Late Show Entries

Tansy

So, there is a show I'd like to enter, but I missed the closing date. I've been sick, and the days just got away from me (not the show secs problem of course). I normally try and be good and get my entries in on time. Sometimes if I'm running a bit late I might only post the day before entries are due knowing that it may get there the next day (the day they are due), but may take two days, so getting there a day late. I figure that's not too bad, as I've heard horror stories of people trying to enter shows just a couple of days before they are on LOL.

I've been on a Club committee, and I know we used to get as many as half our entries after the closing date.

When do you think it is pushing your luck just a bit too much to get a late entry in?

I am one of those annoying people that tends to post their entries the day before they're due. If closing date is the middle of the week I'll take a punt that they'll take them without question up until the Friday.

No harm in emailing or phoning the secretary and just asking if entries are still open. Don't do a long spiel about being sick or the secretary might think you're trying to guilt them in to accepting it even though you're not - just say sorry I forgot, been a bit sick is it OK.

Personally I wouldn't bother if it's more than a week after the closing date even though I've seen messages on lists and boards saying entries are still open until xxx and this has been a couple of weeks after the closing date - and sometimes enter having seen the message :)

Really just depends. If the catalogue is open you are in with a chance but wont know unless you risk asking.

A friend got into next sundays show by ringing last thurs. I would hv been embarrased to ask but they happily took her entry!! I heard yesterday that at close date they had 100 entries and were happy with that but have had another 100+ since.

Fingers x'd!

Meea

As someone who is consistently answering phone calls re late entries - my very strong suggestion to you,

and everyone else, is put them in the mail!!!!

If it is possible, they will be accepted - and if not, they will be returned.

We often get people ringing about late entries, and then they don't post them for days!!

Best approach is to send them, preferably BEFORE closing date, but if they are late, be philosophical

about it if you get them back!!

I would think more often than not they will be OK.

I've done entries where a bunch is sent on time, no issue, but when I recently got a pup, the entry was closed a week or nearly a week and a half late, I sent them a letter inside explaining I already have dogs entered and I recently got the new pup and asked politely with a please if the pup could be included.

I waited 2 weeks and got nothing back, so I assumed entries was accepted and then few days before all shows, all of them have accepted my late entry without any issues!

I've been lucky enough to have this pup in the show, one of them was the day my pup got Baby in Group! The result would've been different if the entry was rejected! lol

So my advise is just send it in, maybe put an apology inside that the entry was late and hope for the best! lol

I think this depends a bit on the state you are in. In NSW the majority of shows are on OzEntries which makes late entries a cinch - if it's open on OzEntries, you just enter there without having to phone anyone.

I also agree with the person who said just send them if you have to snail mail them. If you do want to ring first, open with a short apology and keep the phone call polite and brief - don't tell a huge story, either it's at a point in the cataloguing where they can take it or it isn't. A long winded catalogue of disasters that prevented you from sending the entries usually tends to irritate rather than engender sympathy.

And then make sure that you put it in the post the very next day. I agree with brentland that it's a pain when people don't follow through.

Final comment, I usually leave entries open until I catalogue, but the last show we did had a limit on numbers for one of the judges so I closed a few days after the official closing date. This caught a few people by surprise, so if the show is really important to you, get those entries in on time :) Personally I'm not sure how clubs can leave it up to a week or less before a show, because if a cheque bounces it's a pain if the person has already shown the dog/s.

I close shows 2 weeks before the show. If you want your numbers back in the post then they need to be posted out in a reasonable time. I am in the country, no overnight/express envelopes here!

And please, don't ring and explain you have been sick for a week and that is why you haven't been able to get your entries in....think about it.....the schedule has been in the journal for two months!!!!

I hate answering that calls about late entries.....all you hear is alot of excuses.

If I look at a show and the entries have been closed a short amount of time I just send them with the view that if they are accepted I am doing a show if they are not I have the day off...no big deal.

Why don't many show secretaries change the message on there answering machine to save answering the same message over and over again??

The show XXX is now closed, we will not be accepting late entries.

The show XXX is still open, put them in the post today.

Yes people will still need to talk to the show sec for other issues, but that would save a heap of time.

I dont put an answering machine on as people then expect you to call them back which isnt always at a convenient time. That is why I always put my email address on the schedule so that questions can be emailed and it doesnt matter if I respond at 2am. The other problem with answering machines is that they are only as good as the message that is left, and many many people do not leave CLEAR messages

The other problem with answering machines is that they are only as good as the message that is left, and many many people do not leave CLEAR messages

I put messages on my mobile such as postal entries are closed no exceptions, Ozentries close on (insert date), please repeat your phone number twice, slowly; and it's best to text or email me. :D

Worked quite well. Maybe cause the message was getting a bit more terse each time :rofl:

Last year when I got new puppy, the show my other dog was entered had just closed. I rang the secretary explained about just getting the pup. She was just doing the catalogue but allowed me to express post the entry. Another show same weekend took my payment over the phone and hubby faxed the entry from work. In certain circumstances I am pretty sure most people are flexiable depending on the closing date. I wouldnt try to enter a show that had closed more then a week before tho, thats just pushing my luck a litle to much.

And now, 9 days before the show, entries are coming in and people are getting grumpy because they are not entered. Hey, if you send your entries BEFORE closing day you will be entered in the show. SIMPLE!!!!! I mean REALLY the schedule has been advertised for two months, get your act together!!!! Cranky? Damn right I am cranky, at you people for getting angry at me for something that is wholey and solely your own fault!

And now, 9 days before the show, entries are coming in and people are getting grumpy because they are not entered. Hey, if you send your entries BEFORE closing day you will be entered in the show. SIMPLE!!!!! I mean REALLY the schedule has been advertised for two months, get your act together!!!! Cranky? Damn right I am cranky, at you people for getting angry at me for something that is wholey and solely your own fault!

You are right Ceilidh - it IS simple! It is totally beyond me why entries cannot be sent on time? I think I can count on one hand the number of times that I have sent in a late entry and those have been times where I haven't even considered the show as a possibility until the last minute...but I'm only talking a few days late - not weeks after closing date.

Since the introduction of Ozentries, many shows are now accepting entries up to the very last moment and I don't believe this "helps" those who may already have a tendency to enter shows late.

Send them on time people and you have a worry in the world :)

I had one once call me two days before the show begging to get in. When I said that I've already said no to many before her she came out with well just enter me and I wont tell anyone!!!!! I agree with Ceilidh the schedule goes out months before and if you cant enter before the closing date stiff. If the shows closing date is on a friday I will accept entries until the next Wednesday but only if the postal date is before/on the closing date as I live in a rural area.

Edited by kezzzza

You are right Ceilidh - it IS simple! It is totally beyond me why entries cannot be sent on time? I think I can count on one hand the number of times that I have sent in a late entry and those have been times where I haven't even considered the show as a possibility until the last minute...but I'm only talking a few days late - not weeks after closing date.

Since the introduction of Ozentries, many shows are now accepting entries up to the very last moment and I don't believe this "helps" those who may already have a tendency to enter shows late.

Send them on time people and you have a worry in the world :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: