Must Have Been One Upset Dog (pb Attack Melb)

Tempus Fugit

More insight into same news report. So sad for the dog involved, wonder what upset him? Don't think public minds too much about him turning on his owner. At least there seems to be footage taken:

RAMPAGING pitbull terrier was twice shot by police before it ran away after attacking its owner at a Clayton pub.

..The canine chaos unfolded in front of stunned patrons, who watched the 24-year-old man run into the Monash Hotel, fleeing his pet after it turned on him in the carpark.

The vicious dog chased him into the Dandenong Rd hotel and continued its terrifying attack on him, causing 30 puncture wounds to his legs, back and arms.

Police said fearful patrons jumped up on the bar after the unregistered dog tried to bite them too.

The dog stormed into the 24-hour pokies venue about 7.30am on Saturday.

A police spokeswoman said when officers arrived, the pitbull was also trying to attack staff.

She said police used capsicum spray on the dog but it had no effect.

"The dog continued toward police in a threatening manner," she said.

"A police member then fired two rounds towards the dog, striking it before it ran from police into an industrial area."

RSPCA officers caught the dog and treated it for wounds to its legs, before it was put down yesterday.

The owner, from Clayton, was taken to Dandenong Hospital.

Monash Mayor Stefanie Perri said the attack served as a warning to all owners of dangerous dogs.

"It is an absolutely horrific incident and one that will be dealt with seriously and appropriately," Cr Perri said.

The council and police are investigating and the owner could face charges.

Police are expected to review CCTV footage of the attack.

The State Government waged a crackdown on dangerous dogs after four-year-old Ayen Chol was killed by a neighbour's pitbull terrier cross last year.

Edited by gwp4me

Wow I really wonder what occurred prior to the attack. If the owner had 30 bite wounds then his dog was trying to kill him I would guess. Would be interested to know how the owner treated his dog and whether the dog was mistreated just before it attacked its owner.

why is it always,

what did someone do

what occurred prior

how it was treated

some dogs are just like some people BAD or SICK

I had a dog of mine attack me and bite me the 3rd time she was euthanised and my dogs are treated fairly never get belted sleep in beds etc etc

She had previously been dehydrated and the vet said her brain mis functioned, hence the irrational behaviour

, I gave her a couple of chances but I would never do it again, 1st bite and would be gone.

Edited by KOE

There is nothing at all wrong with asking WHY, unless we know what triggers some incidents we will not know how they can be avoided. There is always a reason WHY, even if it is illness. All serious dog incidents should be investigated.

why is it always,

what did someone do

what occurred prior

how it was treated

I had a dog of mine attack me and bite me the 3rd time she was euthanised and my dogs are treated fairly never get belted sleep in beds etc etc

She had previously been dehydrated and the vet said her brain mis functioned, hence the irrational behaviour

, I gave her a couple of chances but I would never do it again, 1st bite and would be gone.

Its the severity of it, 30 bites? That's not just a dog getting riled and snapping, that's a dog trying to kill someone. I undrstand what you are saying but did your dog bite you 30 times? Something was very wrong with that dog, or something must sve happened to set him off.

Although this does sound like a serious incident, 30 puncture wounds does not equal 30 bites.

Most dogs have 42 teeth and one full grip bite alone could easily result in many separate punctures. I agree that we should be asking the question 'why' and not just automatically label this dog, or any other involved in such an incident as BAD or SICK.

Edited by Echo

Although this does sound like a serious incident, 30 puncture wounds does not equal 30 bites.<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">Most dogs have 42 teeth and one full grip bite alone could easily result in many separate punctures. I agree that we should be asking the question 'why' and not just automatically label this dog, or any other involved in such an incident as BAD or SICK.

:thumbsup:

Although this does sound like a serious incident, 30 puncture wounds does not equal 30 bites.<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">Most dogs have 42 teeth and one full grip bite alone could easily result in many separate punctures. I agree that we should be asking the question 'why' and not just automatically label this dog, or any other involved in such an incident as BAD or SICK.

:thumbsup:

There was more than one bite involved if he had 30 puncture wounds several body parts.

The vicious dog chased him into the Dandenong Rd hotel and continued its terrifying attack on him, causing 30 puncture wounds to his legs, back and arms.

eta: I think he must have pissed his dog off big time...

Edited by Andisa

why is it always,

what did someone do

what occurred prior

how it was treated

We ask 'why' because that is how we help to prevent dogs from becoming aggressive in the first place.

Now the Herald Sun is inferring wild dogs in Gippsland have rabies:

Rabid dogs chasing farmers off their land

• Ed Gannon
  • April 05, 2012 12:00AM

I feel sorry for you guys in Victoria who have to cop this sort of hysteria. (here)

The thumbnail image on Weekly Times online was the pitbull teeth bared photo usually found on front page of Herald Sun for the past decade to illustrate dog attack/pitbull stories!

Now the Herald Sun is inferring wild dogs in Gippsland have rabies:

Rabid dogs chasing farmers off their land

• Ed Gannon
  • April 05, 2012 12:00AM

I feel sorry for you guys in Victoria who have to cop this sort of hysteria. (here)

I read it as farmers are having to endure 'frenzied' wild dogs attacks on their livestock. Not that they have rabies!

The article is about not being allowed to bait wild dogs in crown land. Not sure how it relates to a dog attacking it's owner?

I raised the Herald - Sun item about the 'rabid' dogs in order to infer that the the Herald - Sun piece on the pitbull attack may have been sensationalised and that both items may contain untruths and are an example of poor journalism.

I don't think headlines alleging dogs are rabid is a trivial matter. The threat of rabies getting into Australia is very real. Papua-New Guinea is officially rabies endemic, two dogs in Queensland were not so long ago destroyed because of possible exposure to the rabies-like Hendra virus (apparently there is a real risk that the virus can jump to dogs) and then in Victoria there is a risk of a bio-security breach at the Geelong Animal Health Laboratory.

For more information read the relevant AUSVETPLAN

• 2 weeks later...

when there is that type of attack i would suspect some physiological component such as brain tumour, seizure or thyroid problem. Not that it makes the incident any less terrible for all concerned including the dog.

many years ago i had a dog that would just change in less than the blink of an eye. He was the only dog i have ever had that i knew deep in my soul would kill me ( i was really really really stupid then) . I think now that he had a thyroid or adrenal problem of some sort.

H

I'm beginning to wonder if these "sudden and unprovoked attacks" we hear of involving the APT has some connection to bad breeding of this "former" fighting dog? Just a thought. :confused:

I mean with the breed having been driven underground, so to speak in recent years there is probably alot of dubious and ill advised dogs with very questionable temperaments being bred instead of openly breeding well adjusted animals in the hands of thoughtful and experienced breeders.

Hi, I am new to the forum & I felt the need to reply to this topic.From my own point of view i love pitbulls. Had one a few yrs back & he was the most gentle placid dog, never hurt a fly . My daughter did fall over him once & broke her arm as she didnt see him while running through the house and tripped. Kids fault. Dog sat up & checked my daughter & was very concerned about her. He died a very placid old dog of old age.

I have a new dog coming & she is a bull terrier , my first love. I will have one of those around my kids any day of the week over alot of other small everyday breeds.

Anyway getting off track. My point is i had a border collie, magnificant dog, fantastic with my oldest daughter. He had a accident & came off a bike & head first into a strainer post. That dog was never the same again. He growled at my son one day who wasnt even walking through the screen door. My point was he would never had hurt a child yet he had some brain damage that changed this unknown to us & he ended up biting another child. He was PTS . Dogs sometimes have things happen to them that they just cant control.

Why do you think a dog suddenly attacks after never showing agression in its life. Stop playing the breed blame game. Not all dogs of this breed are bad nor ever would be. If you get a young man with a tough dog what do you think they purpose was to begin with??? not always because he loves the breed. Dogs are like children they are a product of their parenting.

Im not saying all dogs either or any breed. If you come into my yard my mini schnauzer will be the one to watch before the Bully. She is very home proud & will let you know. :) I dont like to read storys from the paper or comments on dogs that very little know about usually. They are not all bad & there can be circumstances that you dont know about when only half a story is shown to you.

Rant over. :)

Hi, I am new to the forum & I felt the need to reply to this topic.From my own point of view i love pitbulls. Had one a few yrs back & he was the most gentle placid dog, never hurt a fly . My daughter did fall over him once & broke her arm as she didnt see him while running through the house and tripped. Kids fault. Dog sat up & checked my daughter & was very concerned about her. He died a very placid old dog of old age.

I have a new dog coming & she is a bull terrier , my first love. I will have one of those around my kids any day of the week over alot of other small everyday breeds.

Anyway getting off track. My point is i had a border collie, magnificant dog, fantastic with my oldest daughter. He had a accident & came off a bike & head first into a strainer post. That dog was never the same again. He growled at my son one day who wasnt even walking through the screen door. My point was he would never had hurt a child yet he had some brain damage that changed this unknown to us & he ended up biting another child. He was PTS . Dogs sometimes have things happen to them that they just cant control.

Why do you think a dog suddenly attacks after never showing agression in its life. Stop playing the breed blame game. Not all dogs of this breed are bad nor ever would be. If you get a young man with a tough dog what do you think they purpose was to begin with??? not always because he loves the breed. Dogs are like children they are a product of their parenting.

Im not saying all dogs either or any breed. If you come into my yard my mini schnauzer will be the one to watch before the Bully. She is very home proud & will let you know. :) I dont like to read storys from the paper or comments on dogs that very little know about usually. They are not all bad & there can be circumstances that you dont know about when only half a story is shown to you.

Rant over. :)

Firstly, welcome to the forum, it's great to have another Bully lover here. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, the media & RSPCA , has caused this anti Bull breed hysteria & it makes me so angry. :mad

It is the deed not the breed, but unfortunately even on a dog lovers forum, there are people who are brainwashed by the media hysteria & blame the breed, without questioning the training, or the circumstances which caused the attacks.

I won't go into my dogs breed, or the reasons I love Bull breeds so much, when you get time, just have a look at some of my previous posts.

Oh dear that's one hell of a brain snap. :( Would they investigate with a necropsy or just file it under 'Of course, it's a pit bull'?

Interesting (or maybe just sadder) that there was onlookers but the dog singled out the owner.

Not the kind of story the dogs of that state need right now.