Stopping Nipping

Rosiesmum

Like all puppies our 8 week old cavalier likes to nip even more difficult with 3 children who run screaming everytime she does it's like a reward.

Short of picking her up nothing stops her nipping heels socks pants etc

I know it's normal but what is the best way to discipline a she has the puppy zoomies on when she does it and not much distracts her

Like all puppies our 8 week old cavalier likes to nip even more difficult with 3 children who run screaming everytime she does it's like a reward.

Short of picking her up nothing stops her nipping heels socks pants etc

I know it's normal but what is the best way to discipline a she has the puppy zoomies on when she does it and not much distracts her

Your not going to fix it until you stop her being rewarded!! Train the kids to freeze and be boring every time she starts it and she will find a better game to play!!

Invest in a crate so that the kids can be supervised when she is out so that they all learn to respect each other and play appropriately.

Edited by Jumabaar

So just let her keep pulling on socks and pants and ignore her while she does it

Pretty much. My pup LOVES attacking my feet at certain times, and if I react she goes for 10 times as long. If I let her do it, she takes off with my sock, or attackes my toes and gets bored within a few seconds and moves onto the next thing.

It's the reaction, or the "game" she is after, and you are giving it to her by picking her up or reacting in any way.

edit: in puppy pre-school they taught me to distract the pup with a "sit" or "drop" each time they were doing something like that, which I found highly inaffective personally because she was too hyper, but you could start with the training now to use as a re-focus tool in times like these.

Edited by minimax

Being "boring" and standing still rather than reacting can make the game less attractive to them, but didn't really work on my pup. When he started nipping the backs of our legs rather than playfully tugging on pants legs we knew he needed to get the message that this isn't acceptable right away.

The trainer at puppy school recommended carrying a water sprayer around for a little while and squirting the pup whenever he does this and the habit was broken within a few days. I didn't think it would work to be honest, but it was very effective (if a bit annoying, having to walk around with a spray bottle!).

you need to in part train the children as well. They're part of the problem and the dog cannot be the only one told off in the situation. If the kids wont listen I would be putting a puppy pen in between the two of them until you have time to supervise properly.

If the pup goes for a nip, try a gruff 'ah NO'. If the pup ignores you then I usually just grab gently by the scruff, DONT be forceful but be firm. Just hold the pup and say 'AH NO' again and wait until it settles. When it has calmed and you let go if it does not go to bite again give it gentle pats and a toy/treat to reinforce calm behavior.

Being "boring" and standing still rather than reacting can make the game less attractive to them, but didn't really work on my pup. When he started nipping the backs of our legs rather than playfully tugging on pants legs we knew he needed to get the message that this isn't acceptable right away.

The trainer at puppy school recommended carrying a water sprayer around for a little while and squirting the pup whenever he does this and the habit was broken within a few days. I didn't think it would work to be honest, but it was very effective (if a bit annoying, having to walk around with a spray bottle!).

My pup quickly learnt not to do it only when I was carrying the spray bottle ;) Then she learnt to LIKE the spray bottle and would come to me when I was carrying it especially for a spray down! Argh, little monster she is lol

Now the main time she gets bitey and chases feet is when I pick up her poop. So I don't know what poop pickup says to a dog, but it sends her on a crazy foot chasing spree to the point where last night I needed to get someone to come rescue me from her because she had me bailed up in the corner lol (scary 6 month old pug) :p

Thanks everyone. The kids are pretty good I remind them and they have been distracting her with a toy as I wasn't sure what the best solution was. She does have a crate she only nips in her hyper run around phases during the day. So I will encourage them to ignore (she doesn't hurt them at all but I think it is something to be discouraged) and invest in a water bottle if that does not work. I don't think sit or drop will work yet she starts puppy pre-school in 3 weeks.

You can start training sit at a very young age Rosiesmum - you'd be surprised at how quickly they learn this. I bet that if you try this you will have your dog sitting in a day or two :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NHqAW66-gEMy link

I love kikopup - her dogs always look like they are having so much fun when they are being trained/displaying behaviours.

Hi RM

Lucy used to nip a fair bit when she was tiny too. She was worse with my youngest who is 4. I taught him to stand still (like a soldier) & with his arms folded in front of him so she couldn't jump up & grab his hands. Also spraying aeroguard around feet/ankles (the kids - not dogs) was a great repellent. She hated the smell :)

Gosh rogue is 22wks and still nips me, he goes into hyper mode.. I've tried everything water spray, ignore, say ouch loydly, stand like a tree lol.. so now I am In tough mode my arms are coveted in nip marks :-( I keep a lead on him inside and grab it when he is near me and pull it up if he nips.. he has a check collar on. This works after a while but we can have an intense 10/15min battle of wills first though which I do not give in ..

