Calendula Tea

I have seen a number of posts where people have used Calendula tea for itchy dogs. I purchased some today but cannot seem to find what ration of water to the leaves I need to use to make the correct strength solution.

Thanks in advance

TB

Hi TB. The general rule of thumb is about 2 tablespoons to a cup of water. I confess that I brew mine with that in mind as the minimum, but I make it stronger at times when I'm battling the worst of whatever it is that I'm battling.

Make sure you get organic stuff with no colouring etc added. Some one person here tried it and it tainted her dog's white hair yellow. Sure - not exactly the end of the world if the stuff helps, but I've not ever had that problem with the brand I purchase and the same person I speak of didn't have the problem when I sent her up some of mine.

Good luck, and report back with your findings.

Remember that Calendula Tea is not a cure - it works to help soothe the itchies that will keep developing whilst you're working on finding out the cause and help to stop them becoming secondary infections.

Edited by Erny

Cheers, LR. Report back to let us know how you get on. I know there are a few who have reported it did not help, but so far that seems to be in the minority. I continue to be interested in its effects, successful or otherwise.

But remember - it is not designed to be a cure .... just something to help while you're sorting the "cause" out.

Yep I can vouch for calendula tea - it would give my girl westie good relief from her itchies (and give me a decent nights sleep!) but as Erny says it isn't a cure.

My girl has just completed a three month course of Atopica - a cyclosporin which has worked brilliantly - but is extremely expensive (for an 8.5 kg westie its $152/month on the full dose :eek:. Luckily for me it was part of a clinical trial for atopic dermatitis so the first three months of Atopica was paid for by Pfizer). According to the vet dermatologist its very expensive to manufacture as there is no synthetic equivalent - synthetics bring down the cost of drugs. Shes just this week finished her trial and gone back to one capsule every second day which makes the cost just manageable.

Possibly worth considering if you're getting to the point of desperation that I was with an extremely itchy dog who was waking me 2-3 times a night with her scratching - her scratching lesions were becoming really bad and her skin looked like it was always on the verge of breaking down. Not to mention just how unhappy she was. I had to do something different - both for her and for me. So I decided to see if she was eligible for the trial and luckily for me she was and was allocated the Atopica control which she can continue with now the trials over - and she's soooo much happier and better. Now I'm just hoping that the capsule every second day holds her. :)

Edited by westiemum

HERE is the link to the store that sells it on-line. The person I spoke with there was lovely, and particularly delighted to hear that Calendula was delivering the success that it was in assisting with doggy skin issues, amongst other things.

But I deal with Go-Vita Health Food Store in Blackburne Square, Berwick (Victoria). and find them very helpful and great to deal with. But they don't have a web-site nor do they sell on-line ..... they don't need to, I guess, as they are always so busy as it is. 03 9707 1148 is the phone number, if anyone reading needs it.

Edited by Erny

do you bath them in it?? or just spray it on the infected area

Either or both. Depends on how much area needs to be covered and/or how bad it is. I like to give bad skin issues and/or very itchy dogs a good soaking to make sure every crevice is wetted up with the CT. At least for the first go.

They can drink it if they want to :).

PS : I recently developed an ulcer on my tongue. Went to GP and was prescribed Kenalog. It improved it but didn't fix it. Ulcer flaired, expanded and became painful. I gargled and also drank Calendula Tea. Even after the first night's treatment of the CT, the ulcer had MUCH improved. I've continued with it for 4 nights, saw the GP today and she's proclaimed the ulcer as cured.

:D

do you bath them in it?? or just spray it on the infected area

Either or both. Depends on how much area needs to be covered and/or how bad it is. I like to give bad skin issues and/or very itchy dogs a good soaking to make sure every crevice is wetted up with the CT. At least for the first go.

They can drink it if they want to :).

PS : I recently developed an ulcer on my tongue. Went to GP and was prescribed Kenalog. It improved it but didn't fix it. Ulcer flaired, expanded and became painful. I gargled and also drank Calendula Tea. Even after the first night's treatment of the CT, the ulcer had MUCH improved. I've continued with it for 4 nights, saw the GP today and she's proclaimed the ulcer as cured.

:D

I find a sponge very helpful, then a little bit goes a long way especially if you can catch the drips in a bath.

Excellent!!!, thank you guys so so soooooo much, I got a cloth last night soaked it in the tea which had been brewing for 20 minutes then gently sponged him with it... this morning all the infection has healed up wonderfully, and there are no lumps!!! absolute god sent.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

Excellent!!!, thank you guys so so soooooo much, I got a cloth last night soaked it in the tea which had been brewing for 20 minutes then gently sponged him with it... this morning all the infection has healed up wonderfully, and there are no lumps!!! absolute god sent.

:thumbsup: Great news

Reminds self to buy some CT for all Human and Animal ailments.

Apart from the fact that many have a good amount of success with the use of the CT, this (highlighted) is the part I love about it. If use of the CT doesn't show improvement within the first 24-48 hours, I tend to find it's not quite what the dog needs.* Which means you can try it but not waste a lot of money (because it is cheap) and more importantly, not waste a lot of time and energy before you can realise it isn't going to do the job.

* Not to suggest you should ditch the idea of its use completely.

I'm so glad you found the use of the CT so successful, TCM. I bet your dog is too :D. :thumbsup: