Boarding Kennel V's In Home Care

Colliewood

73 members have voted

1. 1. Hi, doing a small poll for a Tafe assignment, asking your preferences on Boarding Kennels v's in home care for your pets when you holiday. I am talking about paid care not the neighbours feeding them. Thank you in advance.

Hi,

Doing a small poll for a Tafe assignment, asking your preferences on Boarding Kennels v's in home care for your pets when you holiday.

I am talking about paid care not the neighbours feeding them.

Thank you in advance.

Sorry if I buggered this up. Not done one before :-)

I recently had a bad experience with a boarding kennel so I doubt I'll be using them again. I've never used the Home option but I'll be looking into it the next time I travel.

I am assuming you mean someone coming to visit and feed/walk the pets? I need a third option - paid babysitters who move into my home while I am away.

Thanks Colliehound, You are correct in assuming that. And yes I probably should have added the third option but that is something I cannot offer in my new business. (as much as I would love to get away from kids sometimes :-) , oh and the husband.

I have been lucky enough to find wonderful boarding facilities.

Whilst I would prefer for my dog and cat to live in their own home, I havent managed to successfully find house sitters that work out for me.

I would not consider just having someone drop by to feed and walk my dog and cat and them otherwise be left for the rest of the day alone, unless it was an emergency and for only the cat and for only a day or so. My dog needs more than that. Which is where the boarding place comes in. Even with a housesitter they are often employed and away for the greater part of the day and the dog would be alone, whereas in boarding, where I go he has companionship, human and other dogs and is not confined to a cage.

On the personal level, with boarding, it means I dont have to do a mad house clean before I leave to go away!!!!Hate housework!!!

I have always paid my housesitters, by the way, Havent had the confidence to use the freebie ones.

Boarding kennels (the right ones).

My dogs need exercise, whether that be on leash walks or free running in a large area (that my yard cannot provide). I wouldn't let anyone else take them to an off leash area, and I don't even like the thought of them being walked on leash by someone as they can take a bit of management.

One quick walk a day is not enough for my young dog, she is very active. Being confined to our backyard for 23.5 hours a day doesn't work for her at all.

I do not want to leave them outside at night as they will most likely bark and disturb the neighbours (especially without much daytime stimulation).

In boarding kennels I am assured that they are secure. They get supervision, and let out into a large exercise area 2x day. There is always something going on and my younger dog in particular enjoys watching the happenings of the day :)

If we are only going away for a few days, mine stay with friends (generally separately) where their individual needs will be met.

I voted for boarding kennels, for the same reasons others have mentioned. Luckily, I have found a fantastic one, so my dog and I both get a holiday, he loves going there and I can relax knowing he's safe and well looked after.

I had to vote for both as I use both.

The dogs tend to go into boarding if we are both away.

The cats and other animals get looked after via paid home care (a truly fantastic lady)

In an emergency or short term I feel comfortable leaving the dogs for the lady who does our home care as well, but for longer stays I tend to send them somewhere else as I have found a routine change in a new place seems to be easier on them than a routine change at home (as they would mostly be confined to the runs full time at home just for the practicality of a stranger managing it, and they seem to take better to longer term confinement if on someone elses property rather than their own - as they are relaxing 'off territory' and not worried that they are not patrolling the property - this is just the way my dogs work though).

The cats and other animals (multiple pens of chickens and other livestock etc) have minimal to no changes to their routine when using home care so that works well, though I tend to leave free ranging flocks confined to their secure pens and the cats stay inside full time rather than being allowed outside during the day.

Of those two options, I selected boarding kennell.

I would prefer boarding to someone coming in and feeding/walking etc (and so would Tintin. Lola probably couldn't care less!). Our preference, though, is to have someone move into our house while we are away. We have just done this again with new house sitters and it worked really well.

My cats I prefer to leave at home in their own familar environment

Where I live now I can leave my dogs as my housemate looks after them. Before I used boarding kennels - It's a bit embarrassing when your dog pulls so hard that you have to let go of the lead - she couldn't get into them fast enough and went straight out the back, put herself in one of the grassed runs and sat there waiting for the gate to be locked :laugh: That to me means a good kennel, dogs are happy and well looked after and I know they are safe and not disturbing the neighbours barking

Boarding Kennel!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the boarding Kennel I use. To be honest I feel like its more of a holiday for them rather than "being kennelled". And this is coming from someone who is quite paranoid and nutty about my dogs and their welfare!

For us a kennel. Charges $22.00 per day. No discount for more than, one our dogs would want to bunk together, no discount if you provide food and dogs must be

Yearly vacc ( I do 2nd yearly) and the cost for 5 is 100 per day..... Approx.

We tend to travel with or rely on mil and step son.

Guest lavendergirl

For us a kennel. Charges $22.00 per day. No discount for more than, one our dogs would want to bunk together, no discount if you provide food and dogs must be

Yearly vacc ( I do 2nd yearly) and the cost for 5 is 100 per day..... Approx.

We tend to travel with or rely on mil and step son.

I get annoyed that my dog's vaccination schedule is dictated by what is required by a kennel. Why do they have this requirement for vaccinations to be done yearly when the AVA and many vets now recommend 3 yearly?

Hi,

Doing a small poll for a Tafe assignment, asking your preferences on Boarding Kennels v's in home care for your pets when you holiday.

I am talking about paid care not the neighbours feeding them.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Collie ..

I am a dog walker and pet sitter. You might think that this would bias me, but I do what is best for dogs. It is a complex and emotional task for many owners. If you can keep your dog in its home environment that is great, but you want to make sure that it wont bark at night or try and escape or get stolen. I would never leave my dog at a kennel as he is intelligent enough to get over wrought from visits and caging at dog groomers. Thats why I always recommend people to walk their dog daily and make dog friend contacts so they can swap sit dogs when people go on holiday. Anyway there are lots of options eh?