Bitey Face Game

Lisey

I always enjoy watching my two play fight and pretend bite each others faces, sometimes legs, etc. They never seem to hurt each other, I have very rarely heard either of them yelp. They certainly look scary with all the teeth but the worst they do is sometimes clash their teeth together. How do they know that each of them are mucking around and it's all in fun? Does everyones dogs do this and what does it mean? Just curious really :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a normal form of play, usually when the dogs are too tired to do anything else. As long as there is equal participation, and as long as it doesn't escalate, I think it's fine. Actually, one of the gentler kinds of play fighting.

TysonandBencomparedentalwork-1.jpg

Edited by Aussienot

Guest Willow

There are a whole heap of other signals they send out, before and during play, hundreds of tiny signals that you wouldn't even notice unless you were either a dog, or really watching and knew what to look for, that signal it's all in fun. Somesignals are obvious, others are very subtle

Bitey face is a staple at our house :laugh:

I'll often walk out and find Lili on top of Mo looking as though she's about to rip his throat out....but no....just more bitey face :laugh:

Also in our house if one dog is lying down and the other walks past, they get bitey faced and it starts off a game, they love it, never had any fights, they just love torturing each other!

This type of play happens lots between my 2 BC'S.

Lots of face bites & snapping. Teeth clashing together & stuff. All seems quite harmless but sounds & looks serious. Most of the time their teeth bared but air bites mostly. Usually happens as a prelude to a huge wrestle. Total fun till both are exhausted or after a wrestle when too tired to

stand up they will lie down facing each other & face snap each other. So beautiful to watch.

I love watching bitey face, especially when my dogs teach fosters how to play by doing it in front of them until the foster is so sooky and submissive it's allowed to join in. Also watching my 38 kg LabX playing with the ancient 7kg SWF! Stevie eats his whole head, and the little one has to be on our bed to reach her face!

Haha Dyz, great photos! I dont have a good enough camera to capture it but plenty of stacks on bitey face between my three. It fascinates me how what looks and sounds like total mayhem to me is actually very controlled. They never hurt each other despite the teeth flashing and body parts tangling, and on the odd occasion where there is a squeak saying someone's gone to far they instantly stop.

Watching my dogs, who I know well and can read play/minor disagreement vs fighting/aggression has been invaluable for me as a fairly new dog owner in judging interactions with other dogs. Until I had more than one of my own I didn't truly understand how much noise and fuss dogs can make without having any intention of causing harm.

I love watching them! They seem to be into a bit of a rountine now, just before bed time every night they will have a play! It's funny, they will actually have a hold of each others cheek or jaw but only for about 3 seconds and then they let go and the other ones grabs a hold for a bit. Never any marks left, sometimes a bit of salvia though!

Is it generally between dogs that know each other?

Oh yes, almost forgot about all the spealing, growling & vocals that go along with the face bitey game. Very noisey almost like a rowdy conversation, then they will stop dead & avoid eye contact with eachother. Then hop straight back into it again. Gotta love it ! Who needs T.V. LOL.

Great pics too fellow dolers

Edited by BC Crazy

Orbit and I play bitey face/leg all the time. He's very gentle and never bites, it seems more like a game of tag but with a mouth instead of hands, than actually biting :laugh:

Lol! We play bitey face here too! Maybe we're the crazy ones given the dogs are 60kg plus!

My girls joined the bitey face brigade long ago :laugh:

533402_10150667600558036_585378035_9772417_202759272_n.jpg

:rofl: Love the eye rolls.

Our 2 have just started doing this also, is cool to see.........though the 7 mth old Lab is going to be swallowing the 3yr old ESS's head soon :laugh: