Recommendations - Lower Protein Dry Food

I have been advised that the protein level in the food that I am currently feeding is too high for one of my dogs. The Current Protein level is 25%. I need to try to get his protein level down to nearly half this 12%. The dog has had a major case of the itches for several weeks now and nothing else has worked so I sent away a sample of hair for analysis.

What brands available in Australia have lower protein levels.

TB

Guest lavendergirl

The canned foods are much lower in protein and you can get good quality products such as Holistic Select in cans. I have not seen any dry foods with protein levels much below 25%. Did your vet recommend a low protein diet?

Do you need low protein, or low purine levels?

My dally gets stones so has to be on a low purine diet, i feed advance chicken, and chicken wings and necks.

I have a list of all the high purine foods which he can't have.

A few more facts. The dog has been itching for several weeks. We found 1 flea on him and treated accordingly - no other signs of fleas. Vet said he had had a reaction to the flea and put him on a short dose of antibiotics and a cortisone injection. There has been no change to the itching.

We tried treating with 1/2 a Claryntine tablet - still no change.

The dog gets a fish oil capsule plus vitamin e capsule every second day.

He also gets 1/2 teaspoon of an Omega blend oil on his food.

Out of desperation I sent a hair sample down to a well known person in Victoria who does Hair Analysis on Dogs, horses and humans. I have heard of several people who have had a great success with his treatment. He treats holistically. When he analyzed the hair the following came back

Efficiency of My Dog Ideal Affected by

Immune System 80% 85%

Kidneys 60% 65% Lactic Acids 6% Ideal 5%

Liver 55% 65% Uric Acids 8% Ideal 4%

Digestive System 60% 65%

I have left out the results for Heart, Lung, Thyroid, Muscular System and Skeletal System which were all normal

The results indicated a Food Allergy to High Protein, Kidney Infection (Congestion), Liver Infection (very congested), Gut Infection (Congested) and a residual infection of 7% ( ideal 5%). The results indicated that the dogs system was stressed.

I have been prescribed some homeopathic tablets to assist with detoxing plus a tonic. It has been recommended that I reduce the level of proteins in the dogs diet which was 1/2 cup of high quality super premium food plus tablespoon of minced chicken frames.

It was suggested that a number of shelties have this weakness in liver function ( apparently he comes across it quite a bit) that cannot handle the high protein diets that we are feeding). He suggested that I needed to be targeting a protein level of 12% which is half of what my current dry food has ( it seems most dry food even the cheap supermarket brands have protein levels of between 22 to 26%).

I am to send another sample back in 2 weeks time to see if there has been an improvement in his results.

TB

Edited by TashaBailey

You could try feeding the Hills Prescription L/D which is for dogs with liver problems. It has really helped my dog who has bad liver issues. It is about 18% protein but it is supposed to be very easy to digest as it is soy proteins etc.

BTW my dog was very itchy until I put her on this diet.

Thanks for the suggestions - looking at all the options at the moment. Until I can work out where to go with this we have just halved his dry food and are filling out his meal with rice , pasta and vegies but given that he is still young I need to ensure that he still gets all the nutrients that a dog that has not yet reached maturity needs.

TB

there is a product called Sprinter Gold Whelp n Grow, if you want to make up a diet it is a total nutritional powder for growing dogs. How about a brown rice, lentil, fish, cheese, and vege mix? Very little animal protein but with the powder will be nutritionally complete.

Any chance your dog its getting bitten by Mozzies? I have a girl that scratches like mad for weeks on end when the mozzies are about. No anti Histamines or change in diet helps.

Even though spot on treatments say they keep mozzies away they don't so some aerogard or similar may be needed

I tried to look at the protein levels of the BARF patties in the local pet supplies places however none of them gave a breakdown of the protein levels so I was not comfortable going down that path with the lack of info on protein. These ones were the Dr B Barf patties.

Will look up the Big Dog ones and see if there is a local supplier

TB

It isn't just the protein level that is the issue in dogs with a liver condition it is how the liver processes the protein. Veggie protein is easier for the liver to process. Egg whites are ok too. I can't feed my girl any meat at all.

However I would suggest getting a blood test and a then a bile test from a vet before changing the diet so drastically.

I tried to look at the protein levels of the BARF patties in the local pet supplies places however none of them gave a breakdown of the protein levels so I was not comfortable going down that path with the lack of info on protein. These ones were the Dr B Barf patties.

Will look up the Big Dog ones and see if there is a local supplier

TB

if you look up the Dr barf they list the protein etc for each variety

not sure if that's any help http://barfaustralia.com/index.php

TB, you could try Vet's All Natural. This has 11.8% (Weight loss formula) 13.8% Adult/Senior dog and 15.9% Sensitive Skin.

check it out at www.vetsallnatural.com.au

A much different type of food than the commercial dry food which is full of all sorts of fillers etc.

Hope the itching is sorted soon

Sue