How Many Dogs?

ash1

2 dogs and 4 cats and fish

no more for me, 2 is my limit. The only time i would think of getting a 3rd is if one dog was old and i wanted a puppy so the other dog wouldnt be lonely when the older one passed away.

saying that, it wont happen now, my guys arent good with other dogs so no more till they leave me.. hope that is never

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have owned 6 dogs in the past - currently own 5. They are 3 greyhounds (14 & 2 x 12 & 1/2)plus 2 small dogs (JRX 11 & small mixed breed 6yrs). They all get along great & all live in the house. I never feel any are mising out on attention. 4 would probly be my ideal number because we have a small home but I keep hearing about old dogs needing homes & can't help myself. I'm trying very hard ATM not to bring home number 6.

I have 4 larger dogs - kelpie x, golden, Wolfie x and a boxer, plus I have a small herd of Italian greyhounds lol. All are pets who live inside. I also have 6 pet cats who also live indoors.

I currently have a 6 week old iggy litter, am looking forward to the relative sanity of just the regular crowd here. With the pups in the house too I feel like the animals have taken over lol.

I regularly have a foster IG too, sometimes two. It's chaotic and crazy at mealtimes ugh.. But otherwise it's amazingly calm. Visitors are shocked when they realise how many animals I have in the house as they are all quiet and settled.

Currently I only have one dog of my own in this house and my housemates have one dog, two cats and two budgies. I would go to two possibly when I am settled and in my own home. But I am so enjoying being and 1 dog owner I can give my dog so much more in so many ways.

I have 2 dogs, 2 cats and other creatures - guinea pigs, pet sheep etc.

Up until last week we had 3 dogs.

I would happily have three dogs.

Many years ago we had 3 dogs and 4 cats all happily co-existing. Since then I have had two children and I think the kids create more mess than the animals ever did.

2 dogs - an old poodle x 13 yrs old, and a young standard poodle 5 months

2 is enough for me. I badgered my husband a few years ago to get a puppy, when both our dogs were very old. But he said no, not until one of them passes on.

That happened eventually, and I now have my standard poodle pup (something I have always wanted)

I think he was right. A puppy is a lot of work and I've chosen to love a high maintenance breed. They need lots of grooming, training and exercise (but that's the fun stuff isn't it?).

There are only so many hours in the day. So I think 2 is the magic number for us.

I have owned 6 dogs in the past - currently own 5. They are 3 greyhounds (14 & 2 x 12 & 1/2)plus 2 small dogs (JRX 11 & small mixed breed 6yrs). They all get along great & all live in the house. I never feel any are mising out on attention. 4 would probly be my ideal number because we have a small home but I keep hearing about old dogs needing homes & can't help myself. I'm trying very hard ATM not to bring home number 6.

I might sound like an idiot here, but is that 2 & 12, or 2 x 12 meaning the dog is 24? :eek:

I only own one dog. I live with my parents who own one dog. They are nearly 1 and nearly 4 and it will be hard to split them up as they get on so well!!!

I think I could cope with multiple dogs that got along but with spread out ages around 3 years apart! Especially from a training perspective.

I might sound like an idiot here, but is that 2 & 12, or 2 x 12 meaning the dog is 24? :eek:

I think you will find one grey is 14 and two greys are 12 & a half. Meaning 3 greyhounds all together :)

Only the one at the moment, I'd love to have another Saluki (or two!), but it's not going to happen for a few years as I am living with my mum still. I think Bella would love to have a permanent canine friend to play with, she's adores my friends' dogs who she sometimes has playdates with.

Guest Willow

The most we've had of our own is two. We have two at the moment, but our family situation has changed a lot since we got them, and OH and I have agreed that when we find ourselves in a position of only having one dog, we will leave it at one dog.

When I had no dogs, I wanted 4, but I know now that we are much better suited to just having the one.

We actually said that about all our animals (dogs, cats and rabbits)...as they pass, we won't add more to the family, until the children are much older, and take an interest in having their "own" pet (and are willing and responsible enough to do a large proprotion of the care required for that pet)

I'm too stretched, i can't give any of them the amount of attention I feel would be appropriate.

Up until yesterday, we had five. One went to a home, another went to a foster carer and now the house feels really empty :(

I think larger numbers are something something that take a bit of getting used to but once it becomes routine, it's a lot easier than most people would expect.

We had seven living here for 8 months of last year, ranging in age from 9 years to 2 years.

IMGP9176.jpg

We lost Bliss to cancer in July and then three went home in August. We know have three, Baylee 10 years old in May, Dee 4 years old in July and Zeph 3 years old in April. I will always have a multidog household. :D

I have three- Male Japanese Spitz (Nearly 4 years old) a Male Maltese x (1.5yrs old) and a Female Japanese Spitz (6 months). I really enjoy having three more than I liked having 1 or 2. I might get another in 3 years time.

I think you will find one grey is 14 and two greys are 12 & a half. Meaning 3 greyhounds all together :)

Oh, that's awkward :laugh: :o

Two. And that's the most we've had.

Though if i had the time, space and money, I'd have about 28462486 dogs. :laugh: Maybe not! I wouldn't really want more than two performance dogs, so maybe two sports dogs and a retiree. Probably no more than 3, though I'm certain to break that rule sometime in my life. Hehehe. :o

Lol we have 8 between but only 4 live with us..

In the house we have 4 under 5

Afghan - 4.5ish

Bc - 4 years

Lowchen - 20months

Lakeland - 4 months

And at my parents I have the 12yr old sheltie who is enjoying retirement

At the OH parents place he has the dogs that have become family dogs lol.. 2 standard poodles and a little foxie/ tenty thing lol!!

People still go waaaaaah when we say we have 4 lol..

I have 2 (a sibe and a lappie) and my house mate has 2 (a lab and a GSD). Zero (the sibe) and Riddick (the lab) run together pretty much all the time, Roscoe runs with them occasionally too now he's getting older.

Veikko (the lappie) sees the other dogs but doesn't run with them. She's only 8.5 weeks old though so it'll be a long time before she's allowed out with the others.