Breed Misidentification

Now that they have tails, I just say lab cross. It gets a lot more people to pat them. Thanks to the media a lot of people are scared of Rotts.

I had a Rotti living next door when I first moved in. Lovely elderly couple as neighbours, but the poor boy was lonely - he howled all night long. He also ran the fence at me, growling and barking if I went outside to hang my washing on the line. If I needed to call in on my neighbours Max (the dog) would be barking and growling and baring his teeth at the door with the wife saying to her husband "make sure you've got hold of him, he'll attack her". He would have too. I was scared of Max. In the wrong household, they can be very very scary.

Having said that - I've met some lovely Rotties since I started showing. The best thing the other weekend was going to a herding clinic and watching the different breeds herd. They are all different in how they prefer to work sheep - BCs all seemed to be working a long way from the sheep. Shelties making sure that the sheep knew they were the boss and not afraid (think its a size thing and the sheep being used to bigger dogs working them), but the most interesting were the Rotts. They worked calmly and could get really close in with the sheep without the sheep freaking out and wanting to run away. Was fascinating to me anyway. They seemed gentle in this setting. Suspect that would be why 4 of them now have their herding title in SA.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you got a side on standing photo of Loki so we can get an indication of her size and structure?

She definitely has the most adorable face... *grin*

T.

Thanks! We think so too. We get so many compliments/comments on her little black eyes, we absolutely love her facial markings. Well, these were the best photos I could find/get--turns out it's hard to get puppies to do what you want in pictures :p. I'll happily accept if you all think she is in fact crossed with corgi, I was just so surprised everyone saw no Aussie shepherd when heaps of the pictures I found of crosses had very similar markings. It's true some could have been wrong themselves, but I did fine some sites that specifically were breeding for ACD X Aussie as a working dog.

post-39475-0-66337500-1335171785_thumb.jpg

Aussies are much, much more common in the USA than they are in Australia and turn up in cross breds much more often over there than they do here.

I don't really see Aussie, but its always hard with cross breds.

Have you got a side on standing photo of Loki so we can get an indication of her size and structure?

She definitely has the most adorable face... *grin*

T.

Thanks! We think so too. We get so many compliments/comments on her little black eyes, we absolutely love her facial markings. Well, these were the best photos I could find/get--turns out it's hard to get puppies to do what you want in pictures :p. I'll happily accept if you all think she is in fact crossed with corgi, I was just so surprised everyone saw no Aussie shepherd when heaps of the pictures I found of crosses had very similar markings. It's true some could have been wrong themselves, but I did fine some sites that specifically were breeding for ACD X Aussie as a working dog.

post-39475-0-66337500-1335171785_thumb.jpg

From the side on shots, I think her legs are too long and her colouring is not totally indicative of Corgi in the mix. Seeing the overall package leads me to think she is an ACD/Koolie mix... the eyes, ears, and colouring are my clues...

T.

We spent yesterday at the animal expo and why my two fluffy show bred BCs get referred to as kelpies is beyond me :rofl:. Its not the first time a stranger has come up and asked me if they are kelpies either :laugh:.

But they are such iconic Border Collies.

Not quite breed misidentification, but sort of - my black pug often gets accused of being a cross because "pugs aren't black, they are brown".

I don't think I've ever seen a brown pug? :confused:

And anyway I would have thought that a pug being a pug is fairly obvious? (to me anyway)They are rather unique!

Not quite breed misidentification, but sort of - my black pug often gets accused of being a cross because "pugs aren't black, they are brown".

And anyway I would have thought that a pug being a pug is fairly obvious? (to me anyway)They are rather unique!

I assume by brown they mean fawn ;)

But know you, you get those "experts" who have seen one pug in their life and therefor know everything about them! Just sitting in Melbourne outside a supermarket for 10 minutes one morning, waiting for my OH to come out, I had 3 different people ask me what she was crossed with, and one refused to believe me when I said she wasn't a cross, she was pure.

s320x240.jpg

We spent yesterday at the animal expo and why my two fluffy show bred BCs get referred to as kelpies is beyond me :rofl:. Its not the first time a stranger has come up and asked me if they are kelpies either :laugh:.

Mine gets the same. He's a chocolate though, so it's a little more understandable. He's also been mistaken several times for an Aussie by Aussie owners.

Apparently Jed is no longer a greyhound; he has passed his green collar test and does not wear a muzzle. People now actually walk up and pat him and ask me what he is!!!!! They also ask me when I will start racing the pups (my whippets) who are turning four later this year, and get shocked when I say they are not greyhounds!!!!

277.jpg

I assume by brown they mean fawn ;)

But know you, you get those "experts" who have seen one pug in their life and therefor know everything about them! Just sitting in Melbourne outside a supermarket for 10 minutes one morning, waiting for my OH to come out, I had 3 different people ask me what she was crossed with, and one refused to believe me when I said she wasn't a cross, she was pure.

s320x240.jpg

She is so sweet.

I know this is silly but everytime I see a pug I half expect it to talk!! (the result of watching Men in Black movies one too many times)