a dog someone said was not good with others was removed, along with mine querying why that was not mentioned by them...I got this response

'we have so little time in between kill lists. Our primary aim is to get the dogs up on our page to give them the longest exposure possible. Once volunteers have had the time to visit, we add any notes to the profile of the dog. We are usually notified by the pound if a dog is DA or human aggressive as it is important information. Rest assured, no dog will be rehomed without obtaining as much information as possible so that the dog is placed in a suitable home and this does include imparting any knowledge on the dog showing signs of aggression/fence jumper etc. Please understand that this is not a forum for disscussion, just a platform to promote the dogs to give them the best possible chance at a happy life. However, Anyone who wants to ask indepth questions is invited to do so via email at...'

Most smaller rescues will answer questions, have updates and a certain amount of disclosure of their pages, they inform people of how dogs are going and what is happening, they will be able to answer questions as to the dogs welfare.

They will not be trying to ask for money for a dog they are not taking into care (as in they will put a photo up of a dog they intend to take, with no threat of 'donate or we can't save lives'), because they will take on the dog anyway if rescue is needed.

Most groups that are reputable know their limits and do not over burden themselves (logic being, the dogs in their care needs to be a the utmost important, and not jeopardising their rescue by over extending themselves on dogs they take in).

A lot of what this group does is sealed after the dog is out of the pound, they have been seen to ask for donations for dogs when another rescue is taking the dog, basically use some common sense. People are just getting sucked into guilt trips and emotional blackmail thinking giving them money is the answer.

Edited by Malti

A week ago on FB there was a post that popped up on my newsfeed (I do not remember which page) for a senior Chihuahua girl from Hawkesbury. A particular person, well known to many within the group in question, then put up the standard pleas asking for donations for the dog and giving Paypal details.

I was sure the dog already had rescue & posted so. No response.

I was right. The dog did have rescue but not with them.

In fact.... the dog had already left the pound. Yet they were asking for donations towards her. :o

The request for donations was not from the group itself but from a particular person from within that group.

Apart from the dreadful loss of a littlies life here my huge issue with them is

They are not a rescue org...they have no dogs in their physical care, yet they come across that they are. Reading all the posts 99% people assume they are a rescue org.

They take an email foster/adopt application & I guess pass it on to a rescue group from there, or maybe they deal direct with the pound/shelter.

It just should not be allowed.

Well I shall just keep trying to post to be careful, go direct to pound holding the animal, guess I shall be blocked soon lol.

BTW I knit doggie coats, preferably for small dogs, so if any of you need any for your rescues/fosters just email me.

I think you are referring to the comment I made on their page (I am Merryn). All my comments get deleted, but I like to think that a few people at least had the chance to read them before they are gone. :)

The pound (afaik) don't test the dogs themselves, the only reason they would state if it is DA or HA is if it came in with that reason attached to it. This is why a reputable rescue knows it is so important to test the dog themselves!