Puppy Training - General Obedience

Hi guys,

I've just bought home my wonderful Great Dane fur child, and am looking for a few tips on effective training. At the moment, I've got the basic knowledge, and put it into play on the weekend, but am looking for people who have successfully trained a Great Dane or other stubborn breed.

Any info is greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks! :thumbsup:

congratulations on your new arrival :o

No real advice I can give you except I have just bought a book called 'The Focussed Puppy' A Training System for raising a great Companion & Performance Dog by Deborah Jones and Judy Keller. It is brilliant so far, it goes through basis step by step training like what to teach when kind of thing. I bought it online from a site called Agility Click they are based in QLD.

Theres some great threads in the dog obedience forums, and get on the Great Danes sub forums, Im sure there are a heap of other Dane owners who can give you some tips.

Have fun with your 'not so little' baby :)

Edited by MishB

Tip number 1 - forget the breed of dog you have and don't make your excuse be his breed :)

I have a siberian husky, widely considered to be one of the most difficult breeds to train. He's very easy to train because I never think he can't do something.

If you have an obedience club near you, join it :) It's usually the cheapest form of obedience training. Where in QLD are you?

I will add to the previous post, already labeling your puppy a stubborn breed will handicap your training.Find a good motivational training group to help you train your puppy.biggrin.gif

Honey a Great Dane writes a fabulous blog with some excellent training YouTube videos etc that her human, Hsin-Yi puts on Honey's website. Honey's website is jammed packed full of great information from training to diet. Honey is a fabulous example of what a Great Dane can achieve in spite of the labels that are put on the breed re trainability.