Docking Of Tails

wantsapuppy

It will be interesting to see if any dogs entered at the Sydney Royal have docked tails. Last year I saw Dobermans, Weis, & Rotties with docked tails.

I would think so. There are still plenty of dogs around who were docked prior to the ban.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a breeder of hunting dogs I will continue to dock until it is illegal here - that day will probably come sad to say.

It's not cruel to dock - I have had 6 litters docked - never had a problem with any of them. I also take off dewclaws.

It's a matter of choice for breeders. I would never knowingly do anything to harm one of my dogs. End of......

Brutus is 6, He is docked.. I like him that way and I'm not afraid to say it. Blind Sally Can see when he is wagging his tail (and he is clearly not in any pain or detriment because of it) I also had a younger girl for a few months who was "legally docked" due sustaining a crushed tail in the welping box.

What I cant stand is people who know nothing about me or my dogs actually going out of their way to cross the street to come over and abuse me for having docked dogs, I'd have a dobermann with a tail.. Its not what I prefer because I like tradition but I still love the breed and will of course deal with it, but I really think people should mind their own business... Unless your an RSPCA inspector and its your JOB to find out why and or how I have a dog with a docked tail then butt out, I don't mind curious people but straight out "where did you get that dog!?" from Joe public... no thanks.

I think policing, banning, concerning over tail docking and if it is or isn't cruel, banning etc etc is just a waste of resources that could have been better spent on real cruelty issues. But that's just my opinion.

We have two with tails and one docked.

The docked one was legally done when docking was "the norm" and she is 9 years old.

When out in public we occasionally have people asking us about tails. I find the public are divided on their opinions and preferences for docked and tailed, but have never come across anyone being accusatory or aggressive about it. I have noticed that the majority of men that talk to us prefer docked and women prefer tails.. go figure

Some people do not know the laws, ask some questions and we are happy to respond with information. We rarely offer our personal opinions, but prefer to stick to the facts and avoid any differences of opinion. When we have our dogs out in public, we are there as advocates of our breed and it is important to us to come across as approachable, friendly dog owners/enthusiasts with super friendly dogs. When and where possible we avoid being opinionated in this scenario.

For us, owning Rottweilers is more about our passion and love for this magnificent breed and less about tails. Personally I prefer docked, but my breed means too much to me to let my ownership be affected by them now having tails.

I never thought I would get used to the tails, but I am and it is now becoming more and more rare to see Rottweilers without tails, well bred ones anyway. You will still see the odd ones that are obviously "BY bred" with docked tails.

well said Dyzney :thumbsup: i totally agree with you, that it'smore about passion for the breed than the tail... unfortunately there are some out there that gave up breeding the day docking became banned. I could never quite see the logic there.

I don't have a preference, and I'm used to tails on Weims now... but it's still cute to see that little stump going at a million miles an hour and their whole body moving with it, when i see a docked weim :)

Still not used to seeing OES with tails.

Some Schipps have a nice tail depending if it curly.

Some folk when they see my two prefer the one without the tail.

Can't tell the difference in Corgis now they both have tails, couldn't before any way. :laugh: :laugh:

BB

I'm not sure about Rotties, I think the gene has been in the breed for decades but never really selected for.

You're right, the bobtail gene has been in the breed for a very long time - my parents experienced it in the 1970's.

I feel sorry for people with docked dogs (although I prefer the look). The amount of times I've had people come up to me when I'm with Sid and start banging on about cruelty :eek: And then they don't believe me when I say he was born that way.

Yeah we get the same with Lili who has a natural bob tail.

A dog is more than just a tail. They all have character. They all have beauty. They know how to have fun. They are all loyal and loving. A dog is so much more than a tail. I know, as I own ones with and without and I would not change each individual dog for anything :D

IMGP0202.jpg

IMGP0380.jpg

Picture504.jpg

Picture464.jpg

Picture491.jpg

IMGP6012.jpg

IMGP2172.jpg

I owned a Schipperke in the 1980's and believed her to be a tailess breed. I know some are supposedly born tailess but given the number I now see around WITH tails I'd be inclined to believe this is less than a handful at best.

I have to say I did a double take when I saw my first 'Skip' with a tail. I do like it, they look so much more balanced. :)

At least one doberman breeder that I know of was sending their bitches to WA to whelp & pup's tails docked. We had one come to my obedience club a few years ago & then I saw one at my vets. They had both been whelped in WA. Now that it's illegal Aust wide I've heard that some breeders are now sending their bitches to New Zealand.

It will be interesting to see if any dogs entered at the Sydney Royal have docked tails. Last year I saw Dobermans, Weis, & Rotties with docked tails.

There are heaps of Dobe breeders sending to NZ to whelp, just have a look at the puppy pages on dol.

I have no idea what you have to pay for these puppies, but it annoys me that you have to compete against these dogs and as far as I know the standard hasn't been amended to include the standards for an undocked tail. They don't allow dobes with cropped ears to compete in the ring so I don't get why the imported dogs with docked tails are allowed to.

Yes I have major sour grapes with this :laugh:

I find it quite rare now that a judge will discriminate against a tail - even the judges from countries with docking... but yes it can happen. The outline and movement of an OES is a huge illusion - when they have a tail they no longer look like the cobby, square breed that they should be, and it takes a judge who knows what they are looking for and puts their hands on the dogs to really determine correct proportions.

I have no issue with those who are importing from NZ with docked dogs etc - if they are willing to spend the money to do it, good luck to them...

Wether dogs have tails or no tails doesn't entirely bother me. If they have a tail, cool, if not, that's cool too. They're all dogs, to me it's their personality that counts the most...and of course their cute little faces :o

I own a ship with a tail who holds it beautifully, but I also love the ones born without tails. :)

Off my two irish terriers, Kate is docked and Duke is not. Interestingly, it is Duke who is having problems with displaced vertebrae in his tail - above the point at which his would have historically been docked.

No idea if there is a relationship, mind, but it is interesting all the same. And admittedly, he is also having the same problems a little higher in the back (sacral vertebrae) as well. Docked tail status has never been an important point to me, it is the dog itself that has my attention.

A dog is more than just a tail. They all have character. They all have beauty. They know how to have fun. They are all loyal and loving. A dog is so much more than a tail. I know, as I own ones with and without and I would not change each individual dog for anything :D

IMGP0202.jpg

IMGP0380.jpg

Picture504.jpg

Picture464.jpg

Picture491.jpg

IMGP6012.jpg

IMGP2172.jpg

I always love the great photos you post - such gorgeous dogs you have.