Dogs Left To Run Wild Attack Toy Poodle While Walking

Chris the Rebel Wolf

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2012/04/04/320061_news.html

CALLS have been renewed for tougher penalties for dog owners who let dangerous dogs run wild after another savage attack on Castle Hill.

The attack left a North Ward family traumatised when their family pet was mauled by two "enormous" dogs on Sunday.

Philip Jenkins of Stanley St was walking his toy poodle Remy with eight-year-old daughter Emma on the goat track when their dog was attacked by two trained dogs.

"Their jaws and heads were massive and would have been about waist-high," he said.

"We came around a corner and there they were. They looked the same, like a great dane or a bull mastiff cross.

"They were fit, young adult dogs.

"The bigger thing was about three times the size of Remy, they were massive."

The father of two said he was devastated his daughter had witnessed such a trauma on her birthday.

"It was Emma's birthday and she loves animals. We would have been half way down back near a lot of forest," he said.

"The dogs began sniffing Remy, they were fixated on him and there was no one with them," he said.

"Then they just attacked so I released the leash and laid into them with with the steel end of the leash.

"I managed to get them off him, blood was going everywhere and Remy was biting me but I managed to get him and hold him."

Mr Jenkins said an onlooker saw the dogs get out of a white ute parked below and wants to ask the owners why the animals were allowed out of sight.

"It's just mind boggling to think someone would let two dogs of this type just go," he said.

"It's like throwing a rifle in a public place.

"I went to the police. A person is responsible for the dogs and they've threatened my dog and potentially my daughter."

The two-year-old toy poodle is recovering in James Cook University Vet Surgery after three surgical procedures.

"We' don't know if it will survive, he's got massive punctures in the back and side after losing a lot of blood," he said.

"We don't know how he'll come out of it."

Council executive manger of environmental health Gavin Hammond said dog owners should be aware they can't escape the consequences of their animal attacking another human or dog.

"Owners need to be aware they are responsible for everything their animal does," he said.

"We will have people prosecuted if we gather sufficient evidence but it's up to the magistrate to make the call in relation to penalties."

He said current laws were being reviewed with possibility of offences falling under a criminal code.

"This would place the onus on the dog's owners committing these offences," he said.

The law would target owners whose animal is not "under effective control" and inflicting death on another dog or human.

After launching the Dog Attack billboard campaign in Townsville three weeks ago, Mr Hammond said the message should have reached owners.

He said if anyone witnesses a dog attack to contact the council.

"If we don't have that information we can't go any further," he said.

Edited by Chris the Rebel Wolf

I would go out every day, without daughter or dogs,until I found who this person with these dogs is. Someone will know who has a white ute & 2 dogs like this.

I would also offer a reward for info. Despicable & stupid person needs finding & to pay.

attacked by two trained dogs

So the father knows these two dogs so why not just send the police/animal control around to the owners address. After all, too know that the dogs are trained means the father intimately knows them.

Philip Jenkins of Stanley St was walking his toy poodle Remy with eight-year-old daughter Emma on the goat track when their dog was attacked by two trained dogs.

I'm interested to know what they mean by 'trained'. Trained in what? Certainly not bitework. I'm guessing they meant hunting dogs. However it's a bit of an assumption given the dogs and owner haven't been identified yet...

Poor kid having to watch her little dog being attacked on her birthday.frown.gif