He is beautiful with OH but then he was a lot firmer than me, too firm for my liking but it worked , he gives oh licks all the time..

He did go through a good phase it was easing but I wonder if he is really teething now?? Can't wait for the adult teeth to come through..

That video is great! How many times a day should I start with and for how long for an 8 week old pup?

I taught "sit" in two days with a few minutes here and there several times a day and reinforce it by getting him to sit for his dinner, a treat, a game etc.

I'm not a dog trainer though - maybe you could ask in the training section for more advice on structured training? I'm not sure what the overall opinion on kikopup's videos is here, but I personally find them very helpful.

mumof4girls I would not let a dog trail a leash attached to a check chain he can get it caught

if he nips slip your thumb under his tongue and press firmly, if he throws a fit ignore him. Conversely if he's attached to you roll the top lips into the side teeth and just hold firmly. Dont say a word to him. When he lets go, give him a second and offer your hand. If he nips repeat the process with a firm "AHH'. If not praise him heavily but calmly. You need back ups otherwise when the chains off he'll come in for a bite.

Nipping needs to be dealt with swiftly. If your pup had nipped another dog they would be thrown back with a growl and a very frightening clack of teeth to show them enough is enough. I dont advocate hurting animals but jeez, no pup every suffered irreversible mental harm from being told off the first time it went in for the bite on a human. All my dogs, puppies or adults go through the same process and none ever laid teeth on me from then on even under a lot of stress. A good lesson sticks, a poor lesson simply encourages the dog to try harder - which is always in the dogs nature.

I have a 10 week old great Dane pup, a 2.5 year old son and an 11 month old daughter. My son knows the rules, I taught him straight away. He is happy to let our pup come for attention, and plays with her, but if she starts getting stupid, he automatically growls at her and says "NO SKYLA!" and he walks away. She learnt in a couple days that he is not to be tested, and I taught her in the same time that my daughter is also off limits. She can sniff and observe, but that's it. If she gets rough with me, I grab the back of her neck (Cesar Millan style) and as soon as she lets go, I reward by also letting go. Then she is happy to run off and find something else to chew on. At 10 weeks old, she sits on command and has just mastered drop. Her recal is probably 90%... She is a puppy after all, and that leaf blowing across the ground is way too interesting!!!! Lol!!!

mumof4girls I would not let a dog trail a leash attached to a check chain he can get it caught

if he nips slip your thumb under his tongue and press firmly, if he throws a fit ignore him. Conversely if he's attached to you roll the top lips into the side teeth and just hold firmly. Dont say a word to him. When he lets go, give him a second and offer your hand. If he nips repeat the process with a firm "AHH'. If not praise him heavily but calmly. You need back ups otherwise when the chains off he'll come in for a bite.

Nipping needs to be dealt with swiftly. If your pup had nipped another dog they would be thrown back with a growl and a very frightening clack of teeth to show them enough is enough. I dont advocate hurting animals but jeez, no pup every suffered irreversible mental harm from being told off the first time it went in for the bite on a human. All my dogs, puppies or adults go through the same process and none ever laid teeth on me from then on even under a lot of stress. A good lesson sticks, a poor lesson simply encourages the dog to try harder - which is always in the dogs nature.

Thanks Nekhbet, he is confined to the lounge with a gate and I never leave him with the lead on. OH was very firm hence why he no longer nips him. He grabs the collar or scruff of neck and pushes him down saying NO loudly and firmly Rogue would give a yelp , once he calmed OH would let him up. I do the same but no yelp , I just can't be that hard just not me. Not working though so With our trainers help this is what I now do using the long lead. Tonight though was fabulous I didn't need the long lead he was gentle and no nips might be a one off but it was a lovely night.. I will try your method though ... Nipping is a game to him and the more I tried to stop him the more excited he got.. Brought me to tears some nights thinking I was failing because I was trying so hard.. Anyway fingers crossed I am getting somewhere :-) ..

Hi,

what can I do if my 12 month old dalmatian pup bites my clothes as well as my hands and arms? The litter angel is all over me sometimes, I try to correct him (with tssss or ahhhhh and them make him sit) but not always seems to work... When i walk or i stand without giving him attention he also bites my pants. When I correct him (using a claw hand in the rear legs) just after he bit me, he sometimes tries to get my arms. What am i doing wrong? what can I do? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you